New car time.

Mice!

On 02/08/2018 at 07:37, Mice! said:

The thing i meant by rounded was there isn't as much boot space, the Mondeo is quite square at the back and surprisingly wider than the skodas across the load space, both very nice cars tho, the Octavia had the panoramic sunroof wow and only ten k over budget.

Haven't got to Volvos yet, there a bit pricier, i actually do like the V70 but that might be too big? 

were sort of looking at different modals to see wots wot, only so much pictures can tell you.

I couldn't put my gun case across either of the skodas had to be angled, certainly not a deal breaker but we'll see

Here you go Mice

This is a full size hard case ,46 inch length that will take a scoped, moderated rifle in the back of my Volvo v70 d5 auto, plenty of room in the boot.

atb

7diaw

20180813_192906_opt.jpg

20180813_192858_opt.jpg

20180813_193000_opt.jpg

8 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

This is a full size hard case ,46 inch length that will take a scoped, moderated rifle in the back of my Volvo v70 d5 auto, plenty of room in the boot.

cheers mate, how does it drive? Reading reviews there saying the space in back seats is actually a bit tight? I do like the idea of being big and obvious on the road so everyone can see me ? 

45 minutes ago, Mice! said:

cheers mate, how does it drive? Reading reviews there saying the space in back seats is actually a bit tight? I do like the idea of being big and obvious on the road so everyone can see me ? 

Bags of room in the front, yes the back seats are not huge but I find I can get my two kids, well they are adults now in the back no problem. Well as you know i ain't that tall so I can have my seat forward a bit without losing comfort, i agree if everyone was in it who were tall the back may be a little tight. It drives lovely despite it being high mileage as it has been very well maintained for an 07. The four of us drove down to Southampton the other week with 4 large cases in the boot and the cases weighed in at 120 kg or there abouts as me wife had to weigh them.  The round mileage was 500 for the trip and that was air con on all the way and back as it was in that baking heat. Filled up on total empty about £95 and averaged about 33 to the gallon i think it said, it never missed a beat and it has plenty of oomph if needed. It is a hell of a lot more comfortable than my old xtrail, full leather, sunroof, heated seats, cruise control, electric seats among other things. 

Yes it is a big lump. Glad I changed me job, no good round them terraced streets in Liverpool as it very low, the xtrail was more suited to them as it had the height to deal with the speed bumps.

i had a 2.5t volvo petrol v70 years ago that I done well over a 100k in and I used to get about 20 to the gallon out of that so this one is happy days for me. Others might shriek at the mph but it is horsed for courses.

atb

7diaw

On 13/08/2018 at 20:12, Mice! said:

Go for a XC90 if you want space and road presence.

Had a quick look at a few cars this weekend, V70, Passat and Skoda again, then a Mondeo. Only problem was i didn't have my hard case, i had the kids lie down in the Mondeo boot to get an idea of size ? now need to clean mine a bit and have them lie in that.

The V70 didn't seem as big as i expected and the drivers seat or area seemed a little cramped, a lot going on. The Passat and Mondeo were both very nice, so I'm no closer. 

• 2 weeks later...

What difference does rear wheel drive make? Other than once pushing someone because they couldn't get going on a snowy hill i know nothing about it.

looking on exchange and mart website the other day and a Merc E class came up as an alternative car, all seem to be automatic and rear wheel drive but very nice, any thoughts?

I have a 63 plate 220 CDI, went to Leicester and back the other morning, whats that, around 300 miles, cruise on the motorways at 15 over, stuck to the limit everywhere else, returned 49.6 mpg, newer ones tacky inside, have a lower boot opening

pal calls it a limo,  comfy, refined, huge boot, a bit of tyre noise from the back depending on the surface, but I'm sensitive to that, will sort that at tyre time, mind got a big trans k9 in the boot, could be that resonating, cars a keeper, I like it, easy to fix, engine is supposed to be bullit proof

Edited by itchy trigger
spelling

9 hours ago, itchy trigger said:

I have a 63 plate 220 CDI, went to Leicester and back the other morning, whats that, around 300 miles, cruise on the motorways at 15 over, stuck to the limit everywhere else, returned 49.6 mpg, newer ones tacky inside, have a lower boot opening

pal calls it a limo,  comfy, refined, huge boot, a bit of tyre noise from the back depending on the surface, but I'm sensitive to that, will sort that at tyre time, mind got a big trans k9 in the boot, could be that resonating, cars a keeper, I like it, easy to fix, engine is supposed to be bullit proof

sounds good, what wheel size have you got? Reviews I've read are saying the 18 & 19 inch wheels give a lot more road noise, and i would have expected the mpg to be less than that.

Actually drove a car today!! Volvo V70 D2, I've been looking at D4, but this was on the doorstep.

Could only plod around at 30mph but the view out the windscreen seemed really restricted so i wanted all the gumpf out the window, seemed so very quiet compared to what I'm used to, but only a 1.6 engine automatic.

Also had a look at a Merc E220, very nice but the amount of scuffs and scratches on it was shocking, but the boot was good on both, not quite as wide as my old Mondeo but big enough.

• 1 month later...

what do folk think about mileage on cars? Realised I've missed out a complete class of Mondeo, they changed in 2007 then again in 2014/15 

looking at a couple of cars 2013/14 plates,  full service stamps but in the 70k region with mileage, lots of extras in the titanium X business edition class.

Also a lot less money than looking at 16 plate motors.

Cheers.

Finally its done, 2 litre Mondeo titanium X business edition 14 plate with full service history and 60,000 on the clock.

Only problem is the misses found it not me so I'll never hear the end of it.

Off the lakes next week so we'll see how she gets on.

Thanks all for your input.

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

Finally its done, 2 litre Mondeo titanium X business edition 14 plate with full service history and 60,000 on the clock.

Only problem is the misses found it not me so I'll never hear the end of it.

Off the lakes next week so we'll see how she gets on.

Thanks all for your input.

Keep an eye on those silly tyre pressure indicating valves they have fitted. We have a similarly specced Focus estate of about that age and its had two valves replaced and another two needing to be done soon because they all seem to develop a leak which slowly lets the tyre down. On the plus side,,,it does let you know when its done it !!

5 hours ago, Velocette said:

Keep an eye on those silly tyre pressure indicating valves they have fitted. We have a similarly specced Focus estate of about that age and its had two valves replaced and another two needing to be done soon because they all seem to develop a leak which slowly lets the tyre down. On the plus side,,,it does let you know when its done it !!

The wonders of modern technology, thanks for the heads up.