Hobbies besides shooting?

BritishShooting

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, stevo said:

Whaling ?

hello, you think they would ban this stevo, i was thinking more like games or sporty, maybe even getting out of the office and walking in the park, last time i was in China about 6 pm evening so many out walking/ keeping/fit/ chatting/ very social beings.  

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Golf is't as expensive as people make out. Throughout most of the country a full playing membership at a good course is about 800-1000 quid a year. That's less than 20 quid a week to have the option to go and play anytime you like. If you play once a week - and maybe twice in summer when the evenings are long - it'll work out at about 14 quid a round. If a round takes you three and a half hours to play, that's your entertainment for less than a fiver an hour with an at cost restaurant and bar in the clubhouse thrown in for good measure. Compared to shooting or going down the pub golf is as cheap as chips 

Very true, when you put it in perspective it's good value for money once you're all set up!

Due to my age I still get Intermediate membership for another year or two so it's only £600 a year for me at quite a decent course.

I'm having issues with not buying new clubs and accessories now, already bought 2 dozen pro v1's and a new stand bag as I want to carry instead of being dragged around by the electric cart for a bit more exercise.

Mrs is going to go spare, she can't understand why I can't stick to one hobby. I'm hoping to get permission on the golf course I could switch one of my allocated clubs for the gun that way and enjoy both hobbies at the same time!

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Golf is't as expensive as people make out. Throughout most of the country a full playing membership at a good course is about 800-1000 quid a year. That's less than 20 quid a week to have the option to go and play anytime you like. If you play once a week - and maybe twice in summer when the evenings are long - it'll work out at about 14 quid a round. If a round takes you three and a half hours to play, that's your entertainment for less than a fiver an hour with an at cost restaurant and bar in the clubhouse thrown in for good measure. Compared to shooting or going down the pub golf is as cheap as chips 

hello, tell that to my son with 3 full kits of clubs in his garage and cannot be bothered to go even to a range , his best kit was £800!!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, tell that to my son with 3 full kits of clubs in his garage and cannot be bothered to go even to a range , his best kit was £800!!!!!!!

It used to infuriate my old man to, at 16 I borrowed the best part of £2.5k from him which i paid monthly for a whole new set-up to take golf seriously. I paid him back £100 a month from my apprenticeship wage.

Literally 7 months or so later I passed my driving test and ended up doing anything and everything except golf, it drove him mad. He wanted to try his best to help me advance as I wanted to try and turn professional by the time I was 18-20 and I just threw the opportunity away.

Never has loved me the same since ?

Cars - it’s a bit of a disease. Travelling (not like a student or a bed dragger though). Bit of touristy scuba. Fishing - about to go on a boat chasing tuna tomorrow. I would love to do more fly fishing but that would end in divorce ?

Just finished the home, and will start a sauna build in the back garden - I like the planning, thinking about it and getting it right. Indeed successful building be it a whole house, extension or industrial unit is very rewarding and I am a bit envious of anyone who can lay bricks or plaster a wall with their eyes shut.

As for golf, I can play golf and get round a course without humiliating myself and sometimes I have to with work but I do find it beyond dull. I haven’t played in 2 years and will be ditching the clubs to make it permanent. Saying that, unless you are chasing a single figure handicap you only need 4 irons, a forgiving driver and a decent putter you’re used to. All this £500 Kevlar NASA designed club and £6 a ball nonsense is pure marketing.

Edited by Mungler

27 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Cars - it’s a bit of a disease. Travelling (not like a student or a bed dragger though). Bit of touristy scuba. Fishing - about to go on a boat chasing tuna tomorrow. I would love to do more fly fishing but that would end in divorce ?

Just finished the home, and will start a sauna build in the back garden - I like the planning, thinking about it and getting it right. Indeed successful building be it a whole house, extension or industrial unit is very rewarding and I am a bit envious of anyone who can lay bricks or plaster a wall with their eyes shut.

As for golf, I can play golf and get round a course without humiliating myself and sometimes I have to with work but I do find it beyond dull. I haven’t played in 2 years and will be ditching the clubs to make it permanent. Saying that, unless you are chasing a single figure handicap you only need 4 irons, a forgiving driver and a decent putter you’re used to. All this £500 Kevlar NASA designed club and £6 a ball nonsense is pure marketing.

Yes I am a sucker for any old car with a big engine and the right badge . My sons made me promise to give up the bikes and I did reluctantly because I knew they were right.

