Country pub/ Resturant

Rob525

Yea that looks good! 

Completely forgot.. ill be shooting out of a 15th century pub near Carlisle called the string of horses thats very nice. We did a day last year out of there and stayed over but we have the full syndicate this year ive 6 nights booked there this season! Lovely low beams and great food and people! 

http://stringofhorses.com

23 hours ago, Rob525 said:

This is inspired by the recent thread of hobbies other than shooting! (A good read!)

I love food! Good food! In a nice environment! Im not talking a resturant on the top floor of the shard in london but a decent place in the sticks with views of running water hills and trees! (What we must all love??)

Now there are a few criteria for this...

*Good home cooked food, not a chain!

*Game on the menu in season 

*Good beer

*Log fires

... you get the idea!

Now my favourite being in lancashire is the inn at whitewell which happliy swallows a chunk of my wage more often than it probably should but there is somthing about having a beef rib carved up infront of you that tastes that good in that nice of an inviroment that i cannot resist! 

https://www.innatwhitewell.com

I would like your favourite please, where, why, and a link if possible as i would like to try it if i havent already!? 

Thanks Rob 

It would swallow most of my wage!

14 hours ago, Dougy said:

Allot of pubs have gone that route around here but just didn't last, spent too much and expected too much return on the prices. A pity some good old village pubs hve been ruined, Meynel Ingram being an example at Newbrough. 

Not really my idea of an old fashioned country pub, more like bistro diners. 

What sort if reception do you get walking into the bar with boots or wellies on covered in mud with your wet shooting gear on (talking rough shooting here not the fancy dress styles) Farmer labourers having a drink after a days muck spreading, smelling of cow muck. 

My local sells beer, crisps,nuts and lager stuff.

Dart board and pool table.

Quarry tiles and wooden floor boards. 

Those links posted are more like a night out for a meal, nice but not the country pub I'm used to.

That's one of the things I like about the Compasses, you could walk in like that. I have often done so.

On 1 August 2018 at 21:52, Rob525 said:

This is inspired by the recent thread of hobbies other than shooting! (A good read!)

I love food! Good food! In a nice environment! Im not talking a resturant on the top floor of the shard in london but a decent place in the sticks with views of running water hills and trees! (What we must all love??)

Now there are a few criteria for this...

*Good home cooked food, not a chain!

*Game on the menu in season 

*Good beer

*Log fires

... you get the idea!

Now my favourite being in lancashire is the inn at whitewell which happliy swallows a chunk of my wage more often than it probably should but there is somthing about having a beef rib carved up infront of you that tastes that good in that nice of an inviroment that i cannot resist! 

https://www.innatwhitewell.com

I would like your favourite please, where, why, and a link if possible as i would like to try it if i havent already!? 

Thanks Rob 

I stayed there as part of a consultative working party about 15 years ago, other colleagues were ordering 'normal' food off the menu, I kept working my way through the game at every meal!

On 02/08/2018 at 20:52, Rob525 said:

The bay horse next to malmos is another good one. If anyones nipping to malmos bring the family and get in there for lunch keep everyone happy

surprised you haven't mentioned The Fleece, just round the corner from Malmo's, that is very good as well

http://www.fleeceinn.co.uk/

Edited by itchy trigger
link didn't work

On 02/08/2018 at 18:39, Dougy said:

Allot of pubs have gone that route around here but just didn't last, spent too much and expected too much return on the prices. A pity some good old village pubs hve been ruined, Meynel Ingram being an example at Newbrough. 

Not really my idea of an old fashioned country pub, more like bistro diners. 

What sort if reception do you get walking into the bar with boots or wellies on covered in mud with your wet shooting gear on (talking rough shooting here not the fancy dress styles) Farmer labourers having a drink after a days muck spreading, smelling of cow muck. 

My local sells beer, crisps,nuts and lager stuff.

Dart board and pool table.

Quarry tiles and wooden floor boards. 

Those links posted are more like a night out for a meal, nice but not the country pub I'm used to.

The Cock at Hanbury then Dougy?? Must be local to.me ! 

Cheers

On 04/08/2018 at 17:05, Ricko said:

The Bower House Inn in Eskdale always used to be good.

Not been there but have been in the king george a couple hundred yards down the road a few times, thats nice. Used to camp at fisherground there, nice site with camp fires allowed