Small woodland shooting

Pumpkin

Following a recent thread on this forum I have been looking at purchasing a small piece of woodland.

My budget is around £20k and for this price I'm in the couple of acres bracket.

My questions is, is any kind of walked up shooting, with a shotgun, possible on only 2 acres? The wood I have looked at is part of a larger wood that has been broken up and purchased by god knows who. I'm taking a worst case approach and assuming the surrounding woods will have been purchased by anti shooting types.

There is some farm land on one boundary which I'm also assuming the farmer will not mind possible shot/birds falling on his land if I discuss this with him.

Has anyone got any experience of this situation?

It depends on the woodland, is there cover for birds? Are there shoots nearby? Is it a 'warm ' wood or exposed?

I shoot in a small douglas fir wood (3 acres) its part of a much larger wood with various owners, some are tree huggers who regularly spend the weekend there, others are never seen. My permission is owned by a 'tree' man/friend who asked me to thin out the local roe numbers as they're hammering the Douglas regen. Not enough cover to hold roe but they regularly move through nibbling the young tops.

Midweek shooting and a bit of common sense resulted in 2 roe in two trips, it has worked out ok for me. I needed to park up the road and enter the wood quietly for best results. I plan to put a temporary high seat.

Perhaps you can put up a feeder or two to draw in stray birds (will attract squirrels also......good fun to shoot) is your best bet. Good luck.

Personally I wouldn't touch a piece of woodland directly attached to another piece. Frought with problems of trespass etc etc.   I think the only sport you would safely get out of 2 acres, is air rifle.  I have just been offered some pigeon shooting on an 8 acre field. On examination it has much frequented roads and footpaths on three sides, a field of horses on the other, houses around the edge of one corner. Impossible to shoot in any direction wihtout the shot falling on something or somebody. Turned it down.

Sorry to be negative but a 2 acre plot is not much more than a copse.

I would agree with the above sentiments. If its just for shooting only you'd be better spending £20k on driven days or whatever you fancy.

If its for an inheritance tax free, long term investment, you'd be better off buying cheaper grazing ground at 2/3k per acre (depending on location obviously) and plant it with trees yourself or with government subsidies. You would have up to 10 acres to shoot over then, even if you had to travel to get to it.

Edited by stuartyboy

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Sorry to be negative but a 2 acre plot is not much more than a copse. 

It is a copse!

Just now, stuartyboy said:

I would agree with the above sentiments. If its just for shooting only you'd be better spending £20k on driven days or whatever you fancy.

If its for an inheritance tax free, long term investment, you'd be better off buying cheaper grazing ground at 2/3k per acre (depending on location obviously) and plant it with trees yourself or with government subsidies. You would have up to 10 acres to shoot over then. 

One of the reasons to buy the copse/tiny wood is somewhere to let my grandchildren run feral every now and again. Shooting would have been a nice bonus.

6 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

If its for an inheritance tax free, long term investment, you'd be better off buying cheaper grazing ground at 2/3k per acre (depending on location obviously) and plant it with trees yourself or with government subsidies. You would have up to 10 acres to shoot over then, even if you had to travel to get to it.

Hiya Stuart, 

Have you seen any land advertised at 2k/3k per acre ?, if you have would you be able to post a link please mate. I'd certainly like to get my hands on a few more acres and plant it just how I like it.

15 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

That's a good thought. 

9 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Hiya Stuart, 

Have you seen any land advertised at 2k/3k per acre ?, if you have would you be able to post a link please mate. I'd certainly like to get my hands on a few more acres and plant it just how I like it.

addd me to the list Stuart ..... any land around me...west Leicestershire is going for at least twice that figure if not much more. Small parcels are snapped up pretty quick by horsey people or 'caravan club' members. 

addd me to the list Stuart ..... any land around me...west Leicestershire is going for at least twice that figure if not much more. Small parcels are snapped up pretty quick by horsey people or 'caravan club' members. 

I don't have any links at the moment (or not sure even his to add a link!), most of the sales are word of mouth in my area.

Pasture land around here in my area of Scotland averages between 2k and 4k but it does vary by region and obviously quality. I've heard of poor hill grazing going for less than a grand. 

The uncertainty of Brexit (and therefore of subsidies etc) in my opinion is keeping prices low or more negotiable as farmers consider there future options. 

There are auctioneers and companies who occasionally advertise small parcels of land.

Its rare small packages of ground come up, but they occasionally do. Often the best ground is sold word of mouth through the farming community before it reaches the auctions catalogues. 

To be honest with that budget I think you would be better off renting something you'd have access to a lot more ground. You don't know who the surrounding parcels have been purchased by, and if your grandkids are running feral, whats to say the other plot holders aren't doing the same thing when you want a bit of peace and quiet. It's fairly ripe for neighbour disputes as another has suggested and you would probably end up having to fence your 2 acre parcel.

as has already been said , 2 acres isnt really big enough for walked up shooting , but , its a good size for kids to mooch around , and its big enough to set yourself up with an airgun course(obviously all attention on safety).