First chance this year.....

Walker570

First chance this year to get on the stubbles.  Could see a good flight line, in fact two distinct flight lines across a field of rape stubble over the weekend and although had a better place on some wheat stubble, thought I would try that first.  Got up there about 12.30p and someone had already pushed four bales together and found one 12 gauge empty shell but not a lot of feathers anywhere.  I only had three frozen decoys and my fishing rod floater, so got them set up. Drpped the floater down till it was just touching the stubble and bobbing about rather than flying.  I put four hide poles inside and some camo netting to give me some protection from the sun and also cover any birds view coming from behind. I was shooting my Mossy moderated 410 which I have not shot for over a year and missed the first five clean, not a happy bunny. Things did not improve much through the first box, anyway to shorten the tale, I drew stumps at 4pm having run out of shells ..81shells fired total and picked 22 bodies from the rape stubble but had counted seven down in the adjacent maize field and without a dog impossible to retrieve. As I returned to the Landie a young fox stepped out of the hedge only 20yrds away so it is in for a good feed tonight.  So 29 altogether.    Shot like a clown, but still had a most enjoyable 3hrs sport. Pretty confirdent had I been shooting the Yilditz the bag would be double but I was using the moderated gun because the field is virtually in the village.

20180731_161500 (800x600).jpg

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

First chance this year to get on the stubbles.  Could see a good flight line, in fact two distinct flight lines across a field of rape stubble over the weekend and although had a better place on some wheat stubble, thought I would try that first.  Got up there about 12.30p and someone had already pushed four bales together and found one 12 gauge empty shell but not a lot of feathers anywhere.  I only had three frozen decoys and my fishing rod floater, so got them set up. Drpped the floater down till it was just touching the stubble and bobbing about rather than flying.  I put four hide poles inside and some camo netting to give me some protection from the sun and also cover any birds view coming from behind. I was shooting my Mossy moderated 410 which I have not shot for over a year and missed the first five clean, not a happy bunny. Things did not improve much through the first box, anyway to shorten the tale, I drew stumps at 4pm having run out of shells ..81shells fired total and picked 22 bodies from the rape stubble but had counted seven down in the adjacent maize field and without a dog impossible to retrieve. As I returned to the Landie a young fox stepped out of the hedge only 20yrds away so it is in for a good feed tonight.  So 29 altogether.    Shot like a clown, but still had a most enjoyable 3hrs sport. Pretty confirdent had I been shooting the Yilditz the bag would be double but I was using the moderated gun because the field is virtually in the village.

20180731_161500 (800x600).jpg

Someone must strong arms to push those bales over rape stubble and then turn a couple over , make my ole back ache just thinking about it , the best I could have done was to push two into a V shape with a desert storm net hung over the front , then the bales would have to be the small one , the large ones I just use one side or the end with a couple of nets , nice afternoons sport Walker 570

51 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Someone must strong arms to push those bales over rape stubble and then turn a couple over , make my ole back ache just thinking about it , the best I could have done was to push two into a V shape with a desert storm net hung over the front , then the bales would have to be the small one , the large ones I just use one side or the end with a couple of nets , nice afternoons sport Walker 570

I think the farmers grandson may have been shooting there and he would have the Manitou handy:good:

The Mossy moderated 410s are also very tight chokes and these birds today were dropping in wings tucked and realy too close. At 20yrds the pattern is only about 18 inches on mine at that distance ....heh!!  I have to find some excuse:/.

Good little bag with the .410 ! I’ve got one, and they’re certainly not the easiest to shoot well consistently!

Not using them often doesn’t help, I’ve only used it once this year and shot 37.....would have been 80+ with the 12 bore, but if the birds are decoying well they do the job no problem once you get your eye in and satisfying too!