The other way around for me. My major hobbies were rugby, golf, football, caving and potholing. But following major injuries and the lack of a fully functioning left ankle and right knee I started more sedate pastimes of fly fishing and then shooting about ten years ago. I was the first person in my family to either fish or shoot

Edited by yates

1 hour ago, BritishShooting said:

already bought 2 dozen pro v1'sId

There's your first mistake" Seriously though, Pro Vs are great balls but I wouldn't pay the price they ask for them. I always buy second hand balls anyway - when it  goes in the water it's bad enough dropping two shots besides losing a five quid ball into the bargain. You can pick up used A grade Srixon Z Stars or Bridgestone BTs for 60 pence a ball. And they play just as well - at least for me they do anyway.

1 hour ago, BritishShooting said:

It used to infuriate my old man to, at 16 I borrowed the best part of £2.5k from him which i paid monthly for a whole new set-up to take golf seriously. I paid him back £100 a month from my apprenticeship wage.

Literally 7 months or so later I passed my driving test and ended up doing anything and everything except golf, it drove him mad. He wanted to try his best to help me advance as I wanted to try and turn professional by the time I was 18-20 and I just threw the opportunity away.

Never has loved me the same since ?

hello, i was never good enough for my Dad either,  although he did buy me my first 410 at £6 . 50p and got me my first permission, oh happy days 

Used to do a lot of course fishing, mostly big specimen/big fish (all species), but I shall be rekindling an old hobby from my childhood very soon, the keeping, breeding and possibly, the showing of Fife Canaries. The 12 x 6 shed that will be my birdroom arrives tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it up and kitted out then acquiring stock to fill the cages. 8 pairs to start with given the size of the space available.

23 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

There's your first mistake" Seriously though, Pro Vs are great balls but I wouldn't pay the price they ask for them. I always buy second hand balls anyway - when it  goes in the water it's bad enough dropping two shots besides losing a five quid ball into the bargain. You can pick up used A grade Srixon Z Stars or Bridgestone BTs for 60 pence a ball. And they play just as well - at least for me they do anyway.

I actually just won a lot of 50 Srixon Z stars on eBay A/Pearl Grade, I do all my practice rounds and practice ground time with those and used Pro V1's that are too tatty for comp use but enter any competitions with brand new Pro V1's (Not sure why).

I have a couple of practice bags full of Z Stars and Pro' V1's and old Hogans that I used to love but have to replace them every so often as they become cut and scuffed from the wedges mainly. Will donate one practice bag to the Junior Academy for their practice balls.

One bonus though it makes shotgun cartridges feel cheap!

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, are there no hobbies the Japanese enjoy that you could try?

Haven’t found any yet. Origami? Shopping?  Other than shooting I didn’t have anything else in the UK either.  But of cricket now and then. 

I need a kick up the **** to make me do something. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Haven’t found any yet. Origami? Shopping?  Other than shooting I didn’t have anything else in the UK either.  But of cricket now and then. 

I need a kick up the **** to make me do something. 

Zen or Martial Arts

Or 

You could take care of Many Bansai Trees, become a drift king on the underground car scene or get involved with the weird world of Anime.

Golf is a funny old game. I’m pretty rubbish at it. A friend of mine is a golf pro. His son is aged 10, plays off of a handicap of something like 11 and at the weekend hit his first hole in one. I struggle with a hole in one on those courses that have windmills on them let alone a pucker full size course at the age of 10. And his dad had to buy the round in the clubhouse! 

27 minutes ago, AVB said:

Golf is a funny old game. I’m pretty rubbish at it. A friend of mine is a golf pro. His son is aged 10, plays off of a handicap of something like 11 and at the weekend hit his first hole in one. I struggle with a hole in one on those courses that have windmills on them let alone a pucker full size course at the age of 10. And his dad had to buy the round in the clubhouse! 

He'll be one to keep an eye on when he's younger. Must be great to have an old man who's keen and keen to guide you.

The game will feel easy to him when he grows in stature and can trample all over the courses!

45 minutes ago, AVB said:

Aged 10 that handicap is of red tee’s. The competition in junior golf is just unbelievable there are players at 14 playing of scratch from white tees on PGA course’s. They just make it look easy.

1 hour ago, AVB said:

His son is aged 10, .... and at the weekend hit his first hole in one.

Not sure if that's actually something to be envied or not. Kingsmill Moore, the Irish judge and fisherman, remarked in his book, A Man May Fish, ".... as every fisherman knows, of all the pleasures in life, anticipation is by no means the least',  and at age 62 I feel that about my hole in one. I've come close lots of times, but never actually seen it drop. But for years, when I've stood up on a par 3 I've had lots of pleasure from imagining the upcoming hole in one. It's never happened yet but so what? And when or if it does, I'll  doubtless be happy.... but nonetheless,  I won't subsequently have it to look forward to anymore. That pleasure will be denied me.

So it seems to me that 10 is too young to forgo the anticipation. But I suppose at that age there are lots of things to substitute, and with his hole in one in the scrapbook he's probably anticipating the day he breaks 70. There's always another goal somewhere for those young enough...

Edited by Retsdon