Play time for me!

widgeon man

Haven’t posted in ages or managed to have a go at any pigeons...apart from the clay variety.

Finally managed to sneak away from work slightly early to investigate my perm. I had been making visits to keep an eye, but the pigeons had been ignoring the barley at all stages, but hammering wheat on the next farm over (no perm) notifying the farmer of the issue, I was told he had shooters and they would look into it : / ..... oh well......

try flighting then.... with standing barley, no laid and houses nearby it was going to be tricky....setting up on the edge of standing with grass running away in front I would be forced to take birds to my left or overhead only, this drastically reduced chances, but with a magnet and flapper deployed to ‘straighten’ the Flightline things became better. Finally picked up  at 5pm with 109 on the clicker...happy days! After that I was willing and waiting to see if harvest would bring the pigeons back on the barley..... time would tell. Keeping an eye little was happening but I was itching for a full days decoying. So frozen drinks, a full packed lunch in case shooting was boring and a fishing brolly for shade were packed and I set up on my chosen spot wind at my back, but the sun beating down. I sat for couple of hours with little to keep my attention munching my way through lunch. At 12.30 with 10 down it was looking slow and possibly not going to happen as had seen birds diving onto nearby stubble. Finally some flight lines came to life the bird began to build, though at times the shooting was a little rusty on my part! A few triples and l&r’s started to flow as birds presented in small bunches,  flitting over on the wind. At 6pm I unloaded the gun with only a few cartridges out of my 250 slab I collected the slain making 133.. a great afternoon. 

Returning for for a quick session in the afternoon the following week, nothing showed, watching through binoculars from a vantage point, nothing stirred on any of the local stubbles... strange. Driving further afield I stumbled upon birds dropping over my boundary onto another field... damn! The Flightline however travelled along a tree line which might offer an opportunity if I could get it right.... on the edge of the tree line with nothing more than a piece of netting and a cartridge bag I managed to scramble a couple of birds down and decided a magnet placed past me up the edge of the field might cause them to flight this side of the belt. It paid off though with such wind the shooting was tricky and snap shooting.. the ratio was suffering! With 125 cartridges (28g 7’s) I managed to just creep over the 50 mark. Fantastic sport and a simple setup...with minimal packing up required as the rain set in! An enjoyable few sessions!