At last some cooler weather and some pigeons

Mightymariner

This hot weather is OK but hasn't been great for pigeons. I don't like sitting in the baking sun so I have avoided shooting.

The weather turned on Friday so Saturday I planned a few hours before heading off on holiday.

Conditions were perfect, cool, windy and cloudy.

I needed to shoot somewhere close to home so I could get back and out for dinner, so some very recently cut rape was on the agenda, which lies on the town boundary. I knew two other local shooters might be out but thought there might be enough for all of us.

These fields have had birds on all winter and through the summer, so I know there is a good line. However, when I arrived I could see a large cultivator discing up the fields. Nothing to lose I parked and watched. He had already done three smaller fields so I figured I could shoot one of those safely.

As I watched plenty of pigeons were flitting about in the turned over rape. It looked promising. I decided on the furthest field, a narrowish length with a good high hedge and trees to the west, meaning I could set up with the strong south-westerly at my back.

I set up in the most likely spot, where I thought I may decoy a few or intercept them flighting back.

A few minutes in and the first bird curled high over, almost stationary in the wind. He dropped. On each shot more pigeons lifted from the from and headed towards me, often giving me another two or three shots.

It continued nicely all afternoon, and was especially hot between 4-5pm. I had a lot of misses but a few memorable shots and some left and rights. 

I picked 44 and lost quite a few in the high hedge. Finishing earlier than I would like, I text the game dealer to drop the birds off only to discover he was shut for two weeks! Disaster until he agreed I could drop them off and put in his freezer. Thank goodness, as I don't know what state they would have been in if I had left them in my cellar for a week!

6 hours ago, Mightymariner said:

This hot weather is OK but hasn't been great for pigeons. I don't like sitting in the baking sun so I have avoided shooting.

The weather turned on Friday so Saturday I planned a few hours before heading off on holiday.

Conditions were perfect, cool, windy and cloudy.

I needed to shoot somewhere close to home so I could get back and out for dinner, so some very recently cut rape was on the agenda, which lies on the town boundary. I knew two other local shooters might be out but thought there might be enough for all of us.

These fields have had birds on all winter and through the summer, so I know there is a good line. However, when I arrived I could see a large cultivator discing up the fields. Nothing to lose I parked and watched. He had already done three smaller fields so I figured I could shoot one of those safely.

As I watched plenty of pigeons were flitting about in the turned over rape. It looked promising. I decided on the furthest field, a narrowish length with a good high hedge and trees to the west, meaning I could set up with the strong south-westerly at my back.

I set up in the most likely spot, where I thought I may decoy a few or intercept them flighting back.

A few minutes in and the first bird curled high over, almost stationary in the wind. He dropped. On each shot more pigeons lifted from the from and headed towards me, often giving me another two or three shots.

It continued nicely all afternoon, and was especially hot between 4-5pm. I had a lot of misses but a few memorable shots and some left and rights. 

I picked 44 and lost quite a few in the high hedge. Finishing earlier than I would like, I text the game dealer to drop the birds off only to discover he was shut for two weeks! Disaster until he agreed I could drop them off and put in his freezer. Thank goodness, as I don't know what state they would have been in if I had left them in my cellar for a week!

That was a nice afternoons shooting Mm , conditions are back to what we would consider normal , strangely enough , I prefer going on rape stubble that have been pulled up as soon as possible . easier for the dog and the pigeons can see the decoys better ,

Had a great couple of hours over stubble yesterday with a mate and his dad. We set up in the teeth of gale, two hides, got soaked within minutes but had some good sport with rocket propelled birds.

It never ceases to amaze me at the variety of shots which present, I seem to miss the easy shots and surprise myself with the optimistic ones. Always satisfying when you've shot a bird, lose sight of it not knowing if you connected to hear the crash through the branches or thump as it hits the ground behind you. Not a huge bag but that's ok, I will use all birds shot and give some to friends.