Tommy Robinson

TIGHTCHOKE

I broadly support his trying to highlight the grooming gand problem and the fact it's all been brushed under the carpet, but I thought he'd breached the bail conditions from a previous sentence?

The fact there's a retrial should worry him.

I can understand and mostly agree with his wanting to highlight the problem of grooming gangs being kept from public attention, as I can equally understand why authorities fear their broadcast even while resenting the fact they have done so, but I'm still not convinced of Robinsons motives. 

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Whatever you think of Tommy Robinson - good or bad - there is very little to argue with in what he says. You may question his motives, but I am still waiting to hear from anyone who thinks he is lying.

He is on the edge...or just over it with regards to what society (Tree hugging, immigration has been great for this country, left wing, financial refugees, Green Party members, my in laws, etc etc)  suggest, BUT, have to agree, what happened to Free speech, he is pretty much on the money....then again, so was Enoch Powell, and look where honesty got him!

Why are so many people so blind?

I think Tommy will always be blighted by his old associations and those of his immediate peers. But he has some  very valid points that as others have said - you’d struggle to disagree with.  Perhaps another voice making the same points / asking the same questions may not get such short shrift ? Anne Marie Waters perhaps?

either way - both are a reaction to the state and media approach of ‘head in sand’.  it’s happening all over the western world too.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. I don’t have any problem with what he was saying it was how he went about it and when he was saying it that was flawed and he left himself open to prosecution. Let’s not forget that he actually pleaded guilty. 

At the retrial the best he can hope for is a lighter sentence but I can’t see him getting off with it Scot free 

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

At the retrial the best he can hope for is a lighter sentence but I can’t see him getting off with it Scot free 

I would be most surprised if there was a retrial, the appeal judges have already condemned the way the first 'trial' and sentencing were conducted.
With his time served, is it really in the public interest to run through it again?
I think not.

8 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I would be most surprised if there was a retrial, the appeal judges have already condemned the way the first 'trial' and sentencing were conducted.
With his time served, is it really in the public interest to run through it again?
I think not.

The appeal judges also said "alleged contempt was serious and the sentence might be longer than that already served”.

i think he is due at the  Old Bailey for the new hearing fairly soon. 

17 hours ago, Scully said:

I can understand and mostly agree with his wanting to highlight the problem of grooming gangs being kept from public attention, as I can equally understand why authorities fear their broadcast even while resenting the fact they have done so, but I'm still not convinced of Robinsons motives. 

Agreed

9 hours ago, AVB said:

The appeal judges also said "alleged contempt was serious and the sentence might be longer than that already served”.

i think he is due at the  Old Bailey for the new hearing fairly soon. 

I got told by a magistrate once , that having a barrel of oil (not leaking) outside of my garage unit 'was a very serious offence'

Like wise every appeal carries the prospect of an increased sentence, but as Ive said, they have already given multiple reasons why his original conviction has been QUASHED.
And sentence declared 'excessive' 
I gave reasons in the original thread, why the original trial was unsafe, unorthodox and kept out of the media, to me the justice system is now backtracking.
And by the tone of the appeal judge, this seems an accurate description.

20 hours ago, Scully said:

Agree, especially with the underlined section.

19 hours ago, pegasus bridge said:

I think Tommy will always be blighted by his old associations and those of his immediate peers.

Whilst people do change, he has shown very poor judgement in some of his past actions (and as a consequence has had many court appearances), and has some nasty pieces of work around him.  I am one (of the many) who utterly condemn Corbyn for tolerating the anti Semites in his party.  Tommy Robinson seems to be equally tolerant of some equally unpleasant views (anti Muslim) in some of his associates.  Anti Muslim is equally bad as anti Semitism.

29 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Agree, especially with the underlined section.

Whilst people do change, he has shown very poor judgement in some of his past actions (and as a consequence has had many court appearances), and has some nasty pieces of work around him.  I am one (of the many) who utterly condemn Corbyn for tolerating the anti Semites in his party.  Tommy Robinson seems to be equally tolerant of some equally unpleasant views (anti Muslim) in some of his associates.  Anti Muslim is equally bad as anti Semitism.

Im not disagreeing with you, and generally speaking I dont have much interest in the whole Labour anti semite thing.

But, are there genuinely people within the Labour party who hate Jews, or is anti semitism a different animal in this context ?
Are they referred to as such because they are pro Muslim or pro Palestinian, so must therefore be anti Israel ?
Labours voter base relies heavily on past migrants, many of whom are Muslim, is it just appeasement for that part, who are genuinely outraged at Israels actions in the middle east, and therefore anti semitic ?
My personal view on Israels behaviour is that it is disgusting, but do I hate Jews? Absolutely not, just like I dont hate Muslims because of terrorist attacks.

TM is called a racist and dismissed as such, but does he genuinely hate all Muslims, or just the ones that commit sex crimes on our children ?
Its interesting  to see how certain people say that he is now in league with the Israelis .

Is it a case of my enemies enemy is my friend, or my enemies friend is my enemy ?

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

TM is called a racist and dismissed as such, but does he genuinely hate all Muslims, or just the ones that commit sex crimes on our children ?

This is the question I would like answered, as like I said, I'm not convinced of his motives. As for his arrest and trial being 'kept out of the media', was this truly the case? I recall reading about it on here, so it was hardly hush hush, and his release has been anything but......top half of the national news the other day. 

22 hours ago, Nial said:

I broadly support his trying to highlight the grooming gand problem and the fact it's all been brushed under the carpet, but I thought he'd breached the bail conditions from a previous sentence?

The fact there's a retrial should worry him.

He did, and that is why he was released when he was, after serving the previous 3 month sentence, which had been suspended. The issue is with the 2nd sentence for contempt and thats what the retrial will look at. I think he'll be headed straight back to gaol.

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

This is the question I would like answered, as like I said, I'm not convinced of his motives. As for his arrest and trial being 'kept out of the media', was this truly the case? I recall reading about it on here, so it was hardly hush hush, and his release has been anything but......top half of the national news the other day. 

There was definitely a media block on it, I got the information he had been taken to a fast track court appearance, plead guilty and sentenced from a right wing website.
Which was confirmed later that day.
I actually had the conversation about his racism with a 'leftie' friend last night, I said he had never really said anything racist in public to my knowledge.
I was wrong, he has said many racist things on twitter particularly, but all date back 5+ years, as was pointed out to me after a search.

Not sticking up for him, I dont like him, but people like him are a necessary evil, to keep balance and keep free speech alive.