Recoil pad price and fitting

Lloyd90

Rough ideas of getting a recoil pad fitted properly? 

I ask as I recall someone on here somewhere saying how they paid so much and everyone saying they got ripped off! 

I have a cheapish master side by side that I picked up recently after a friend of mine passed away a few weeks back and his family wanted it gone. Currently has a metal butt plate ... surely that can’t be too comfortable to shoot although haven’t had a chance just yet :) 

Hi Lloyd, It was me that posted the original question about the recoil pad. I had been quoted £180 to fit a Silver's recoil pad to my AYA No.2 which I thought was a bit steep.  The general consensus was that I had been ripped off but when I went to pick it up, it was perfect! They had sanded the pad down to the actual wood and then re-oiled the stock. It looks the absolute dogs danglies and the stock looks way better than when I took it in.  They have also shaped the pad and polished it.

I went around the Game Fair stands checking the fit of all the guns with a silvers pad on at the weekend and almost non had that seamless transition from wood to pad. 

So was it expensive, yes. Was it worth it, I think so.

I have a gun with a steel butt plate (old hammer gun)  Steel but plates were more common then as they were a hang over from the muzzle loader days.  It is no harder on the shoulder than normal wood.  If you want additional length of pull, that is a different issue, but I would shoot the gun and assess the fit - and recoil before making a firm decision.  If the gun fits well, a solid (steel, wood, vulcanised rubber, plastic) butt plate shouldn't be uncomfortable with the gun's 'sensible loads'.  Remember a s/s tends to be a bit lighter than an o/u, and therefore better suited to moderate loads (not above 32g, and preferably 28g or less), even if proofed for more.

In my view a rubber 'Silvers' type pad, or the equivalent leather covered is fine for getting the fit (length of pull) right, but doesn't always achieve the wanted result on recoil - the reason being that a bit more 'give' at the shoulder can translate into a bit more movement at the fingers and cheek.

On 01/08/2018 at 16:20, EMT said:

Hi Lloyd, It was me that posted the original question about the recoil pad. I had been quoted £180 to fit a Silver's recoil pad to my AYA No.2 which I thought was a bit steep.  The general consensus was that I had been ripped off but when I went to pick it up, it was perfect! They had sanded the pad down to the actual wood and then re-oiled the stock. It looks the absolute dogs danglies and the stock looks way better than when I took it in.  They have also shaped the pad and polished it.

I went around the Game Fair stands checking the fit of all the guns with a silvers pad on at the weekend and almost non had that seamless transition from wood to pad. 

So was it expensive, yes. Was it worth it, I think so.

£180.00 for a Silvers pad properly fitted I would say is a very good price. They are at least double the work to fit and finish than a continental pad. That's roughly what I charge.

The pads cost £60.00 to start with. I know some charge a lot more than that for a Silvers pad. There is lot of work in a Silvers pad. Do the people that slate the price know what a Silvers pad looks like before you even start to fit it? 

It sounds like you had a good person to do the work. Someone doing a job properly who does for a living is not a rip off merchant at that price let me tell you.