Hull cartridge.... is someone taking the peee

Guest stevo

16 hours ago, wymberley said:

Right, straight off, I'm talking 28g. I shot the HP because by design they patterned tight which kept the strike rate up for the smaller quarry at the more usual ranges. I've got just397 left. I'm finding that the Gamebore Blue Diamond - yes, it's a clay pigeon load -  and Super Game High Bird both in 7s in my guns pattern somewhat tighter thus compensating for the loss of 2g and are killing (woodpigeon) very well indeed. Sadly, you can not get the latter in the 30g offering

These boys do a 30g fibre no 7 Wimbers.  http://www.caledoniancc.com/products/game/traditional-loads/classic-12-gauge.html

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

Personally I try to use one cartridge a 32g 5 in 12 bore that I know well as this breads consistency and confidence.  

Each to their own and if you like something else your choice (but your wrong ?) or if you want to change as you go again your choice.  

I’m glad cartridge makers give us a choice as you can then find what’s good for you.  

The choice is great....it's the stupid generally misleading names they put on cartridges, in order to catch the inexperienced or unwary I find annoying!

On 30/07/2018 at 17:27, wymberley said:

Thank 'e kindly. I'd been made aware of these and also the fact that Henry Krank might well have some. However, I think I'm now sorted for the duration.

Great . I agree 30g of no 7 is a superb load !

23 hours ago, Stonepark said:

They are Eleyhawk produced after they were acquired in 2015.

Yes, I got that. Not that caladonian after all . The Spanish Inquisition.

Edited by Whitebridges

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2018 at 17:27, wymberley said:

Thank 'e kindly. I'd been made aware of these and also the fact that Henry Krank might well have some. However, I think I'm now sorted for the duration.

How did you get on with the pro game 7's?  Strangely enough I compared the contents with a driven grouse cartridges by Hull. Very similar! 

46 minutes ago, Wasabi said:

How did you get on with the pro game 7's?  Strangely enough I compared the contents with a driven grouse cartridges by Hull. Very similar! 

I've not tried them in the Webley and Scott yet - just about to when I noticed that the new Kickeeze pad was defective - when viewed from the rear there was a series of splits running through it that seemed to get bigger as you looked at it. Collecting the gun with a replaced item imminently. Since having the Chapuis Teague'd, very well indeed. Although they don't pattern as tight as the Gamebore but you don't always need tight just as long as the pattern is well distributed. The Pro Game certainly fall into that category.

On 30/07/2018 at 14:49, aga man said:

Yes exactly, or even Gamebore white gold/blue diamond both of which use a 28gm load of 2.4mm {7}.

I was told Gamebore game carts are continental sizes (so 1/2 size bigger) but apparently their clay carts aren’t?! 

Any ideas? 

I bought some slabs of white golds - 28g 8s. Are you actually 7 1/2’s ?? ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I was told Gamebore game carts are continental sizes (so 1/2 size bigger) but apparently their clay carts aren’t?! 

Any ideas? 

I bought some slabs of white golds - 28g 8s. Are you actually 7 1/2’s ?? ?‍♂️

Yes their website shows the WG 8's as 2.3mm {uk 7.5} . Not all their clays cartridges use continental sizes those using diamond shot do.

https://gamebore.com/uk/clay

On 29/07/2018 at 14:24, johnnytheboy said:

I personally shot more partridges with Hull Superfast Pigeon 29g and see no reason to change, I just bought more pigeon cartridges so I had some left for early season partridge. Works well on pigeons equally as good on driven partridges.

I think they have noticed more and more people doing just that. Firstly they weren’t available during the game season, now they are but they have bumped the price up by more than £30/1000!

I'm relatively new to shooting and without shooting friends/relatives have had to figure out a lot for myself.  That said, there's plenty of info out there that's not difficult to find, such as this splendid site(:)), that makes it much easier to cut through marketing guff.  Seems too many people get hung up on technical stuff like chokes/carts/barrel length etc when the weakest link in the chain is, in most cases, the bloke behind the gun!  I like reading technical stuff but in the end like to keep things as simple and consistent as possible whether shooting game or clays.

To me, Hull's new cart just looks like a more expensive cart for people doing more expensive shooting - a good way for Hull to ramp up its margins with some new packaging/branding.

12 minutes ago, MisterGain said:

I'm relatively new to shooting and without shooting friends/relatives have had to figure out a lot for myself.  That said, there's plenty of info out there that's not difficult to find, such as this splendid site(), that makes it much easier to cut through marketing guff.  Seems too many people get hung up on technical stuff like chokes/carts/barrel length etc when the weakest link in the chain is, in most cases, the bloke behind the gun!  I like reading technical stuff but in the end like to keep things as simple and consistent as possible whether shooting game or clays.

To me, Hull's new cart just looks like a more expensive cart for people doing more expensive shooting - a good way for Hull to ramp up its margins with some new packaging/branding.

Commonly known as the "nut behind the trigger" and your points about people being overwhelmed with technical stuff are very valid.

44 minutes ago, MisterGain said:

I'm relatively new to shooting and without shooting friends/relatives have had to figure out a lot for myself.  That said, there's plenty of info out there that's not difficult to find, such as this splendid site(), that makes it much easier to cut through marketing guff.  Seems too many people get hung up on technical stuff like chokes/carts/barrel length etc when the weakest link in the chain is, in most cases, the bloke behind the gun!  I like reading technical stuff but in the end like to keep things as simple and consistent as possible whether shooting game or clays.

Yep, for many things KISS is sound advice and particularly so when fishing and shooting. The problem is though is that advice is a damned sight easier to follow if you know and understand what you're doing and particularly so when live quarry shooting. Fortunately, one man in particular among the many has made it easier for us. Once you've got to understand what Gough Thomas' definition of maximum range actually means then it's simply a matter of relaxing and enjoying oneself. Simple.

1 hour ago, MisterGain said:

I'm relatively new to shooting and without shooting friends/relatives have had to figure out a lot for myself.  That said, there's plenty of info out there that's not difficult to find, such as this splendid site(:)), that makes it much easier to cut through marketing guff.  Seems too many people get hung up on technical stuff like chokes/carts/barrel length etc when the weakest link in the chain is, in most cases, the bloke behind the gun!  I like reading technical stuff but in the end like to keep things as simple and consistent as possible whether shooting game or clays.

You're on the right road :good:

On 28/07/2018 at 22:34, motty said:

To be honest, it is hardly surprising to me that companies release this kind of offering. You only have to look at these pages to see what loads people think are the minimum to kill a pigeon!

1 1/2oz of 3's as you well know!!!

On 30/07/2018 at 12:45, welshwarrior said:

Personally I try to use one cartridge a 32g 5 in 12 bore that I know well as this breads consistency and confidence.  

Each to their own and if you like something else your choice (but your wrong ?) or if you want to change as you go again your choice.  

I’m glad cartridge makers give us a choice as you can then find what’s good for you.  

I try and do the same during the season. My only difference is I don't use Blackgolds when i'm decoying pigeon.

On 20/08/2018 at 16:24, rimfire4969 said:

I try and do the same during the season. My only difference is I don't use Blackgolds when i'm decoying pigeon.

I use Black gold Dark Storm in 30g 6 for everything now s the pigeon cartridges aren’t that much cheaper in relation to the volumes I Shoot (at) and consistency is king for me, the only exception is Black Gold 35g 5’s for tall stuff (or Hull HPX 32/5 if I can’t get the black gold)