Fore end {anyone help!?

aga man

A bit of a long shot but just putting the feelers out for anyone who might have an old forend  suitable for my old gun as mine broke today. I am going to try and repair but a replacement would be better obviously.

The gun is a 30 old bettinsoli sideplate, not sure on model etc but I believe it is similar to a Lincoln. Sure I have other guns in the cupboard but this is my best pigeon slayer so would love to get it fixed.

Many thanks

20180727_195621.jpg

20180727_195836.jpg

20180727_195936.jpg

Thanks, I was hoping some one would suggest I could be repaired.

There is plenty of material to glue/pin and the split does nip tight together.

I shot a further 25 pigeons this afternoon with zip ties holding it together.?

That can be repaired no problem but its probably the case that the wood has dried out and gone brittle so a couple of internal metal braces, cunningly concealed to pull the wood together will be advantageous.

My experience with just gluing much older guns where the wood has given out is that the split re-appears down the side of the original glue repair very quickly, because the integrity of the wood has gone. A couple of bits of studding to cross brace it and pull the halves together, (nuts and washers recessed below the surface of the wood to hide them), takes up the force of recoil. Its undoubtedly the recoil that's stressed the wood.    

Edited by Vince Green

the gorilla glue i used to fit gun rests in my cabinet needed holding in place for 2 hours .never seen its equal makes super glue look like gnats ****.top tip use very sparingly as it expands 3x and it will look like someone has had a happy moment over your gun.it will bond that good as new.i would need to smash the gun rack and chissel it off the cabinet to get it out now. 

Edited by zx10mike

Available new here (used/ refurbished "Out of Stock" but might be worth an ask?).

https://www.mccloys.com/bettinsoli-new-forend

and here

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/bettinsoli/windsor-iv-bett

Also, which Lincoln is it similar to as one on FleaBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shotgun-Lincoln-STOCK-AND-FOREND-for-the-Over-and-Under-Shotgun-448/312136330905?hash=item48acc66e99%3Ag%3AqqAAAOSwO0Ra~Wgl&_nkw=stock+%26+forend&rt=nc

PM me if you decide on the US one and Numrich won't post?

Edited by Eyefor

31 minutes ago, wabbitbosher said:

I’ve got one New diamond grade forend in and I’m 99% sure I’ve got a good second hand one in too 

Thanks for that. I would be interested in the second hand one if you happen to find it. I have repaired mine as suggested above but would be handy to keep a spare.

Should have asked you to start with, didn't think!?

1 hour ago, demonwolf444 said:

Aga man,

If it breaks again I can repair this for you, potentially have one from another Bettensoli gun also which might fit. Feel free to PM me - only just seen this.

Thanks mate. I have yet to put a good number of shells through it to see if holds. I have glued it using gorilla glue and pinned it with some 4mm welding rod which I also coated in the glue before inserting.

Time will tell!

I am in the construction trade and gorilla glue is used all the while,my first experiment with it was to just run a bead over 2mm thick pine drawer bottom that was split along the grain,didnt bother any prep just poured it over split,amazed its held better than anything else i have used in past and that joint is still strong today,used it ever since.

I think your forend will hold as you dowelled it with metal rods.