Slow gun sales

eddoakley

Anyone else finding it difficult to sell guns recently?

We have been pretty quiet in the shop with more guns coming in than going out, just today we have bought a 687, a 525 and a couple of cheap semi autos and I know we paid more than any other local shop would, but even a good mix of guns like those will not sell quickly.

Price is always key but looking online even competitively priced guns are taking a ling time to sell.

Is anyone else finding the same?

Edd

7 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Anyone else finding it difficult to sell guns recently?

We have been pretty quiet in the shop with more guns coming in than going out, just today we have bought a 687, a 525 and a couple of cheap semi autos and I know we paid more than any other local shop would, but even a good mix of guns like those will not sell quickly.

Price is always key but looking online even competitively priced guns are taking a ling time to sell.

Is anyone else finding the same?

Edd

I'm finding it quite hard to buy one ? . Thanks for the advice BTW ?

I took a 687s a Winchester pigeon grade xtr s/s and my old miroku 6000 to try and  trade in for a new miroku grade five , the 687s hadn’t fired 500 carts ..the pigeon grade although 40 years old had done very little work ,they didn’t want to trade any and reluctantly offered me £500 for the 687 against a new browning which I didn’t want ..

Edited by moose man

6 minutes ago, moose man said:

I took a 687s a Winchester pigeon grade xtr s/s and my old miroku 6000 to try and  trade in for a new miroku grade five , the 687s hadn’t fired 500 carts ..the pigeon grade although 40 years old had done very little work ,they didn’t want to trade any and reluctantly offered me £500 for the 687 against a new browning which I didn’t want ..

My son is wanting a 687 if it is MC 30inch in top condition.

pm me if so. 

1 minute ago, The gouse said:

My son is wanting a 687 if it is MC 30inch in top condition.

pm me if so. 

It was the 28 inch fixed choke ...I’ve given it to the keeper over the Shoot to see if he gets on with it ..it is in mint condition though ..I was gifted it eight or nine years ago but it just doesn’t come up right on me hence the reason I never shot it ..

When money is tight, recreational spending is the first thing that gets cut.

Its not just guns, car dealers are doing fantastic deals, Vauxhall are offering 0% over 5 years with no deposit, Ford are doing similar. Toyota are offering minimum £4000 trade in on any old banger against a new car. All sure signs that sales are slow. Why buy a new car when most of the cars in my family are over ten years old and still running perfectly?

Boats are the same, my mate is in the boat business and he says you literally cannot give away second hand boats unless they are live aboards. At my sailing club there are plenty of good dinghies on the notice board for sale that never move. The club's problem is they have an aging membership, they are not getting sufficient new blood in.

Round London rifle clubs are closing or are under threat, and the common thread running through these closures is the value of the land they occupy. Sites get sold from under them for development.

Many clay clubs you have to have a sgc before you can go along and have a go, making it much harder for newcomers to enter the sport.

Edited by Vince Green

On the car front wife and I have, in the last 12mths, bought 2 new cars, both with very 'generous' discounts. Nearly 7k off a new Cooper S 4x4 (for me!) and 5k off a Smart car. Whilst these might seem silly cars to some of you guys in both instances they suited our lifestyles/ needs perfectly. The discounts included in one case £3,500 scrappage on an old Nissan and the other one was a car loaded with goodies meaning RRP was really too high but we ended up with top of the range models for the price of two steps or more below. Yes the motor trade seem desperate.

13 hours ago, hambone said:

I'm finding it quite hard to buy one ? . Thanks for the advice BTW ?

No problem on the advice. 

Pm me with what you are looking for as we have loads in at the moment.

Edd

11 hours ago, fern01 said:

I was going to sell a shotgun recently but the gun shops seemed keen to sell on commission, a sign that gun sales have been slow recently I think.

We don't like to do commission sales as it could well stop us selling one of our own but we still offer to do it as often the seller either wants too much for the gun (very common for owners to over value their guns), we just don't think it would sell easily or often the owners just want guns off their ticket (but still want too much money!)

