Thirsty pigeon

aga man

I have never done it myself , but I have heard of people decoying pigeons around a watering hole.

If it did work , this last 2 / 3 weeks would have been good weather for that type of decoying.

10 hours ago, aga man said:

Found this else where on the net but it demonstrates how versatile the humble Woodie can be when it needs a drink!

When fishing, I have seen quite a few pigeons land on lakes and rivers for a drink. They do spend a surprisingly long time on the water, I have often thought they would not be able to takeoff, but they do.

Slightly off topic, but I fished a large chalk lake with high sides and a shooting estate around it. On one windy Shoot day six dead partridges fell into the lake, as nobody came to collect them I scooped them up with a landing net and took them home. One was quite badly bruised, whether by hitting the water, or shot too close.......ferrets enjoyed it.

7 minutes ago, la bala said:

One of the only birds I have seen that drinks without having to tip its head back to swallow.

Indeed!, often drinks with half its head submerged too, which I find weird.

Image result for woodpigeon drinking

Edited by aga man

17 hours ago, la bala said:

One of the only birds I have seen that drinks without having to tip its head back to swallow.

17 hours ago, aga man said:

Indeed!, often drinks with half its head submerged too, which I find weird.

Image result for woodpigeon drinking

Pigeons and doves are the only birds with the ability to suck up water, whereas all other birds do not have this ability and have to raise their heads and so use gravity in order to drink.

I have in the past put a couple of decoys on a cattle trough adjacent to wheat/barley fields in dry weather to quite good effect and bagged a few coming in to drink. Worked well for me.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy