opt out organ donation

oowee

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quite. It's got nothing to do with the state, it's about saving people's lives. So yeah, you can opt out of saving someone's life if you want...

If I could be specific about the receiver of organs,,then I may consider it,,,but not many would fit my criteria for being worthy of saving.

23 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Everyone is entitled to their own wish.

my only question is have you any kids, grand kids, parents, wife etc and if they were dying would you wish them to be saved by a donor ?

Only a wife,,,and organ donation cannot prevent her death.

7 minutes ago, oowee said:

Maybe any one opted out should be denied treatment?

Maybe anyone who hasn't made NI contributions for a substantial period should be denied treatment ?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Velocette said:

If I could be specific about the receiver of organs,,then I may consider it,,,but not many would fit my criteria for being worthy of saving.

Only a wife,,,and organ donation cannot prevent her death.

I wonder what you'd say if you were on the transplant list. Would you still not want it to be an opt out.

Who is worthy of it then? if there aren't many, it should be easy enough to say...

5 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I wonder what you'd say if you were on the transplant list. Would you still not want it to be an opt out.

Who is worthy of it then? if there aren't many, it should be easy enough to say...

That's easy,,,first sign of problems and my next stop is Dignitas.

1 hour ago, Velocette said:

Wow you sound a great guy . 

I can understand not saving a rapist, terrorist etc but most people are worth saving . Good job your not a doctor else the mortuary would be full.

i lost my sister and unfortunately she’d been gone to long to use any organs but I wish her death could of brought happiness/life to others . 

Hope you don’t fall off that horse as it sounds blooming high.

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Who's "our"?

England. Wales have done this for a few years now.

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think that is the point, now unless you opt out,  your usable parts can be used for the benefit of others rather than the old way where you had to be carrying a card.

Good all round

The sad part about it is, even if you agree to your organs being used, your family can still object and their wishes will be honoured.

Sounds like a load of Hokey Cokey to me! In out in out and shake it all about! Or was that something else I was dreaming about :hmm:

In theory a great idea! But in practice perhaps a few bumps in the road coming?

bound to be an outrage when some John Doe foreigner type chucks it in, and has his organs harvested! When his next of kin find out the proverbial will hit the fan. 

Used to be a conspiracy for years that if you carried a donor card, they were less likely to resuscitate you :hmm: Now they will be stood by your bedside with a opt out sheet and a dry fountain pen no doubt :lol:

1 hour ago, Lord Geordie said:

Sounds like a load of Hokey Cokey to me! In out in out and shake it all about! Or was that something else I was dreaming about

In theory a great idea! But in practice perhaps a few bumps in the road coming?

bound to be an outrage when some John Doe foreigner type chucks it in, and has his organs harvested! When his next of kin find out the proverbial will hit the fan. 

Used to be a conspiracy for years that if you carried a donor card, they were less likely to resuscitate you  Now they will be stood by your bedside with a opt out sheet and a dry fountain pen no doubt

??

My wife wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for a donor, and we quietly thank them and their family everyday she takes a  breath of a new days air .

Any parts of me that can help another live or have a fuller life after I'm gone they are welcome to it, until you have been in a seemingly hopeless life threatening  situation with a loved one it is easy to knock the idea.

11 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Mine and my families thanks go virtually every day to the 18 year old young lady that carried the donor card and enabled me to be part of my children's lives as they grew up over the last 13 years - unless faced with the situation it is hard to explain how you feel when you realise that another persons thoughtfulness and care has given you life, there cannot be a greater gift surely? God Bless her, I only wish I could tell her somehow.

Fabulous post.

I don’t think this is as straight forward as some would make it appear. Would I want a child of mine to be saved by the ultimate gift of donor organs? Without doubt yes. 

Could I allow a dead child of mine to be relieved of its organs? At the time, no, I couldn’t, the grieving process was far too raw, but given time or perhaps if it had been explained to me that there was a baby in another ward desperately in need of an organ, then possibly. I couldn’t see my ex OH agreeing at any point. 

If the parent is given the opt out on behalf of a child then fair enough, but ultimately as long as the choice is there for all, then fair enough. 

