Disco 2 V8 ace bypass kit.

NatureBoy

I've never fitted an "ACE bypass kit" but I have replaced the pipes on my own TD5 (all of them) and a friend's vehicle (just the rears). In my opinion it's a sight easier and a far better option to do this than to de-ACE the car. ACE is a very good system and makes a significant difference to the way the car drives - I know this from experience! The seals that go into the valve block are a rubbish design and, unless they're leaking, are best left alone. Mine were leaking so I re-engineered the block to accept stud fittings sealed with Dowty washers; it's not going to leak there again, ever. Even if it did , it's now a simple fix. Apart from the pump and maybe it's immediate pipework, I would think that the TD5 and V8 ACE components are the  same in any case.

I had the same problem(s) on my 2003 TD5 Discovery 2.

I just removed the ACE completely. I bought a set of used anti roll bars from a non-ace Disco, fitted them with new bushes. I also removed the ACE pump and fitted a dummy pulley kit.

TBH, the way I drive my Disco I can't tell any difference at all..... just my opinion.

Mat

I have searched and been told there isn't a bypass kit for the 4L V8s. So looks like get it repaired or pass it on. I am not a great Mechanic or have the time at mo. It 99yr top spec 7 seater with extras, dvd  player and screens in rear of seats, parking sensors and light up grade. Got personal plate and gas conversion to but still don't think it worth a lot?? Garage recon pipes weeping in several places and hard to do. Any idea how much it would be to replace all or easy way round it to keep it going and possibly become my shooting truck?    NB

Just where exactly is it leaking? The rear pipe job I did recently was about £200 for parts (two pipes and a couple of compression fittings) and it's not a difficult a job. The fronts are a bit more tricky as they have to be joined. The original one-piece front pipes are fitted to the chassis before the body is decked and therefore cannot be removed/refitted as a whole in service. If the valve block seals are leaking and/or the block is corroded then you are in a bit more trouble...

I considered swapping to roll bars in my Disco 2 when the ACE pump failed, leaking fluid copiously.

However, it happened at a time when I was quite ill and I couldn't face the idea of doing that job myself.

I had the pump replaced with a new one and system refilled/bled etc.

That was the single highest expense in 10 years of owning that car. I sold the car fairly soon afterwards.