German Wirehaired Pointers?

Retsdon

Ive never had one but a fella i used to rough shoot with used one [BITCH] she was a well built tough dog and was great working rough cover He also used her for inland ducks with good success and watching her go on point for pheasants is one of the best sights youl see in the fields good luck?

I’ve got a one. A dog, still young(nearly 2) but coming along great. They are very strong willed but very intelingent. I have found training quite easy as I’m just guiding his natural ability. Not trying to reel him in, like you would a spaniel say. 

So far used him for wildfowling, finding shot deer and rabbit shooting. Does it all with ease. 

As has been said seeing them go on point is a great sight. Even better when they are sent to flush and a bird erupts from the undergrowth. 

Great dogs!!

I have had the shorthair and have shot with a man with a wirehair and there is not much difference. Get them trained right and they are killing machines.  As said above, strong willed and must be given work. My GSP Mole was a killing machine and never ever told me a lie BUT many times he would question MY decision.  Remember once running him up a thick hedge on the down wind side about 200yrds he got to the top looked back and I called him to heel. I said to my companions the hedge was clear of any game but being spaniel owners they insisted in working their dogs up it to no available.   If you think you have it in you to handle and train one succesfully then you will have no finer rough shooting dog and deer dog and a great companion.

I would agree and echo what Walker said you have to learn to trust these dogs a lot more. The times mine has blanked a hedge only for me to send him in anyway, he goes in but comes out with a look of i told you there is nothing there!! 

Very different to how a spaniel would work a hedge. All my personal experiences of course.

I have two mother and a daughter that we bred.  If you see the dtr deer tracking and recovery group with a stand at one of the game fairs with a picture of one that is one of mine.

They are great fairly demanding but fantastic when you get a good one.  Mine rough shoot and beat with me as well as vermin shooting.  Beating they are supposed to be **** at but I love using mine.  On a busy shoot there aren’t many dogs that walk steadily into a few hundred birds and not charge in but a pointer will.  You have to watch breeding and temperament depending on the use you have in mind but 99% if people won’t need a hardcore German bred one and one that is less of a machine will mean you will enjoy it not hate it. 

I have two but the older one is now retired. I use the younger one for rough shooting, grouse counting and shooting and a bit of tracking and fox control. I shoot over him a lot during the season.

I wouldn't have one for beating or picking up as I think there are better choices for that however I know people who do very well with them at this.

My younger one is 40kg and solid, very fit and full of energy. They can be very strong willed and you need to be firm with them and get them under control form the start. Don't think you can leave them to it for 12 months and then start training. They are a big dog and need to be under control.

Mine have great temperaments with dogs and people. Both would come on the school run and loved getting fussed by all the kids on the way out.

In my experience they are a harder hunting dog than the other HPR's except for maybe the Brittney. They are fearless where cover is concerned and love water. Mine has retrieved everything asked of him including foxes and a muntjac.

If you are on facebook look at Totally GWP or look at mine on youtube.....Hunter the German Wirehaired Pointer. He's 4 now but the video only goes up to age 2.

IMG_4082.JPG

Must admit i'm about to get pelters here.

But unless u want a dog to point they're really is little point in getting an HPR, often vastly over rated.(for normal shooting or even deer work)

That said i will have another 1 sometime (and got name on a waiting list for a HWV pup) so not against hpr's, just u see so many very poor 1's.

I've also shot over some of the best in the country and they are a joy on open ground but even those very well trained 1's are a bit of a nighymaare in the beating line.

There tends to be massive differences intemperment between individuals, i now of a few very docile cool calm bitches but the (often male) pups have been a real handful so much so they were given away and thats by the ownrs who bred them and trained the cracking bitch (so u wouldn't think its down to there training)

Must admit even on my rough shoot which is quite open FT trained hpr's can be hard to work with along sde 'normal' dogs, range out in front if they poit u have to hold the whole beating line up while the handler walks over to them (must admit thoose dogs had a habitat of pointing recent scent too, or birds had moved off) so often there would not even be a bird to shot as wee shot in the beating line too where safe.

Not trying to be anti hpr (which i know i am coming across as) but paticularly male gwp's can be very hard work esp if from strong DD/german lines.

Can be fantastic dogs thou but u really need to do ur homework and know ur lines.

Also have/had a bit of a problem with epilepsy in the bred whuch cannot be tested for.

17 hours ago, al4x said:

Can we mention cats yet......

Yes, they will also retrieve cats.

14 hours ago, scotslad said:

Must admit i'm about to get pelters here.

But unless u want a dog to point they're really is little point in getting an HPR, often vastly over rated.(for normal shooting or even deer work)

That said i will have another 1 sometime (and got name on a waiting list for a HWV pup) so not against hpr's, just u see so many very poor 1's.

I've also shot over some of the best in the country and they are a joy on open ground but even those very well trained 1's are a bit of a nighymaare in the beating line.

There tends to be massive differences intemperment between individuals, i now of a few very docile cool calm bitches but the (often male) pups have been a real handful so much so they were given away and thats by the ownrs who bred them and trained the cracking bitch (so u wouldn't think its down to there training)

Must admit even on my rough shoot which is quite open FT trained hpr's can be hard to work with along sde 'normal' dogs, range out in front if they poit u have to hold the whole beating line up while the handler walks over to them (must admit thoose dogs had a habitat of pointing recent scent too, or birds had moved off) so often there would not even be a bird to shot as wee shot in the beating line too where safe.

Not trying to be anti hpr (which i know i am coming across as) but paticularly male gwp's can be very hard work esp if from strong DD/german lines.

Can be fantastic dogs thou but u really need to do ur homework and know ur lines.

Also have/had a bit of a problem with epilepsy in the bred whuch cannot be tested for.

I think its more a case of not many people have the ground to hunt them as they should be and trying to make the dog to a job its not really bred for. 

I agree with your comments about temperament and epilepsy but in recent years things have improved a lot. 

It’s funny how much I like beating with mine,  they have both been so different to more conventional breeds.  We beat on a pretty large shoot with plenty of birds and there is no other dog that you can relax the more birds are in front of them. They literally stalk point flush and move slowly onto the next as you approach the flushing point. I do about 30 days a year and they love it, I then also have a dog that stalks with me and as for finding shot foxes well the older one will mark from the impact when I shoot with night vision. 

We have two young children and they are fantastic with them really have been a success and there is just something about a GWP that is a bit like an addiction 

• 1 month later...

My old boy had some amazing days, and some shockers, i can still remember some fantastic retrieves and flushes, but also him chasing a sheep and catching a roe which ran into a fence?

fantastic dogs, i never did mine full justice as he was my first working dog.

WP_20160102_10_57_24_Pro.jpg.37f52ee7dd0400ef3551ce9ae38ebfd6.jpg

about 14 probably here.

On 04/09/2018 at 21:49, Mice! said:

but also him chasing a sheep and catching a roe which ran into a fence?

I remember a fellow who had a vizsla that chased a sheep into the river Usk when it was coming down in spate, and the last we saw of it (the sheep), it was still paddling as it disappeared around the bend about 100 yards downstream. That was the last shoot we ever saw the dog too.........

Your dog looks a right fun character though....

Edited by Retsdon