HMR17 what is the normal accuracy.part 2

muncher

Jules what scope and reticule are you using.

Whilst I'm not into cleaning the inside of barrels ( not cleaned mine for 4 years ) etc if you have a boresnake/cleaning rod try giving a push through as all the .17hmr I've shot including a Farmer's Truck/Tractor .17 HMR shot them into a ragged hole.

Whilst the last group is exceptable I'm when you're relaxed you're tighten the group up ?

Edited by 6.5x55SE

3 minutes ago, muncher said:

The scope is a Nikon Sterling 4x12x 50 mil dot I think I need to invest in a better scope?

Should be fine mate turn it up to 12 . After reading your other post try using a bigger Bull so you can centre your aim if that makes sense .

If you are set on another scope optisan MTC Viper which i use has very fine crosshair which you can centre a .17 hole at 127yrd ( my zero ) 

Try just drawing a cross with a magic marker on some card. I hate those 'bow and arrow' targets.   Nothing to square up your cross hairs with.

I keep all the bits of white card that come with packages and draw a simple cross and then put a dot at inch intervals along the lines which helps in any adjustment needed.

No problem with the scope. you just don't have anything to line up on shooting at a round dot.

and always zero on max setting.  Had friends tell me the sightes jump about too much doing that, difficult telling them they jump about just as much on minimum but you can't see it.

Edited by Walker570

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Try just drawing a cross with a magic marker on some card. I hate those 'bow and arrow' targets.   Nothing to square up your cross hairs with.

I keep all the bits of white card that come with packages and draw a simple cross and then put a dot at inch intervals along the lines which helps in any adjustment needed.

No problem with the scope. you just don't have anything to line up on shooting at a round dot.

and always zero on max setting.

Sound advice

Very Simple (felt Tip on A4 and print), multiple aim points for Zero work, HMR and .22 on this sheet.

1112910880_AmmoTargets014.jpg.d59ee8aea8a30bc0f44844686d8ddff3.jpg

740358110_AmmoTargets015a.jpg.95771f967b2e0588855bea6d84e89033.jpg

I think that was 50 yards, certainly no more than 60 (.22LR though) Bottom right on top pic.

This is HMR at 100 on a GOOD Day, not usually quite that good!  Hornady Blue V-Max.

HMR100Zero.jpg.47d409711902d19ef1d5e1a94455472a.jpg

Zero however you like, but I always zero on the Magnification I most use, never on Full mag! :good:

Edited by Dekers

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

how long do you take between shots ?...not so much between the 1st and 3rd shot...but from the 3rd to the final shot ..?

Not very long but sometimes I have to wait untill my eye feels good,if that makes sense , I know I'm not a good shot but I would like a bit better than some of the groups I'm getting.