Hobbies besides shooting?

BritishShooting

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing and diving.

Fishing is amazing in NZ. I could easily feed my family everyday of the year with the fish that I catch. Diving has become more about hunting crayfish (lobsters), scallops and paua (abalone) rather than staring at the fish, but I still enjoy that too.

Bushcraft, amateur knifemaking (badly, in other words), knife/axe/tomahawk throwing. The club members at the clay club enjoyed a go at throwing 13" knives at log rounds, though found the tomahawks easier to stick. If anyone fancies it, Google "KATTA " knife axe tomahawk throwing association.  Several clubs across the UK, pontefract, romford, Milton Keynes, Norfolk, one in Scotland, all run properly with range officers making sure no-one plays silly huggers. Lots of fun.

8 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Does stealing ladies underwear from washing lines count as a hobby or a habit ? .  Just curious , obviously I'd never dream of doing it ????????????.

I am sure Lin loves you bringing the washing in for her. Nice domesticated husband that you are.:good:

Hobbies: Dogs, woodland, fishing, reading, cooking.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

10 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Well I can’t believe it 

some here need to wash there mouths out with soap 

im with marsh man haven’t got enough time to waste on hobbies 

to me shooting country sports and enjoying the countryside are a way of life 

golf ? just spoils a good walk 

I totally agree with Marshman and Old farrier and it must be an age thing, as I too am most content with my life just being out in the countryside whether with gun or binoculars. Close family of course take precedence as time spent with them is most precious, but perhaps I'm just unsociable as being alone in our wonderful countryside does it for me.

I have friends hooked on golf but just cannot understand the attraction, apart from perhaps the exercise it gives. 

OB

5 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I totally agree with Marshman and Old farrier and it must be an age thing, as I too am most content with my life just being out in the countryside whether with gun or binoculars. Close family of course take precedence as time spent with them is most precious, but perhaps I'm just unsociable as being alone in our wonderful countryside does it for me.

I have friends hooked on golf but just cannot understand the attraction, apart from perhaps the exercise it gives. 

OB

I tried combining golf with walking the dog.

Never got past the first green as the ball was retrieved to hand after each put.;)

No hobbies at the moment. Don’t even do much shooting. Maybe the odd day up a farm permission with the air rifle but that’s about once every six months. Haven’t got any permissions for shotguns so the 4 of them sit in the cabinet unless the odd clay day or a few walked up days we organise on a rough shoot in season.

Just work and kids at the moment. Was really into my carp fishing but haven’t been for 3 years now.

I dare not try golf as I’d know I’d get the bug but couldn’t afford it.

Also really would like to have a proper go of archery one day. 

4 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

I dare not try golf as I’d know I’d get the bug but couldn’t afford it.

Golf is't as expensive as people make out. Throughout most of the country a full playing membership at a good course is about 800-1000 quid a year. That's less than 20 quid a week to have the option to go and play anytime you like. If you play once a week - and maybe twice in summer when the evenings are long - it'll work out at about 14 quid a round. If a round takes you three and a half hours to play, that's your entertainment for less than a fiver an hour with an at cost restaurant and bar in the clubhouse thrown in for good measure. Compared to shooting or going down the pub golf is as cheap as chips 

13 hours ago, team tractor said:

Fishing but I haven’t fished for 2 years . 

Sounds gay but I like working on my house. 

As Oldypigeonpopper says, there's nought wrong in that.

Not sure how working on your house sounds gay unless of course it's crocheting or embroidering antimacassars. If it's gay to do decorating or painting etc, then I too must have 'arrived on the other bus' !!

OB

12 hours ago, stevo said:

Bricklaying , 

find a job you love and your never do a days work in your life . 

I’m an old school time served ( 7yrs  and then 2 yrs as an improver ) bricklayer . 

Never done anything else , not interested in anything else , can’t do anything else.

but I can build ANYTHING you want 

love it ??

....shame you're in Lincoln.

If anyone knows a good bricklayer and a (narrow joint) blocklayer near Oundle (PE8) then please PM me.

Apologies for thread hijack. PM replies only please. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, AVB said:

I wish I had a hobby other than shooting. Or at least one I could enjoy whilst working  in Tokyo. It’s not doing me any good sitting here either working or twiddling my thumbs. 

hello, are there no hobbies the Japanese enjoy that you could try?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Each to their own. I renovated a flat on my own in London many years ago. I was working full time and it took me two years to complete. I can’t even bear the thought of hanging a picture now!

As for golf and the like, I never had interest in any sport that wasn’t a fieldsport. When I was a kid and forced to play football at school, I couldn’t care less if the ball went in the goal or not. Drove my PE teacher nuts!

11 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Does stealing ladies underwear from washing lines count as a hobby or a habit ? .  Just curious , obviously I'd never dream of doing it ????????????.

thats why you are a "trade member"..............you nick em ...pack em off to reputable clients somewhere in Westminster...and make shed loads of dosh..(hope you are VAT reg')

Fly Fishing mostly at night for sea trout. I've got a small veg patch, plus a wife 2 children and a dog! So looking after them takes a fair wack of my time. I also enjoy reading, and always have a book on the go.

Cheers

Aled

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

Might well be where you were brought up OB , I was born only 200 yds from our estuary and from a early age it was like a drug ( although I have never took one in my life ) , the more I went up there the more I wanted , school was just to learn to read and wright , anything else I had no interest and my mum often sent a note to say I wasn't well but I was well enough to spend the day in the fresh air while my class mates were in a stuffy class room learning about subjects they had no interest in .

This carried on during my teenage years , getting married , children , employment and all the twists and turns that happen throughout your lifetime , my best move was giving up a well paid building job to work on a large estate as a jobbing builder , when I retired over 10 years ago I was in charge of all the maintenance  , involved in all there shoots and had more than enough pigeon shooting to last for the rest of my remaining days.

As they say ..... Life is what you make it , so make the most of it .