28 sleeps

Salmo

Not long now , all good up here best goose field not cut yet ( last week of this month if the weather gods are watching ) lots of greys Canada’s moving now . Still need water for ponds tho . Benelli been stripped and cleaned , kicks MOD fitted , 42 and 50g 2s sorted and decoys ready . Dog doing press ups as I type ......... BRING IT ON

If the local population of Greylags are anything to go by , you all should be having a very good season for geese , on our Broads there are 100s , every car park is littered with geese and if anything , there are far to many , so if you get a chance try and trim a few out . 

I know its a silly question , but can you really get excited when its 30 degrees outside ? and could well be getting hotter than that as the season gets closer  , I say silly because at one time I would be getting very excited with just over three weeks to go before the big day  , but now I can wait a few weeks till things cool down a bit and the first splashes are seen , but good luck to you early starters .  

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

I know its a silly question , but can you really get excited when its 30 degrees outside ? and could well be getting hotter than that as the season gets closer  , I say silly because at one time I would be getting very excited with just over three weeks to go before the big day  , but now I can wait a few weeks till things cool down a bit and the first splashes are seen , but good luck to you early starters .  

I'm excited that the season is going to start, but if this weather carries on then the 1st will be about the only day I go out! Nice evenings will be used for some rifle shooting instead! 

1 hour ago, Big Mat said:

I'm excited that the season is going to start, but if this weather carries on then the 1st will be about the only day I go out! Nice evenings will be used for some rifle shooting instead! 

Nothing wrong with early season wildfowling , but it just don't no longer appeal to me , if you think its hard keeping pigeons fresh in this hot weather , try keeping a couple of big honkers fresh , with all the down under the feathers they just don't cool down and within a couple of days the gazes build up in the body and the flies have a field day .

I carry on shooting pigeons on one or two non game shooting farms and pigeons on the marsh stubble's , then when they all get pulled up I might get a few days on the early beet lifted , by then we would have a couple of early Partridge days under our belt and the nights would be pulling in with the odd sounds of the Pinks arriving , now its time to put the pigeon decoys away and get the ones out with web feet ,  another fowling season have started .    

While i love my early season wildfowling I can understand Marsh Mans points. I do not go out of my way to shoot geese in September. I have shot the odd one , but I find they go off very quickly , if they have been grass feeding ( which almost every goose will have been at some time in the day ) the grass ferments and the vent goes green within hours so make it a rule to have them plucked and drawn the same day and usually within 6 hours of being shot. Even with ducks at the start of the season I think 24 hours is plenty long enough before you prepare them for the table.

Anyone who is just taking up the sport of wild fowling or if you are thinking of trying a new area , September is a an ideal time to be out and explore the area in fairly calm and mild weather with the added advantage of putting something in the bag , I used to go with low expectations and if I got anything it would then be a bonus .

Unless we get some serious rain over the next three weeks I dare say most ponds that rely on rain fall will be far to dry to think about a early season duck flight , where I worked had three ponds and on a hot summer I had seen them dried out on the outside but still had some water in the middle . this year the whole three had been dry for a few weeks and are now full of cracks with a hard bottom , all of them held a nice lot of Mallard and this time of the year would now be going out on the barley stubble's and come back to the ponds for rest and water.

A couple of small lakes which are fed by underground springs are also low with Green Algae as thick as pea soup on the surface , these will be out of bounds until they get back to normal , even though a few duck are still using them , I don't think it would be a good idea in letting your dog anywhere near the contaminated water .

Still this time next month we might be moaning about to much water , although that might be wishful thinking .