Air Arms or BSA

chady

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, chady said:

Thanks. 

Do so I take it these regs cause a load of problems? 

its an extra place you could get a leak but there not normally a problem, if you read up on them a lot of folk think you only really need them on FAC guns.

if you go AA or BSA and get a pump keep it topped up i doubt you'll notice much of a power curve, how many shots would you normally use in a session?

amongst my 11 air rifles i have an aa s410 in 22,also have bsa ultra early model and a new scorpion se synthetic both in 177,all three are very accurate,bsa early mags were troublesome indexing  but since been rectified also early mags wont work in new bsa,s but new mags will work in early bsa models,my choice now to hunt with is the scorpion,very pleased with it.

I’m in bed trying not to go to sleep as as soon as I do I have got to get two kids up for 06:00 drop them at inlaws and be at work for 07:00! 

Its a mine field out there. The 410 is approx £100 cheaper Thant the 510. So that’s out. 

So it’s 410 or scorpion at the best deal I can find second hand  

That’s another headache found a good setup but it’s .22 not 1.77 

Hi mice 

Sorry for the delay but im chilling by the swimming pool .?

Well as we all know im a bsa fan boy. And bruno likes his air arms. 

Both are great guns made by british firms .have been around for ages and have had plenty of updates over those years .this has lead to plenty of aftermarket parts and accesories alvailable for both guns .including regs etc .

The main reasons i prefer the scorpion over the. 410 -

1.   15.5 mm thick free floating barrel on the bsa .11 mm suported on the air arms . (This is a better barrel system ) 

2. The bsa mag is self actuating so is very slick and cycling the bolt only acts on cocking the gun .as opposed to the air arms which cocks the gun and mag at the same time .this makes is a touch harder and more notchy imo.

I dont like the safety position on the trigger on aa  410 .bsas is fine .

The 410 is lighter than the scorpion. But thats due to the skinny barrel 

Shot count for a scorp se in .177 is around 65 shots from 230 - 130 bar. These are very good shots with around 15 fps total variation .ie .you wont  see any poi shift over this speed out to 50 yds .

Dont know the 410 shot curve as well maybe bruno can help with that. ? 

There is more but im off for a swim .

IMG_20180730_093214.jpg

Glad to oblige Stu - .410 carbine in .22 (like mine) will fire 50 shots with a maximum deviation of 1% in velocity (7fps) or just over 60 shots if you accept a 1.5% variation (9.5fps) according to the AA owners forum. I fill to 170 bar and normally carry 70 pellets with me on a hunting trip (2 x magazines+52 in a plastic tub) so I know to recharge when I run out of pellets but usually I top up after 2 or 3 trips or if pressure is below 140bar when I get home, charging to max (190bar) simply wastes pellets as the first handful of shots will strike low.

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Glad to oblige Stu - .410 carbine in .22 (like mine) will fire 50 shots with a maximum deviation of 1% in velocity (7fps) or just over 60 shots if you accept a 1.5% variation (9.5fps) according to the AA owners forum. I fill to 170 bar and normally carry 70 pellets with me on a hunting trip (2 x magazines+52 in a plastic tub) so I know to recharge when I run out of pellets but usually I top up after 2 or 3 trips or if pressure is below 140bar when I get home, charging to max (190bar) simply wastes pellets as the first handful of shots will strike low.

I meant to add Bruno, you take how many pellets!! I get excited if i fire three shots, best day this year being 4? two rats one squirrel and the forth into the ground. So i just take two mags out and that's only in case i loose one, hasn't happened yet and there is a tin in the car.

52 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I meant to add Bruno, you take how many pellets!! I get excited if i fire three shots, best day this year being 4? two rats one squirrel and the forth into the ground. So i just take two mags out and that's only in case i loose one, hasn't happened yet and there is a tin in the car.

I really do enjoy the back and forth chat between these two guys. My old granddaddy used to tell me to shut my mouth and open my ears ..well now it includes eyes, as I learn something else every day on here.

However ...  like you Mice, I have two mags loaded for my AA S200 and a small plastic box with enough for two reloads but rarely needed. In fact rarely get into the second mag unless I get bored and start shooting at flies on the slurry pit wall:lol:.    usually have about 20 pellets for my TX200 which will see me through an evening maggie shooting.   BUT....of course I realise that there are others out there who enjoy plinking and will shoot many more.

Thanks for the constant education fellas, much appreciated.

Edited by Walker570

3 minutes ago, chady said:

I won’t bring in the Hw 110..... 

i think im going down the shop wit some cash and just walk out with one!!

but the HW 110 nice! 

If I am honest, if you get a Scorpion like the one I had then you won’t want or need anything else. The safety is a bit clunky but mine was SO accurate with JSBs (once I obviously sorted the 1st gen mags) that all other rifles Ihave had since are judged against it.  

HW100k all day long  ,Two mags (still the best)  , silencer (still the best) , cant double load, regulated  , best cocking and loading system  , better built , very accurate .

That is why I have Two and HW110 . 

Out of the 12 guns I have ,then HW100k.177 would be the last gun I would sell 

TBH Mice, I'm a bit weird! Even though 70 pellets could be as many shots as I get in a month, if I have the thought in the back of my head that I might run out then it messes with both my brain cells and I cannot relax - everything needs to be perfect when I sally forth or I don't feel right - phone in the correct pocket, boot laces double tied, face veil tucked inside my hat along with both gloves (that I never wear) - the list goes on. My lad is the same to a degree with clay shooting - if he misses the first clay then we may as well just go home - think it could be a family thing :ernyha:.

Edited by bruno22rf

The AA is a cracking gun , I had a .177 carbine , and it was very accurate , and very light . 

But I didn't like the safety button in the trigger, (which dropped out , god knows where) , and the indexing post can be fragile

if like me you have sausages for fingers , and you shoot in the cold and dark.  Its not great being a mile away from the car

when the little brass finger bends or snaps , you can however still take the mag out and load it single shot.

BSA Scorpion SE  Tactical , is the best gun I have ever owned, a truly great all rounder , totally dependable , and extremely robust..

I have fitted a Huma Regulator to mine a HW Silencer , filled the air tube  with drinking straws (to de -ping it), and its virtually silent.

60 plus shots @11.4 ft/lbs.

I have a R10 SE FAC (Huma).22. , A HW110 (Awesome).177, HW100S.177. HW95K..22.

I love the Scorpion , its the one i wouldnt sell.

On 28/07/2018 at 23:14, villaman said:

The mags let down any of the AA guns  and the BSA are not the best but never had a problem with either . 

R10 is regulated unlike air arms , all though air arms have started to reg some guns just like daystate and once again they both said no need to reg guns so why do it 

We all know a reg gun is far better than a stupid power curve gun don't we !!

The thing is, regulated guns give you a more consistent power curve..BUT you've got more to go wrong, seals, wandering power, etc