Hull cartridge.... is someone taking the peee

Guest stevo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this modern stuff is a load of rubbish in my opinion. 28 gram of number 7 for partridges, simple. Eley have totally missed a trick with their launch of a paper cased 16g, branded VIP, modern twist on a traditional cartridge, disappointing! Why not grand prix or classic game like their 12 and 20g paper cased cartridges? I do however respect Hull for keeping to the 3 crowns brand for their paper cased cartridges and also launching a true 16g clay load this year. I think the British manufactures have lost their way somewhat over the last 10 years. 

55 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

I personally shot more partridges with Hull Superfast Pigeon 29g and see no reason to change, I just bought more pigeon cartridges so I had some left for early season partridge. Works well on pigeons equally as good on driven partridges.

This ^

On 28/07/2018 at 16:27, stevo said:

I have used Eley Superbs 28 gram English 7s in a fibre wad for all of my partridge days for as long as I care to remember ( I also use the same cartridge but in plaswad for ABT and UTR ) 

before that I used Eley Impax or Express super game 28 gram 7s and never have I ever felt like I needed more . 

Pray tell, Stevo, where did you get these?

Cheers.

5 hours ago, busbiter said:

All this modern stuff is a load of rubbish in my opinion. 28 gram of number 7 for partridges, simple. Eley have totally missed a trick with their launch of a paper cased 16g, branded VIP, modern twist on a traditional cartridge, disappointing! Why not grand prix or classic game like their 12 and 20g paper cased cartridges? I do however respect Hull for keeping to the 3 crowns brand for their paper cased cartridges and also launching a true 16g clay load this year. I think the British manufactures have lost their way somewhat over the last 10 years. 

I take your point and understand where you're coming from but do wonder who it is that's wandering around lost in the woods - the user or the maker. Are they made because the maker believes that's what we want or is it because we believe that that's what we need? As we're talking 7s, partridge and Hull, you could come to a conclusion which it is by making a judgement based on the fact that it was found necessary to stop production of the High Pheasant in 7s because of lack of demand.

13 minutes ago, stevo said:

My local . Failing that from JC

i told you about them ages ago ?

You certainly did and I listened. I tried the 7&1/2s which I could get and they were the business pattern-wise so was hoping the 7s would pattern similarly. I can't/couldn't get any locally and JC didn't/ don't stock them. I e-mailed Eley to ask and they didn't reply. At this point I had usedup my allocation of patience and went to Gamebore.

PS For anyone not privvy to our conversation, we're talkin fibre wads.

Edited by wymberley

Guest stevo
7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

You certainly did and I listened. I tried the 7&1/2s which I could get and they were the business pattern-wise so was hoping the 7s would pattern similarly. I can't/couldn't get any locally and JC didn't/ don't stock them. I e-mailed Eley to ask and they didn't reply. At this point I had usedup my allocation of patience and went to Gamebore.

PS Foe anyone not privvy to our conversation, we're talkin fibre wads.

Hmmm that’s a bit rubbish , do you want me to make some enquiries at my end for for fibre 7s ? 

All these BS names on a cartridge are just a sales gimmick, they are an irrelevance! All that is of interest to a shooter is they are broadly suitable for what you plan to shoot,.........and price!.......you can then choose for yourself a cartridge that suits your needs!

Why do we need the manufacturers to tell us what to use and in effect, select cartridges for us?...........Will a size 6shot "Pigeon" or "clay" cartridge not kill a Pheasant or a Grouse the same as a "game" cartridge? And vice-versa?

7 minutes ago, stevo said:

Hmmm that’s a bit rubbish , do you want me to make some enquiries at my end for for fibre 7s ? 

Many thanks , Stevo, that's very kind of you to offer. But it's not necessary. I was quite happy doing my thing and then decided to act my age and downsize in terms of pellet size and load weight - not realising the state we'd somehow managed to get ourselves in regarding the availability of 7s as compared to that which had previously been the case. Gamebore came to the rescue albeit with a slight cost penalty and as I wasn't going to get caught out again I stocked up with their offerings.

Guest stevo
2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks , Stevo, that's very kind of you to offer. But it's not necessary. I was quite happy doing my thing and then decided to act my age and downsize in terms of pellet size and load weight - not realising the state we'd somehow managed to get ourselves in regarding the availability of 7s as compared to that which had previously been the case. Gamebore came to the rescue albeit with a slight cost penalty and as I wasn't going to get caught out again I stocked up with their offerings.

No problem. You know where I am if you change your mind ?

1 hour ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Hull have dropped their 30gm 7 from the HP range this year. They’ve been perfect through skeet and improved cylinder on Essex partridge and pheasant. I’ll be using their 30gm 6 or looking for another manufacturer that makes a 30gm 7 in 12g. 

Right, straight off, I'm talking 28g. I shot the HP because by design they patterned tight which kept the strike rate up for the smaller quarry at the more usual ranges. I've got just397 left. I'm finding that the Gamebore Blue Diamond - yes, it's a clay pigeon load -  and Super Game High Bird both in 7s in my guns pattern somewhat tighter thus compensating for the loss of 2g and are killing (woodpigeon) very well indeed. Sadly, you can not get the latter in the 30g offering

3 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Hull have dropped their 30gm 7 from the HP range this year. They’ve been perfect through skeet and improved cylinder on Essex partridge and pheasant. I’ll be using their 30gm 6 or looking for another manufacturer that makes a 30gm 7 in 12g. 

Or just buy any of the many continental 28 gm 7.5s.

17 hours ago, panoma1 said:

All these BS names on a cartridge are just a sales gimmick, they are an irrelevance! All that is of interest to a shooter is they are broadly suitable for what you plan to shoot,.........and price!.......you can then choose for yourself a cartridge that suits your needs!

Why do we need the manufacturers to tell us what to use and in effect, select cartridges for us?...........Will a size 6shot "Pigeon" or "clay" cartridge not kill a Pheasant or a Grouse the same as a "game" cartridge? And vice-versa?

You,re talking sense! It,s a  load of bovine doo dah from the manufacturers, and their marketing people! And just another excuse to bang up the prices! Personally, I use 5,s for Duck, 6 for Pheasant, and 7,s for partridge and pigeon. In 28g, 30g or 32g, whichever I have with me at the time! And, to date, I have never had a complaint from the birds I,ve shot, that I was using the wrong load for their species!

Personally I try to use one cartridge a 32g 5 in 12 bore that I know well as this breads consistency and confidence.  

Each to their own and if you like something else your choice (but your wrong ?) or if you want to change as you go again your choice.  

I’m glad cartridge makers give us a choice as you can then find what’s good for you.  

Guest cookoff013
57 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

You,re talking sense! It,s a  load of bovine doo dah from the manufacturers, and their marketing people! And just another excuse to bang up the prices! Personally, I use 5,s for Duck, 6 for Pheasant, and 7,s for partridge and pigeon. In 28g, 30g or 32g, whichever I have with me at the time! And, to date, I have never had a complaint from the birds I,ve shot, that I was using the wrong load for their species!

5s for duck? is that lead? and in scotland?

43 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Personally I try to use one cartridge a 32g 5 in 12 bore that I know well as this breads consistency and confidence.  

Each to their own and if you like something else your choice (but your wrong ?) or if you want to change as you go again your choice.  

I’m glad cartridge makers give us a choice as you can then find what’s good for you.  

Same here, Hull High Pheasant Extreme 32g 5 is my go to cartridge in Fibre or Plastic, sometimes use heavier.