Unpatriotic?

getthegat

On 29/07/2018 at 21:55, Hamster said:

Very few tall F1 drivers, Schumacher was 5.7", one or two decent ones who are normal size such as Webber and Coulthard but they're a bit like horse jockeys in that smaller and lighter usually goes faster (all things being equal). Prost and Senna too were both tiny and dominated their era. 

James Hunt was almost 6'.  

25 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

James Hunt was almost 6'.  

Same as Coulthard and Webber but even back in Hunt's era I'd say that wouldn't have qualified as tall, compared to F1 drivers maybe but in general that's probably just par ?! 

15 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

and so does Geraint Thomas

And so does my Brother ?

what does it matter where they live or pay tax ( or at least minimal taxes).

Monaco has many many more attractions than just financial incentives- but if we’re talking sporting personalities of F1 then it’s most of them 

Mercedes are paying him £40 million a year ...he’s obviously ticking all the boxes for them . Where does unpatriotic come into it , it’s his job . The likes of Hunt , Hill Coultard have all been champions but to do it multiple times takes that bit extra that sets them apart , bit like Digweed does on the clays ..

I admire his talent but like many sports money has ruined the overall appeal for me. I enjoyed motor sports - and football, rugby, etc etc - when we could relate to the individuals but now they are elevated to a level where most people worship the wealth and associated lifestyle rather than the sporting prowess. Reality TV is the same - more youngsters applied to be on Love Island than applied to train as doctors........

2 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

I admire his talent but like many sports money has ruined the overall appeal for me. I enjoyed motor sports - and football, rugby, etc etc - when we could relate to the individuals but now they are elevated to a level where most people worship the wealth and associated lifestyle rather than the sporting prowess. Reality TV is the same - more youngsters applied to be on Love Island than applied to train as doctors........

That is the world we live in know, famous for being famous without any genuine ability!

16 hours ago, Hamster said:

Same as Coulthard and Webber but even back in Hunt's era I'd say that wouldn't have qualified as tall, compared to F1 drivers maybe but in general that's probably just par ?! 

Met James Hunt at Doncaster Racecourse....he was showing his budgies! (Yes, I know, a strange hobby for a F1 driver!) I,m 6'2" and he was almost as tall..........today, everything is focussed on the weight in the car, and the space needed to shoehorn a driver in. I doubt we will ever see tall guys again in F1.

16 hours ago, Dekers said:

Commonly drunk, smoked too much, was up all hours, and had more women than I can dream of...but somehow still won the World Championship.:D:lol:

Oh how times have changed! :good:

I liked him!  Good driver, and fearless! And told it how it was.....scaring Murray!

13 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Doesn't Hamilton live in Monaco? at least for tax purposes

If Corby gets in, I might move there myself!  Gotta protect my State Pension somehow!?  ?

3 hours ago, moose man said:

Mercedes are paying him £40 million a year ...he’s obviously ticking all the boxes for them . Where does unpatriotic come into it , it’s his job . The likes of Hunt , Hill Coultard have all been champions but to do it multiple times takes that bit extra that sets them apart , bit like Digweed does on the clays ..

and depends on wether your team and car are the dominant ones in the sport! And if your face fits...................