Hobbies besides shooting?

BritishShooting

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Not sure if that's actually something to be envied or not. Kingsmill Moore, the Irish judge and fisherman, remarked in his book A Man May Fish, ".... as every fisherman knows, of all the pleasures in life. anticipation is by no means the least',  and at age 62 I feel that about my hole in one. I've come close lots of times, but never actually seen it drop. But for years,  when I've stood up on a par 3 I've had lots of pleasure from imagining the upcoming hole in one. It's never happened yet but so what? And when of if  it does, I'll be doubtless be happy but nonetheless,  I won't have it to look forward to anymore. That pleasure will be denied me.

So it seems to me that 10 is too young to forgo the anticipation. But I suppose at that age there are lots of things to substitute, and he's probably anticipating the day he breaks 70!. Theres always another goal somewhere for those young enough...

I do very much agree. I got my first hole in one at 15 but it was off winter mats and for some reason it made it feel a lot less special than it should have done!

So a new goal now I’ve started back will be to get a ‘proper hole in one’. 

The level at which juniors play these days is staggering, and the female side has grown exponantionaly in skill and numbers!

Good to see!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BritishShooting said:

The level at which juniors play these days is staggering, and the female side has grown exponantionaly in skill and numbers!

Just down the road from us here in Northern Thailand is a course that was built about five years ago with Korean 'Christian' money. Every winter, from November to February, it' becomes a base for hundreds of aspiring Korean juniors who are provided with accommodation, free golf, free access to a magnificent practice ground, and free professional instruction that's brought in from all over the globe. The whole raison-d'etre of the place is basically a golfer-of-the-future factory.

My belief is that this system and others like it will kill the professional game.

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Just down the road from us here in Northern Thailand is a course that was built about five years ago with Korean 'Christian' money. Every winter, from November to February, it' becomes a base for hundreds of aspiring Korean juniors who are provided with accommodation, free golf, free access to a magnificent practice ground, and free professional instruction that's brought in from all over the globe. The whole raison-d'etre of the place is basically a golfer-of-the-future factory.

My belief is that this system and others like it will kill the professional game.

Why do you think this when the rest of the world do the same. 

4 minutes ago, The gouse said:

Why do you think this when the rest of the world do the same. 

It's already starting to get that way with the US college system - where are the interesting players? But when the leaderboard of the Open reads like the leaderboard of the World Table-Tennis Championship, just watch the sponsors money dry up.

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

It's already starting to get that way with the US college system - where are the interesting players? But when the leaderboard of the Open reads like the leaderboard of the World Table-Tennis Championship, just watch the sponsors money dry up.

Will not happen mate as we have been doing this for years as have the USA 

they where just a bit slow to catch on. 

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

As Oldypigeonpopper says, there's nought wrong in that.

Not sure how working on your house sounds gay unless of course it's crocheting or embroidering antimacassars. If it's gay to do decorating or painting etc, then I too must have 'arrived on the other bus' !!

OB

Just built an extra 4 th bedroom/ bigger 3rd, extra bathroom, bigger living room. Fencing, patio currently, drive way, staircase makeover, full decoration.

i guess I’m just growing up. 

I had to pack bikes in with the realisation that I would kill myself or some other idiot would do it for me. That being said I could never understand their pricing - it’s not like there’s ac, a stereo, an interior, any glass, body panels etc.

On golf, I think golf clubs are terrIble places for young impressionable men to hang out in - they are full of men who have made their money and spend their days doing f-all but drink and play golf. The youngsters don’t see the graft / risk these people put in and get a skewed outlook of life at an impressionable age. Also every golf club has a bucket load of ‘pros’ who at one stage would have believed themselves to have been a contender; for every Rory there’s 10,000 who don’t make it and so statistically any notion of a career in golf is just wasted youth.

I have had many hobbies alongside shooting since I was about 13 - table tennis, boxing, karate, football, cricket, pumping iron, but mainly building kit cars, repairing cars and messing with motocross bikes. The lads have packed up with bikes and I am in limbo, regarding a second hobby. I need to do something - doing nothing is not an option - but still haven't settled on what.

Too much time on my hands and not enough to fill it, until I make my mind up.

Nothing for me, I do various bits associated with shooting ( Clay shooting, Loading, HFT, Airgun pest control, bits on the car, helping out on two shoots and the stuff for our DIY shoot, messing with saws and strimmers after using them at the shoot etc) but nothing else.  Although we do enjoy eating out.

We used to have a horse that dam near killed the wife so he was sold and now she has lots of spare time on her hands to drive me crazy, but with more spare time I am doing more around the house....... I have concluded that anyone who enjoys home DIY is a sadist, we are both rubbish at DIY so have concluded its best to pay someone who knows what they are doing to do it for us. 

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:04, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, going dust off my metal detector this year,

always have a quick metal detect after a pigeon shoot if there is time, plus the lure gear for a couple canals I pass on the way home , talk about cramming things in a day.

On 30 July 2018 at 09:14, Morrisman said:

Believe it or not, I like Morris dancing. Sea fishing and bird watching are also important for me.

Oh, did I mention Morris dancing?

You've not been circumcised then ?

OB

On 29/07/2018 at 19:15, marsh man said:

I must be a sad case as all my interests revolve around the countryside , I am just as happy with with a pair of binoculars as I am with my gun and with some perfect countryside all around me I have no reason to try any other sport , sad maybe , but I am totally contented with what I do , and how many people can say that . 

ditto :good:

Did some wood turning at school  , thats over 50 years ago frighteningly  , and always had a yearning to do some more so have bought a small lathe and am enjoying playing with that .

Also rekindled my interest in local armature theater so that keeps me busy enough .

14 hours ago, Bigstep said:

Trawling through the classified section trying to find fault with people's adverts seems to be a popular hobby ?

? A shop/cafe owner in town has blackboards outside on which he writes todays menu etc. He deliberately spells the odd word wrong as he finds it hilarious when people come into the shop to correct his spelling/grammar. They inevitably buy something even if its just a packet of sweets. I saw one last week which advertised 'cream tease'. 

Not really sure if I have any hobbies anymore. Went on a course to study mosaics and came away with a C&G in plastering and restoration plastering; never saw a single tesserae! Used to enjoy fly fishing but it's years since I last went and all my gear is sat in the gun room. Must admit the idea of ledgering has a large chill out appeal.

Drawing and painting forms a considerable part of my income now so it's not a hobby anymore, but there again I only ever create something I want to, rather than something I must, so its extremely satisfying.

I really enjoy militaria, but having sold most of it I can't call that a hobby either. 

Cinema, reading and dining out is what it comes down to I suppose. 

Edited by Scully

21 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I have had many hobbies alongside shooting since I was about 13 - table tennis, boxing, karate, football, cricket, pumping iron, but mainly building kit cars, repairing cars and messing with motocross bikes. The lads have packed up with bikes and I am in limbo, regarding a second hobby. I need to do something - doing nothing is not an option - but still haven't settled on what.

Too much time on my hands and not enough to fill it, until I make my mind up.

Gordon I think you should seriously consider taking on a commission build of an AC Cobra or Westfield kit car ?