landy advice

ditchman

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

so maybe 4-6000 grand for one with a galv' chassis ?

what I would do if possible is to talk to anybody you see with one that way you will get more info , plus a possible contact , panel's can be replaced  but underneath is more important gal'v price is about right , see how you go but don't rush into anything .

1 hour ago, kenholland said:

what I would do if possible is to talk to anybody you see with one that way you will get more info , plus a possible contact , panel's can be replaced  but underneath is more important gal'v price is about right , see how you go but don't rush into anything .

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

What’s wrong with the Landy you have already?

7 minutes ago, la bala said:

I new he would come round to a Series in the end. :lol:

i have a very good friend just down the road from me ex military and retired recently from the civil service...who has always hanquered after one....only to drive it regualar locally.....so im making a few enquires on his behalf ..before he makes any desision............

There is plenty out there to look at Simon, they certainly making some money now. Some are asking up to 2 grand for basket cases. As i am sure you know tin worm around rear spring hangers and rear cross member, front chassis legs (dumb irons), chassis outriggers, and bulk head. Which reminds me I may have a good project for the winter, grafting in a new rear half chassis. 

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

There was a LWB pick up in Cumbria for 5k a couple of month ago. Don’t know if it’s still there but I can PM number if you want to find out? 

no thanks at the moment...im just helping my mate to put some figures together...and to see what you get for for your money...some landys are going for really stupid prices   others are going for reasonable ammonts.....will have to buy private as the sales people are really jacking their prices up..................:good:

To be honest, if I wanted a Land Rover to do the job it is made for then at the moment I would buy a wreck for the least money I could afford and then replace all the rubbish with new. Galv chasis , new bulkhead etc etc., they are like big Meccano kits, relatively easy to work on and replace everything to new speck ....even replace the dirty diesel with a 4.6 V8 on LPG.

Almost exactly how I got my 90.  Bulkhead still passes MOT so that is in obeyance at the moment ... 29yrs old and going strong.

Edited by Walker570

If your prepared to travel and not bothered what engine is fitted you can still pick up a series with mot and a galv chassis for 4K 

I bought my lightweight because it had a galv chassis and its what i would look for in future as no worries about welding or the chassis snapping in half !

Some of the advertised prices are just stupid and they will never get the asking price 

9 hours ago, chrisp said:

It pays to look on all the sales sites daily if you can ,and be ready to jump in the car with the cash and head of to see it

Anything cheap and good wont be around long but there are still bargains out there

yeah.....he has found that out...............

43 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Well I jumped.. And got a swb 2a 1979.  Will be picking it up next week. 

Sorry to hear your news. Hope it works out for you. I am sat in one now waiting to go on to the top fields. It's an old pile of . . . . But some people like them. ?