Hunting priest

Pistol p

One of the guys on my shoot Carries a hunting priest, a wooden baton, about 10 inches long. He uses it to dispatch the pricked and injured pigeons when decoying.

Are there any laws regarding carrying or using these? I ask because we live in central essex and all you have to say is "gun", and suddenly there's a police helicopter over your head.

The world has gone a bit crazy on these things and yes, unfortunately it may revolve around the police officer dealing.   As said, if it is in your shooting kit or in your pocket whilst you are shooting/fishing then no problem, but walking into Tesco's with it hanging from your belt might draw attention. My Land Rover contains a myriad things which could be classed as offence weapons but all are in tool boxes.  Hopefully common sense would prevail.

3 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but I've often wondered why the name 'priest'   Its basically a small club or cosh (another word from the past?) Is there some religious connection?  Please excuse my ignorance if its obvious!      

For administering the "last rites"

To add to that though, in the middle ages, high ranking members of the church were also members of the aristocracy, and as such were expected to appear on the battlefield with the provision thay they would not draw blood. To sidestep this inconvenience they used mace's, clubs, and other blunt impact wepons to send their foe's on to a better place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...