Years since i had this

ditchman

Cheese and potatoe pie.........and anything else hangin' around like and onion bit of spam chopped and fried bacon

the lardi-da set put puff pastry on theirs.............................im tempted to do some nice fatty bits of belly pork in the oven to go with it....

anyone else eat stuff like this ?

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Cheese and potatoe pie.........and anything else hangin' around like and onion bit of spam chopped and fried bacon

the lardi-da set put puff pastry on theirs.............................im tempted to do some nice fatty bits of belly pork in the oven to go with it....

anyone else eat stuff like this ?

So you must be the Lardy set!:lol::good:

18 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I had battered spam fritters for tea the other eve, not had them for years. nom, nom nom!

Ditchy

Ready Steady Cook!

Let us know what it tastes like

atb

7diaw

SPAM FRITTERS...............jesus i forgot about them.....they were great...trouble is cant eat em now...got batter on em...you know gluten an stuff......damn

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Well not very often 

i would be sensible about it....some nice cabbage with melted butter on it........and on the potatoe pie ib would have thin slices of tomatoe on and a healthy sprinking of cheese on top of that......wonder what it would taste like made with "Stinkin' bishop"...

oh gooood i think im going to have a culinary organism

When I was a nipper I remember a family in our street, I went to school with one of the lads, he always took beef dripping sandwiches for school dinner and smelled of dripping, I got invited to go and have dinner with them and dinner consisted of beef dripping sandwiches, chips and gravy, must say I like a good beef dripping sandwich, but I found out why the whole family and the house smelled of dripping.

Funny some of the things you remember.

Still love corned beef slatherd with English mustard in my sarnies!

As a kid always used to wipe some bread around the grill pan after cooking bacon - very tasty indeed.

Afraid that spam fritters are still the stuff of school nghtmares - it still makes my stomach lurch remembering the amount of grease that oozed out when I sqaushed one with a fork (ironic i know given the bacon related point above:)).

I like decent food but too but there's some staples that stay with you!

9 minutes ago, MisterGain said:

As a kid always used to wipe some bread around the grill pan after cooking bacon - very tasty indeed.

Afraid that spam fritters are still the stuff of school nghtmares - it still makes my stomach lurch remembering the amount of grease that oozed out when I sqaushed one with a fork (ironic i know given the bacon related point above:)).

you ever since i can remember i HATED CORNED BEEF........................until about a year ago...and i love it now...i have it on gluten free bread stuff with raw onion....cant do mustard which i love cause bloody colemans cut their mustard back with wheat flour...i used to remember that colemans mustard used to make yer eyes water....bloody dont now...

13 minutes ago, MisterGain said:

Afraid that spam fritters are still the stuff of school nghtmares - it still makes my stomach lurch remembering the amount of grease that oozed out when I sqaushed one with a fork (ironic i know given the bacon related point above).

Corned beef, onion and HP sauce my favourite. Superb done in the Breville as well ? 

56 minutes ago, ditchman said:

SPAM FRITTERS...............jesus i forgot about them.....they were great...trouble is cant eat em now...got batter on em...you know gluten an stuff......damn

i would be sensible about it....some nice cabbage with melted butter on it........and on the potatoe pie ib would have thin slices of tomatoe on and a healthy sprinking of cheese on top of that......wonder what it would taste like made with "Stinkin' bishop"...

oh gooood i think im going to have a culinary organism

????

I just searched gluten free spam fritters for you. No luck ditchy you just have to make do with fried spam which in my opinion is the best poor mans beef!

Can anyone remember a finer poor mans beef which was a notch up from spam, if i can recall it was called ulster fry. It was thinner than spam fritters and you fried it, bloomin lovely it was, I can smell it now!

7diaw

As Mr Gain said above, spam fritters were a staple of our school dinners. Wednesday I think. Sitting in a steel tray under a heat lamp waiting for the dinner bell to ring didn't help their greasy deliciousness. :sick: Followed by (usually) spotted **** and that weird pink custard. 

Mrs w takes the biscuit with her weird ways to use up leftovers. Cold shepherds pie sandwich is one of her faves.

29 minutes ago, walshie said:

As Mr Gain said above, spam fritters were a staple of our school dinners. Wednesday I think. Sitting in a steel tray under a heat lamp waiting for the dinner bell to ring didn't help their greasy deliciousness.  Followed by (usually) spotted **** and that weird pink custard. 

Mrs w takes the biscuit with her weird ways to use up leftovers. Cold shepherds pie sandwich is one of her faves.

cold curry leftover on fresh cut bread with sliced banana..............................give it to me baby.....(used to be at 3 in morning when you had the munchies)...i tell you....you can eat sum weird stuff when you are hungry and half asleep..........and then you wake up in the morning and think "did i really eat that"

You can make your own spam fritters, gluten free, if you make the batter with either:-

1. Cornflour, just mix with cold fizzy water and you get a really light crisp batter which works well with fish too.

2. Chickpea flour or gram flour. Blend with an egg and milk - this makes a thicker batter, perfect for pancakes and I reckon would work well with Spam.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

In a former role, I used to be responsible for making Spam Fritters ... taste panels were a guilty pleasure :lookaround:

im into in a big way at the moment....................pork belly slices................chined....herbs...salt rubbed in and cooked in the oven skin up..............

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

im into in a big way at the moment....................pork belly slices................chined....herbs...salt rubbed in and cooked in the oven skin up..............

On a bed of sliced onion so that the onion browns as the pork roasts and a few sliced mushrooms.

a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken up the juices once it is cooked and a little stock.

Serve with mashed potatoes and green veg.

Roast pork belly - food of the gods

4 hours ago, amateur said:

On a bed of sliced onion so that the onion browns as the pork roasts and a few sliced mushrooms.

a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken up the juices once it is cooked and a little stock.

Serve with mashed potatoes and green veg.

Roast pork belly - food of the gods

I should have said that you take the pork out of the pan and let it rest whilst you put the roasting pan on the cooker top to make the gravy. Blend in the cornflour with the meat juices, add the stock, let it all bubble up and thicken, check the seasoning and Bob's your uncle! 

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

I should have said that you take the pork out of the pan and let it rest whilst you put the roasting pan on the cooker top to make the gravy. Blend in the cornflour with the meat juices, add the stock, let it all bubble up and thicken, check the seasoning and Bob's your uncle! 

what i have done recently is...let them cook until done...take em out chop em up into 1" cubes and pour over the lumps a mix of plum jam soya sourse onion ..pineapple and a bit of woster saurce ...(all guten free stuff)....stuff it under the grill until it crisps up and starts to spatter ....served up with steamed chinese cabbage...and rice.....

all sause is nice done as stickt chichen wings...........