Boring out barrels

Joe D

Hi knowledge base, i am sure this has been covered but i am going to ask anyway.

I bought a browning GTI trap 32" with fixed choke 3/4 and full 18 months ago for DTL shooting at my local club. 

I think its fantastic for DTL with my usual score being 19/20 and 20/20 on occasion.

However i have started getting into the sporting discipline and feel that i am slightly disadvantaged with the fixed choke 3/4 and full, especially on close fast stuff.

So, i have toyed with getting the gun bored out to 3/8 and 5/8, my concern is will this leave me a little to open for shooting DTL. 

I imagine it will still break the DTL targets fine although i may have to change my style of shooting them potentially. 

Oh and getting it multi choked is not an option.

Guest stevo

3/8 th and 5/8th will be spot on for DTL 

the hull cartridge DTL boys don’t use 3/4 and full I can assure you of that. 

I even use 3/8 th on ABT now they have bought the angles in and reduced the target distance / speed. 

Cheers Stevo, Funny enough i use Hull supper fast shells, is there something with hull cartridges or am i missing a trick somewhere lol?

Cheers Smokersmith, i am not to concerned about the breaks as in if it blows it into powder or just breaks it in half its 3 point on the card lol.

Guest stevo
1 minute ago, Joe D said:

Cheers Stevo, Funny enough i use Hull supper fast shells, is there something with hull cartridges or am i missing a trick somewhere lol?

Cheers Smokersmith, i am not to concerned about the breaks as in if it blows it into powder or just breaks it in half its 3 point on the card lol.

In what way do you mean? 

2 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Is there a reason why you would not get it Teague choked giving you all the flexibility you feel you need?

Solely affordability, also the gun is only worth £800 as its the mid 80's model but i love it.

Guest stevo
9 minutes ago, Joe D said:

Just that you said "the hull cartridge DTL boys don’t use 3/4 and full" I wondered if hull shells where slightly different in some way.

Nope all standard shells. Chaplow and his gang  use Hull cartridge sovereign 28 gram size 8 shot. Through a 3/8 th and 5/8th and a  K gun.  

So we have established that the 3/8 and 5/8 will break DTL targets fine.

Will they give me a slightly better chance on the sporting shoots?

4 minutes ago, stevo said:

Nope all standard shells. Chaplow and his gang  use Hull cartridge sovereign 28 gram size 8 shot. Through a 3/8 th and 5/8th and a  K gun.  

Thanks Stevo, that gives me a more confidence that its the right choice.

2 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

You will break more targets due to having a wider spread, than any that may slip through the middle of your patten. (unless you plan on shooting a lot of 60+ yard edge on crossers!)

Great stuff, they can put on the course what ever they like i will shoot at them and hope for the best lol. But that was my take on it too surely a wider spread on sporting targets my average should increase.

41 minutes ago, stevo said:

Joe. Stop thinking about chokes. Your set up will be spot on. 

Its you that will be the weak link. Not your gear ?

very true.

4 minutes ago, figgy said:

Use smaller shot in a fiber or bior piston wad cartridge if you want more spread for closer stuff.

Also an option, not convinced i can get the same size of spread out of a different cartridge from full choke to 5/8. But i appreciate your idea.

I have 2 perazzis. one is 1/2 and full. The other  is a very tight 3/4. I can't tell the difference in them on either trap or sporting targets.   I shot sporting last week with a multichoke Browning with 1/4 &1/2 in it . I missed a lot more than usual because I don't use it much and the stock is too low for me rather  than anything to do with choke. 

Edited by Paul1440

3 hours ago, Paul1440 said:

I have 2 perazzis. one is 1/2 and full. The other  is a very tight 3/4. I can't tell the difference in them on either trap or sporting targets.   I shot sporting last week with a multichoke Browning with 1/4 &1/2 in it . I missed a lot more than usual because I don't use it much and the stock is too low for me rather  than anything to do with choke. 

?

1 hour ago, kenholland said:

you can get fiocchi ten shot for the close stuff, 24 gram .

?

If anyone is keeping an eye or has an interest in this thread.I have it booked in to be bored out 3/8 bottom and 5/8 top. I will be collecting it next week but I will have a go at the shops dtl range and skeet range and come back to let yous know how it has helped or hinderd me. Fingers and toes crossed.

I've come at it from the other side, sporting to DTL. Now shooting both. 

My gun is multi choked, but I found starting DTL really tested my comprehension re chokes and ammo. What was working at 15 to 25 yards wasn't cutting it at 30 to 50y. 

Bought some 2nd hand Teague chokes and quickly found after testing that the Teague 3/8th was throwing a pattern that in my opinion better than my factory supplied browning full, with 28g fiocchi Fblus, at 30y the 3/8th put all but 12 pellets into a uniform 30" pattern, and those 12 pellets were only just outside.

If I do my bit on DTL, and I'm not quick off the mark, I get bits and a puff of dust on the first barrel hits and it'll break with confidence edge on goers a good bit further out than that. 

Currently using Fblus and 3/8 3/8 for sporting and 3/8 7/8 for DTL. I could go lighter on the 2nd barrel but I have confidence in the 7/8 at range, and things can get rangy in a shoot off at the local DTL shoots. 

Edited by Uilleachan

2 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

I've come at it from the other side, sporting to DTL. Now shooting both. 

My gun is multi choked, but I found starting DTL really tested my comprehension re chokes and ammo. What was working at 15 to 25 yards wasn't cutting it at 30 to 50y. 

Bought some 2nd hand Teague chokes and quickly found after testing that the Teague 3/8th was throwing a pattern that in my opinion better than my factory supplied browning full, with 28g fiocchi Fblus, at 30y the 3/8th put all but 12 pellets into a uniform 30" pattern, and those 12 pellets were only just outside.

If I do my bit on DTL, and I'm not quick off the mark, I get bits and a puff of dust on the first barrel hits and it'll break with confidence edge on goers a good bit further out than that. 

Currently using Fblus and 3/8 3/8 for sporting and 3/8 7/8 for DTL. I could go lighter on the 2nd barrel but I have confidence in the 7/8 at range, and things can get rangy in a shoot off at the local DTL shoots. 

Cheers for your input Uilleachan, I pick it up tomorrow morning. The shop that done it have a dtl ground a skeet ground and i think i saw a clay trap up on a manitou so i suspect he may have a small compack sporting layout also. I full indeed on test it on all three. ?

Well the boring out has been completed, I only got to test it on the DTL as i had to get into work.  I can now say with all honesty and complete confidence 3/8 and 5/8 will completely obliterate DTL targets. I was on my own so it was a little strange using the delay button to button your own targets but it worked well. I shot 2 lines first line a 22/25 and the 2nd line a 23/25 so i am happy enough with that. A bird or two shy of what i usually shoot but i will put it down to anticipation of weather or not it would do the job and having to button your own targets.