Prevention rather than cure?

henry d

Interesting piece.
Interesting in that, its not publicised/practiced  more if its so effective ?

Although its fairly obvious that violence breeds violence, they are advocating basically turning the other cheek, not exactly a new practice in the biblical sense ?
Maybe thats over simplification, and it sounds like there are some brave men and women willing to put themselves in harms way to try and reduce the cycle.
But I cant help thinking that this approach is like the boy with his finger blocking the hole in the dyke, its not a permanent solution.
Trying to tell the person who has just had theyre friend/relative/spouse , shot, stabbed or covered in acid, that they need to calm down and think about ending the feud and turning the other cheek does sound a little futile.
Especially as in many situations, no response is going to get you a degree of taunting, that is highly unlikely to elicit a peaceful response.

Maybe we should let Mr Khan trial it in London, see how it goes there hey ?

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

It made interesting reading, but I saw little proof. How do you prevent a murder? It's not as if someone identifies themself as a potential murderer and you sit down and talk them out of it.

Agreed, I also personally think that certain individuals like their name in print?

Also, for what my personal opinion is worth, I think that the police and justice system are not fit for purpose and their actions or lack of promote at some levels a psychological release from the bounds of normality so encouraging the law abiding to break the law?

Edited by old man
Forgot to add the constantly meddling politicos!

I found it interesting that they stated that patrolling the streets and getting to know the community was effective. If only there was some kind of organisation in this country that could do such a thing.

How does one tell if one is a gammon? Is there a stamp like on bacon?

11 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

How does one tell if one is a gammon? Is there a stamp like on bacon?

As a derogatory name, its not exactly a good one, I certainly wouldnt feel offended by it, Id be highly amused they thought it offensive.
Its like when they coined Brexiteer as a condescending label, that backfired spectacularly as people were proud to be called it.

Now remoaner and snowflake are just good accurate name calling ?

2 hours ago, AVB said:

Also not sure why you made the gammon remark either. Well if some topics use snowflake in the title its a case of when in Rome... ;)

Out of interest can you give some insight to your thinking? 

I thought the article made some good observations. 

I`ve seen similar things when working on the streets and know someone who uses similar techniques with violent offenders as he was one of Scotland`s worst. By using people who have been in similar situations you are empathetic rather than the usual "I know exactly what you mean" platitudes, which are easily seen through. There is also a lot to be said for homogenous work, where you are part of the community rather than an outsider or statutory body.

It also fits in with some complexity/chaos theories, some of it HERE  but I also have a book which is an easier read but the name escapes me ATM (and I`m just off to the gym).