Unpatriotic?

getthegat

He ain't racing for his country, he's racing for himself!.....so patriotism doesn't come in to it! If any of us blokes could attract the money he does (and pull Nicole Sherzinger!) we would!.......so I can't condemn him for that, I don't watch or follow motorsport and have no opinion on him one way or the other!...... however I do have an opinion on Nicole Sherzinger........but I'll keep that to myself! Lol! ?

6 minutes ago, sako751sg said:

Don't like him but it's not unpatriotic.

Too many folk think we all should support the Brits no matter what but a bit short sighted imo.

I don't think the OP is calling Lewis unpatriotic but might be wrong.

Aah okay! Might've got the wrong end of the stick there!

6 hours ago, getthegat said:

Yes he has talent for sure, just find him hard to warm to or get behind. Didn't like the way his fans all cheered when Vettel crashed out last week. 

As do Vettel fans when Hamilton has a problem. I can’t stand Vettel. All that raising his finger when he wins. 

I remember a few years ago somebody on here posted about a friend who had a very poorly child and Hamilton went out of his way to take the child on a tour of the factory, let him sit in car etc. He does a lot for others that isn’t advertised. 

8 hours ago, getthegat said:

Yes he has talent for sure, just find him hard to warm to or get behind. Didn't like the way his fans all cheered when Vettel crashed out last week. 

It is rather that your problem is with "unsporting" Hamilton fans celebrating when Vettel has a problem!

Not sure what the op’s point is. Opposing fans have always cheered crashes that promote their favoured rider.

As for patriotism, why should any driver feel they are driving for their country? They nearly always start racing by self or family funding. Only when they approach the top do the public suddenly decide its all about nationalism.

I am in the dark as to how patriotism got into the discussion, other than a totally misleading topic title.

I think Lewis Hamilton is arrogant and thinks almost entirely of himself, but what exactly is wrong with that. There have been many rather nasty racing drivers - Ayrton Senna - great driver, unless he is deliberately pushing someone off the track.

When I compare Lewis Hamilton to Amir Khan, Wayne Rooney, Alex Higgins and more, he seems quite likeable compared to them and doesn't knock pedestrians down, hire prostitutes or head butt referees.

Being World Class is no guarantee of being a nice person, but he is far nicer than any of them.

28 minutes ago, al4x said:

I didn’t realise how short he is,  we’ve a set of his overalls in at work and they are tiny.  Worn for practice in China not even a race and they were sold for 16.5k 

Very few tall F1 drivers, Schumacher was 5.7", one or two decent ones who are normal size such as Webber and Coulthard but they're a bit like horse jockeys in that smaller and lighter usually goes faster (all things being equal). Prost and Senna too were both tiny and dominated their era. 

11 hours ago, getthegat said:

Patriotic. He's British. Shouldn't we all be rooting for him. Maybe it's the fashion side of him I'm not inamered about. What was that hair style today ? 

The hairstyle today is better than his one last year. His little thin strip of beard looked like a chinstrap holding his hair on. :lol:

I think he's single minded, full of self belief and confidence. If it comes across as arrogance then so be it. He wants to win at all costs and not much else comes into it.  It’s certainly worked for him. 

Senna wasn’t a particular pleasant adversary, nor is Alonso. It’s not a popularity contest. 

Off circuit he’s probably a very nice bloke. 

Im not sure what patriotism has to do with it.