Night vision

bang bang birdy

Hello

i fancy trying out night vision for a bit of fox control, but I be never used one and don’t know anyone with them. I don’t want to spend £1000s as it is only for recreational use. What would be the best options for me? Add on or digital ?At the moment I’m shooting a tikka t3 .243 with a Zeiss durayt 3-12x56 scope on it.

many thanks james

I don’t use a centre fire but I did build my own nv add on for about £250. I chose add on because day/night scopes cost lots and I was told that the day function of some is poor.

That said, I don’t know whether the range of your gun would dictate a more powerful set up.

I use a ward add on. They are excellent but it won't work with my Meopta scope as the scope reflects much of the infra red. Your scope may be the same?

The head up's work well for not so much cash but again the scope may be an issue. I would have a look at the night vision forum for some very informed advice. These people may be worth a look as source of make your own stuff. 

Not an expert by any means but add on wise there is dave gs kwik fit add on (screen type) which i have and find perfect for my use , then there are clive wards 800s and warden adder scopecam ,same unit available at custom riflescopes and ludicrous lumens i think at a lesser price (bit of a queery  on that one)

not sure if your scope would be an issue with its coatings , however someone else will be along shortly with greater knowledge than me to steer you right 

2 hours ago, bang bang birdy said:

Hello

i fancy trying out night vision for a bit of fox control, but I be never used one and don’t know anyone with them. I don’t want to spend £1000s as it is only for recreational use. What would be the best options for me? Add on or digital ?At the moment I’m shooting a tikka t3 .243 with a Zeiss durayt 3-12x56 scope on it.

many thanks james

hello, what range limit will you be shooting, not all day scopes are suitable for an add on, you need check on your Zeiss ? what about a dedicated night vision scope ? you can swop over at night, or a night vision add on ? plus a good I/R torch, what is your budget ?

26 minutes ago, bang bang birdy said:

Don’t really like shooting over 150 yards in the dark I would rather try to get closer. But I would quite like to be able to I’d quarry at range if that’s possible. Budget would be up to about £500 I think but less if possible 

hello, ok 150 yards, so a choice of an add on to a day scope plus I/R torch,  or a dedicated night vision scope , check out your scope to see if suitable for an add on ? where are you in oxfordshire bbb ? i might have something of interest?  PM sent

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I found that the more expensive the scope, the less it worked with IR. At one point, I swopped my S&B scope (on my .243) for a cheaper one (I think it was a Nikko Sterling Mountmaster) and it was perfect. Make sure that the scope has an adjustable parallax.

On the side so your hand doesn't interrupt the IR when you focus.

18 hours ago, Whitester said:

For your budget i’d Get a Yukon photon with a doubler because your current scope won’t work with an add on (at a guess)

hello, you do not even need a doubler for 150 yards, i can get a good 150 yards with my MK 1 photon but with a good I/R torch, although i only go to 80 with my CZ455 l/r   for anyone interested i have a MK 1 PHOTON FOR SALE

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I’d go for a photon. I know they’re dedicated not add on but I like mine and I’ve had 2 now. Extreming it will give you enhanced clarity and ability to see even further with a decent ir torch. With a £500 you’d probably manage to get one of the new rt models. Add on wise id go for something in line rather than the screen on top just because you’re less likely to knock the in line one rather than the screen if you’re scrambling around in the dark in a rush to shoot something. But there in line add ons are pricey!

That's a good point about knocking an add on. A dedicated isn't as delicate and far less of a faff to use. However an add on is far easier to switch from day to night time shooting. I switch between day and night scopes on my hmr ( a hawke vantage and a photon xt) but they do need a zero check which isn't ideal so realistic ly you'd have to be going out day or night shooting .  

I'm in the same boat as the op at the mo for my 243 I want to shoot at night but don't want to spend more than £500. I don't want to take the photon off the hmr because re zeroing a 243 gets expensive and I don't have weaver rails on the t3 so I'd have to put the photon in the optilocs which takes time. So think I will go add on, the ward addon looks good.

in saying all of this I guess I could put a weaver rail on the t3 and use some quality quick release mounts for the day scope/ photon.

Edited by Whitester

41 minutes ago, Whitester said:

That's a good point about knocking an add on. A dedicated isn't as delicate and far less of a faff to use. However an add on is far easier to switch from day to night time shooting. I switch between day and night scopes on my hmr ( a hawke vantage and a photon xt) but they do need a zero check which isn't ideal so realistic ly you'd have to be going out day or night shooting .  

I'm in the same boat as the op at the mo for my 243 I want to shoot at night but don't want to spend more than £500. I don't want to take the photon off the hmr because re zeroing a 243 gets expensive and I don't have weaver rails on the t3 so I'd have to put the photon in the optilocs which takes time. So think I will go add on, the ward addon looks good.

in saying all of this I guess I could put a weaver rail on the t3 and use some quality quick release mounts for the day scope/ photon.

Thats a good solution if you can be confident in the zero after change over. I was going down that route but then decided it was easier to get a dedicated fox rifle. Still use the Ward on it though. 

It would be well worth looking at the NVUK link I gave above to see some of the self build options. Cheaper and in some cases better than you can buy for the money. Not sure i have the diy skills to take that route though. 

41 minutes ago, oowee said:

Thats a good solution if you can be confident in the zero after change over. I was going down that route but then decided it was easier to get a dedicated fox rifle. Still use the Ward on it though. 

It would be well worth looking at the NVUK link I gave above to see some of the self build options. Cheaper and in some cases better than you can buy for the money. Not sure i have the diy skills to take that route though. 

hello, if you have a day scope and a n/v scope that you change over on 1 rifle,  i use a rail block mount ? this is put on front of rail and you then can put the front scope mount against the block so no need to re zero