Definitely seems as though others are noticing that sales of all kinds are slow.

Edd

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

as often the seller either wants too much for the gun (very common for owners to over value their guns), we just don't think it would sell easily or often the owners just want guns off their ticket (but still want too much money!)

Edd

Or more likely, the dealer wants the gun for nothing!.....that's business I know!.......but personally, I wouldn't sell to, part chop or buy a gun from a dealer! 

I have been looking on Guntrader and some of the guns have been on for months and not sold, some Benelli SuperSports that are not over priced. So i would agree its slow at the moment.  

I usually change semi autos and second gun like a Over and Under but not bothered as nothing has caught my eye and resale prices are down.

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Or more likely, the dealer wants the gun for nothing!.....that's business I know!.......but personally, I wouldn't sell to, part chop or buy a gun from a dealer! 

That is indeed sometimes the case.

I know some large dealers that base their offer on selling the gun back into the trade so in effect 2 lots of profit lost by the seller.

With us a lot depends on what we have in stock. If we have loads of Berettas or Brownings it means that either they are not selling so we don't want any more or that we are too expensive. Either way it means a reduced offer to the seller. I'm always honest about what I'm prepared to pay for something and what I expect to sell it for. By the time you take out tax, Labour, staff, insurance, advertising, utilities, alarm costs....probably a few more things that I have forgotten then the margin doesn't leave a lot.

Edd

Purely anecdotal I know but I recently chopped my 1993 Beretta 686 special for a Browning 725 sporter black.  From my research on both guns I felt I got both a good PX on the Beretta and a good price on the Browning (plus cash back offer!).  Also noticed that the Beretta sold within 2 weks from the RFD.

Problem now is that I can't stop looking at old SxS despite having recently picked up a 1930's T Newton 12g...!

Another slow day and have bought as many guns as I have sold!

Does seem quiet everywhere. Noticing things taking longer to sell on here and other forums. 

It's so quiet that I think we actually have to stop buying any guns for a while (that's what Mrs Edd says anyway) 

Edd

46 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The good lady has a point!

Shhhhhh!

She might hear you and spoil my fun.

If you don't have it you can't sell it so as long as it's the right stock having a bit more than we need isn't to big a problem- as long as things pick up a bit soon.

I have friends in other types of retail who also say things a bit slow yet my building work has never been so busy.

Can't have it all I suppose.

Edd

On 02/08/2018 at 22:05, moose man said:

I have just bought a Winchester Model 23 in a private sale and the seller said he could have sold it 10 times over, I would get it on Guntrader.

3 hours ago, grahamch said:

no bargains or discounts to be had around me. Dealers have been to for a Rizzinni RBEM 20 all quote RRP and offer miserly p/x values for my browning 725. 

The trouble with taking px at the moment is that everything is difficult to sell. 

Margins on new guns are small so discounts are difficult and then to take a gun in px means that the shop is investing more money in stock which often they don't want. That's how it is with us at the moment anyway.

Edd

28 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

The trouble with taking px at the moment is that everything is difficult to sell. 

Margins on new guns are small so discounts are difficult and then to take a gun in px means that the shop is investing more money in stock which often they don't want. That's how it is with us at the moment anyway.

Edd

Seems like a stalemate of sorts. 

Unless a half decent deal if offered thevmarket will stagnate which is bad for all.

May resort to selling privately

5 hours ago, JRDS said:

I have just bought a Winchester Model 23 in a private sale and the seller said he could have sold it 10 times over, I would get it on Guntrader.

Cheers for that J , I’ll have a go on guntrader , it’s just sitting in the box I haven’t fired it for ages ..other than shooting a mole ..61CF10CF-A840-43D6-B1A4-6498B464E53E.jpeg.ce40688a8a5c5efb1ee0f3ae94c61fdf.jpeg