I am in favour in principle but worry about it being enforced insensitively by over enthusiastic medical staff. For example, if a person dies in tragic circumstances it is usual for the family to be given time and a place to sit with then and say their goodbyes. This is in conflict with the need to take organs as quickly as possible. Its one of the reasons there is a shortage of donors 

Edited by Vince Green

5 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I am in favour in principle but worry about it being enforced insensitively

I don't think there will be any chance of that Vince. I was watching a program about organ donation and the 'opt in/out process, and even if the deceased person has agreed to his/her donations being donated, if a family member objects, then their wishes will be honoured. Personally, I think this is wrong, as they are going against the wishes of their family member who, for obvious reasons, can't argue with them. I signed a form many years ago regarding allowing my organs to be donated, and all my family are 100% behind me. I know that should the time come, my wishes will be honoured.

Why would the state want your organs velocette?? Trust me, it doesn't - a sick and dying person somewhere who has come to terms with the idea of dying but has just one glimmer of hope - that something about to be thrown away could be their saviour does. If your child was dying of Renal failure (God Forbid) I'm guessing that you would give them one of your Kidneys and gladly accept that the NHS (or "the state") is going to spend £40k plumbing it in then paying thousands of pounds a year to keep her alive? Why is the idea of giving someone life so hard to swallow? Maybe a walk down the local Hospital and a quick peek in the Dialysis unit would open your eyes? 

35 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Why would the state want your organs velocette?? Trust me, it doesn't - a sick and dying person somewhere who has come to terms with the idea of dying but has just one glimmer of hope - that something about to be thrown away could be their saviour does. If your child was dying of Renal failure (God Forbid) I'm guessing that you would give them one of your Kidneys and gladly accept that the NHS (or "the state") is going to spend £40k plumbing it in then paying thousands of pounds a year to keep her alive? Why is the idea of giving someone life so hard to swallow? Maybe a walk down the local Hospital and a quick peek in the Dialysis unit would open your eyes? 

Its quite simple,,,to donate is to decide to give something,,,my choice. Its alarming to see the "groupthink" process gather momentum to the extent that one can be judged to be wrong just because one doesn't agree with a majority. By "The State" I was presuming to refer to the high handed notion that someone/something is attempting to deny me the autonomy of my own body by assuming consent unless I prevent them.  

55 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Its quite simple,,,to donate is to decide to give something,,,my choice. Its alarming to see the "groupthink" process gather momentum to the extent that one can be judged to be wrong just because one doesn't agree with a majority. By "The State" I was presuming to refer to the high handed notion that someone/something is attempting to deny me the autonomy of my own body by assuming consent unless I prevent them.  

Or, put simply, you don't want to help people. It's fine to disagree, if you can put together a reasoned, well argued response. your argument seems to boil down to, 'Why not donate? Because bite me, that's why not,' which doesn't really feel good enough when we're talking about saving lives. I'm not sure you can reasonably argue that and not expect to get some backlash

Personally I would rather it was a voluntary thing.

I can see the argument for the compulsory thing but suspect anything that the state makes mandatory as their history of honesty is not good.

I am just waiting for the first harvested organs to appear illegally on the international market? Someone will soon be after a fast £ or 1000.  Some Doctors no less prone to snaffling a quick quid than politicos?

When I’m dead , IF ....there’s anything of use to anyone one else they are more than welcome to it , the bits they don’t want they can chuck over the tip , feed to the pigs or do what ever I won’t care , I won’t have any say and won’t be in the least interested ..All I ask is they find a good home for the dog , guns,  fishing tackle and any sporting kit that sees me out ..?..I’d really hate the ff5’s to go to waste ..?

37 minutes ago, old man said:

I am just waiting for the first harvested organs to appear illegally on the international market? Someone will soon be after a fast £ or 1000.  Some Doctors no less prone to snaffling a quick quid than politicos?

That happens already internationally, there is a big trade in organs, whether its illegal or not I don't know. It definitely happens in America where I don't actually think its illegal to sell organs, people even sell their blood over there.

I still think it should be an opt in, not opt out, after all its still your body and how far do we go, if you may be brain damaged you have to opt in to be resuscitated?

Maybe is should be fielded that if you opt in then you go on the receiving list (obviously children exempted), if you dont opt in you will still be considered but only if all the opt in members have been ruled out... that seems fair?

if my organs are good to anybody they are more than welcome to them when after I am done with them   if you are healthy before car accident or other   with healthy organs why cannot they be harvested to help someone else live a full life     have always in the belief out of some bad comes some good comes  

Edited by Saltings

When I go they can have what they like if it's any good. It won't be any use to me and I won't be there to worry. I'd pity the poor chap that got my liver though.  

Seems a sensible idea and given the number that die each day, should go some way to helping those less fortunate and in need.