New car time.

Mice!

It's that dreaded time, old car is still running and only done 166k.

I'm only looking at estates needs to be practical for work but enough room for pretty much anything.

I've had a Mondeo estate for a long while now 160k of the miles are mine.

We started at the Skoda garage last week, apparently I'm the first person that has turned up with a hard rifle case to see how much boot space there is.? 

Looked at the superb and Octavia both very nice but a little round at the back possibly, next its the Passat then Mondeo see what there like.

After reading other threads on here i thought the outback looked nice, there also rare with plenty of mileage on them, and the wife is convinced a Subaru is a bad idea.

And what is with the colours of some cars these days? Can't beat a nice Red? 

If you are in the 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

It's that dreaded time, old car is still running and only done 166k.

I'm only looking at estates needs to be practical for work but enough room for pretty much anything.

I've had a Mondeo estate for a long while now 160k of the miles are mine.

We started at the Skoda garage last week, apparently I'm the first person that has turned up with a hard rifle case to see how much boot space there is.? 

Looked at the superb and Octavia both very nice but a little round at the back possibly, next its the Passat then Mondeo see what there like.

After reading other threads on here i thought the outback looked nice, there also rare with plenty of mileage on them, and the wife is convinced a Subaru is a bad idea.

And what is with the colours of some cars these days? Can't beat a nice Red? 

If you are sitting in the driving seat then surely looks are the last thing to worry about?  Much more important to check driving position and comfort. I have a Citroen C5 Estate, my second, I have had Mondeo Estates before and a long, long time ago a Cortina Estate. The family have grown up now and I normally travel with only 1 or 2 others in the car. But the comfortable ride and load carrying ability are paramount to me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Have you had a look at the Volvo V60? Yes it’s essentially a Mondeo underneath ( hell, my towbar even has a ‘FoMoCo’ sticker on it.

But I think the looks and interior are much nicer than the Ford offering! Then again I’m slightly biased as we have one

56 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If you are in the 

If you are sitting in the driving seat then surely looks are the last thing to worry about?  Much more important to check driving position and comfort. I have a Citroen C5 Estate, my second, I have had Mondeo Estates before and a long, long time ago a Cortina Estate. The family have grown up now and I normally travel with only 1 or 2 others in the car. But the comfortable ride and load carrying ability are paramount to me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

The thing i meant by rounded was there isn't as much boot space, the Mondeo is quite square at the back and surprisingly wider than the skodas across the load space, both very nice cars tho, the Octavia had the panoramic sunroof wow and only ten k over budget.

24 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Have you had a look at the Volvo V60? Yes it’s essentially a Mondeo underneath ( hell, my towbar even has a ‘FoMoCo’ sticker on it.

But I think the looks and interior are much nicer than the Ford offering! Then again I’m slightly biased as we have one

Haven't got to Volvos yet, there a bit pricier, i actually do like the V70 but that might be too big? 

were sort of looking at different modals to see wots wot, only so much pictures can tell you.

I couldn't put my gun case across either of the skodas had to be angled, certainly not a deal breaker but we'll see

Got skoda octavia estate had it from new on a 53 plate i would buy another one with out looking about to see whats out there dont for get they are a VW other than name and a lot cheaper.

When i brought it i payed 14.600 the passat was 19k and the audi was 22k all the same motor.

Congrats on the mileage - you should give yourself a pat on the back for getting full value out of your motor. We bought a Mazda 5 7 seater diesel for the Mrs from New a few years back on a mega Mazda deal and I intend to drive that into the ground - the kids trash it, it gets scratched up in the local school / supermarket car park and it’s also used by me as van with the seats folded flat. That sort of motor and caper really pleases the accountant lurking in me.

Round my way (Ford central) second hand spec’d up Mondeo estates are plentiful - I’d look for a one owner one off a Ford’s employee.

Edited by Mungler

With the arrival of our first little ones a few weeks ago I got rid of the frankly terrible Merc A class (new shape) and have now got a Passat Executive Style (Ohhhhh get her!) 64 plate

Its very good! Comfy, well specced, 20 ltr diesel £30 a year tax and returning 59 MPG on my 20 mile bimble to work.

Mazda 6 Estate.

Mazda completed their divorce from Ford about 10 years ago which means all their current models are genuine Mazda from the ground up.

Read the reviews on the Mazda 6 then consider that my original old 323 was on 155K when it was hit by a 17 year old new driver and written off. My 2nd was a 323f  V6 which I sold at 112K to someone I knew who put another 20K on it before the clutch went west. Neither one ever failed to start or broke down and the only thing I ever had to replace was a set of brushes for the starter motor and a rubber air intake pipe. Apart from normal consumables the first one cost me nothing and the 2nd about £20 in parts.

Wish I could say the same for the 2008 Mazda 3 diesel based on the Focus platform. MAF problems, repeated DPF efficiency warning lights (only when going uphill, never fixed), £250 gearbox selector failed because a 5p plastic bush collapsed. Wishbone bushes failed at 85K, rear spring broke at 100K, steering ball joint at 110K. All of which is Ford produced. The rest of the car, built by Mazda in Japan was trouble free.

I had the new mondeo, Titanium with X pack with a few extra toys, 210ps engine with auto gearbox. Genuinely fantastic all round car and amazing how different it was compared to the Zetec 150ps version of the same car. It got written off 6 months ago and i have replaced it with an Outlander Phev as much cheaper company car tax......i really miss the mondeo! 

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:13, bostonmick said:

Surely at 160k your mondeo still has at least another 100k left in it. 

It possibly does but she is a noisy ride, lots of things getting tired so I'm having a look.

I'll take a look at the mazda 6 thanks westward.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:17, ferguson_tom said:

I had the new mondeo, Titanium with X pack with a few extra toys, 210ps engine with auto gearbox. Genuinely fantastic all round car and amazing how different it was compared to the Zetec 150ps version of the same car. It got written off 6 months ago and i have replaced it with an Outlander Phev as much cheaper company car tax......i really miss the mondeo! 

I was looking at reviews of the Mondeo for a couple of hours at the weekend, the new models look very nice, but i was behind one on the motorway last week, the break lights are tiny, what have the designers done, couldn't say what the indicators were like because he never used them!!!

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 07:13, Jaymo said:

have you ever got used to the dash in the volvo Jaymo? They look very busy, dials and knobs everywhere.

7 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Do you mean the centre console area? 

Its typical Volvo and we find it fine- easier than something like BMW I-Drive

yes the console thanks

5 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

im on my forth mondeo estate,2ltr diesel,currently on 157k had it 5 years an no plans to change till it dies,gives 52 mpg on my runs to yorkshire.

They are good aren't they, what reg are you on mate?