Hull cartridge.... is someone taking the peee

Guest stevo

Guest stevo

Just seen Hull cartridges new offering to the game shooting world It’s called .....

The Partridge Cartridge. It’s a 70 mm  32 gram  in 5.5 shot ..... really ?  Oh and £350 a thou ?

Me thinks mr bontoft needs to having a word with himself and then his marketing team . 

With all the hassle at the moment regards game birds being wasted , is it really any wonder why game dealers are turning birds away . These shells will absolutely smash a partridge to bits at pretty much any normal  range ,  And in turn be totally unfit for the table . 

Just my opinion but I really do think it’s about time some common sense was applied when selecting our cartridges . And maybe a little realistic. 

Edited by stevo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn’t agree more that’s more a duck cartridge!

I destroyed a partridge somewhere between 20-25yds last season with 28gms of 6 (my pheasant load) on our syndicate these were RC SIPE 20g. Some of the guns were giving me sh!t about it but fortunately the ‘keeper was stood at the rear of the line picking up and assured everyone it was a good shot - believe me it was dead in the air as it’s head, 1/2 it’s right wing and breast were missing....

when everyone calmed down all we can guess is that some of the pellets bonded together and smashed its poor little body. 

32gm of 5 is what I use for PSG.....?

39 minutes ago, stevo said:

Just seen Hull cartridges new offering to the game shooting world It’s called .....

The Partridge Cartridge. It’s a 70 mm  32 gram  in 5.5 shot ..... really ?  Oh and £350 a thou ?

Me thinks mr bontoft needs to having a word with himself and then his marketing team . 

With all the hassle at the moment regards game birds being wasted , is it really any wonder why game dealers are turning birds away . These shells will absolutely smash a partridge to bits at pretty much any normal  range ,  And in turn be totally unfit for the table . 

Just my opinion but I really do think it’s about time some common sense was applied when selecting our cartridges . And maybe a little realistic. 

Good post and a very valid point, of course the reason they are misleading shooters into believing 5.5's represent an appropriate partridge load is so that they can carry on their industry scam of charging more for bigger shot. You can buy clay 1oz loads in 7's which will kill any pigeon or partridge within 50-60 yards.

Guest stevo

I have used Eley Superbs 28 gram English 7s in a fibre wad for all of my partridge days for as long as I care to remember ( I also use the same cartridge but in plaswad for ABT and UTR ) 

before that I used Eley Impax or Express super game 28 gram 7s and never have I ever felt like I needed more . 

And the people who shoot trap guns at 25-40 metre birds thinking their shooting archangels and need heavy loads. 

Where I load in Salisbury area there’s the chalk valley showing some of the best Partridges in the country and where high bird shoots where first shown. The birds haven’t got higher over the years and back then and now most experienced guns use 30g 5 

3 hours ago, stevo said:

make a great pigeon shell stevo.

18.5grs 7s in my reloads or 18 grm 8s Fiocchi factory seem to do the job very well in my 410, either  #1full chokes  or #11 chokes in my Yilditz seem perfect if I do my part. Don't see the need for anything heavier.  I have been using Hull High Pheasant 6s when pheasant are included.

This will rock your world! They allready make this new cartridge in their existing range!

High Pheasant Extreme in 32gm 6 is really 5.5. There is 20fps difference just to make you feel better! 

These are obviously aimed at the Whitfield,Linhope,Buccleugh type partridge but the market can hardly be huge.

A personal favourite is "spherical tolerance controlled hardened shot" ie.graded!

Marketing tosh! They're giving Gamebore a run for their money!

WR.