A day in the sun

motty

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I wonder if the day will come where the dealers will buy steel shot pigeons at a higher rate than lead shot pigeons for the likes of falconry fraternity , they will need a device to show they had been shot with steel and if they did , how long would that market last for ?

I have already started selling to the  falconry fraternity direct for 50p per bird sold 200 to date 

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

I wonder if the day will come where the dealers will buy steel shot pigeons at a higher rate than lead shot pigeons for the likes of falconry fraternity , they will need a device to show they had been shot with steel and if they did , how long would that market last for ?

I have often wondered about such a device as there is bound to be some folk who try to offload lead shot birds as steel shot. Perhaps an ordinary metal detector would do it?

As for how long the market will last, it seems very positive. One chap I supplied at the weekend said their falcon breeding unit can use 9000 woodies a year! the price will no doubt go down though as others move over to steel. He thought my birds were cheap at 50p each.

26 minutes ago, aga man said:

I have often wondered about such a device as there is bound to be some folk who try to offload lead shot birds as steel shot. Perhaps an ordinary metal detector would do it?

As for how long the market will last, it seems very positive. One chap I supplied at the weekend said their falcon breeding unit can use 9000 woodies a year! the price will no doubt go down though as others move over to steel. He thought my birds were cheap at 50p each.

Up until the weekend when Motty took his to the dealers we were getting 25p frozen and 30p fresh , all right , we were never going to be rich but by taking two freezers full which total to around 300 they did pay for the cartridges , or helped towards it , now at 10p it would barely cover the fuel although I would make a day of it and still take them .

Apart from stainless steel , ordinary steel is ferrous metal , and lead is non ferrous metal , so I would imagine the gear they have got nowadays would detect one from the other with no trouble at all , for example a magnet would pick steel up but wouldn't pick lead up .

2 hours ago, aga man said:

I agree some  unscrupulous people will do that that's why I show them the bag of empty steel carts and full boxes of them that I used to shoot the bag with, but as with the metal detector there could be birds in the bag of steel shot ones  that have been pricked with lead shot previously and lived on and could make you look untrustworthy