opt out organ donation

oowee

9 hours ago, Vince Green said:

That happens already internationally, there is a big trade in organs, whether its illegal or not I don't know. It definitely happens in America where I don't actually think its illegal to sell organs, people even sell their blood over there.

That happens internationally as you say and triggered my thought.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My previous wife was a nurse, she told me brain dead people would be kept alive in I.C. to preserve all of the organs.

I dont know for how long.

When the Organs were needed, they were removed, without anaesthetic. 

But who really knows if the 'Brain Dead' body can or can not feel pain ?

Quite a lot of Medical Staff refused to carry cards for this reason.

This was in the 80's.

16 hours ago, mickyh said:

My previous wife was a nurse, she told me brain dead people would be kept alive in I.C. to preserve all of the organs.

I dont know for how long.

When the Organs were needed, they were removed, without anaesthetic. 

But who really knows if the 'Brain Dead' body can or can not feel pain ?

Quite a lot of Medical Staff refused to carry cards for this reason.

This was in the 80's.

have a look here

http://kgov.com/brain-dead-patients-who-have-recovered

My feelings on this are, it is a wonderful and kind thing to donate organs to others who need them, but it should be totally up to the person giving them, people might have all sorts of personal reasons for not wishing to donate, from religious belief all the way to being plane selfish, imo it should still remain that persons choice and I'm not sure an opt out gives people that choice.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

My feelings on this are, it is a wonderful and kind thing to donate organs to others who need them, but it should be totally up to the person giving them, people might have all sorts of personal reasons for not wishing to donate, from religious belief all the way to being plane selfish, imo it should still remain that persons choice and I'm not sure an opt out gives people that choice.

Opt out or Opt in, either way you are given the choice.

To me it seems that we’re becoming a nation to protest at anything and everything - PW’s off topics being a case in question.

Why can’t ‘off topic’ go back to sewer pipes and other DIY repairs......:-)

2 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

To me it seems that we’re becoming a nation to protest at anything and everything - PW’s off topics being a case in question.

So you are "protesting" about the Off Topic Section being used wrongly in your eyes. Do you understand the meaning of Off Topic?

There is an existing DIY Section for all of that sort of stuff.

Are you waiting for the Self Loading Freight?

26 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Not really, if you don't know about the new legislation you could have your organs taken and it wouldn't have been your choice, I think they should roll out a large campaign encouraging people to sign up, or send a letter out with the electoral roll, something like that, I just beleive in freedom of choice.

For the record I've chosen to give my organs for years.

34 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Not really, if you don't know about the new legislation you could have your organs taken and it wouldn't have been your choice, I think they should roll out a large campaign encouraging people to sign up, or send a letter out with the electoral roll, something like that, I just beleive in freedom of choice.

For the record I've chosen to give my organs for years.

The problem with sending out ‘literature’ is it’s either ignored, chucked in the bin or people just can’t be ‘bothered’.

With the shortage of suitable donations then if anything, a mailshot campaign would at least prove how useless paper media is these days.

58 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So you are "protesting" about the Off Topic Section being used wrongly in your eyes. Do you understand the meaning of Off Topic?

There is an existing DIY Section for all of that sort of stuff.

Are you waiting for the Self Loading Freight?

We’ve a DIY forum? Tell Lloyd to take his sewer talk elsewhere then ?

Did my SLF this morning, will repeat it all again tomorrow depending on the cancellation we might get from the impending storm here in Amsterdam 

22 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

The problem with sending out ‘literature’ is it’s either ignored, chucked in the bin or people just can’t be ‘bothered’.

And therefore those people do not give their consent, or in other words don't opt in.

Like mentioned above the other way around and people are not aware that they need to opt out, who may not give their consent may have their organs used against their wishes/religion. Personally I couldn't care either way when you are dead you are dead, but some people do and may not know they need to remove the right to use their organs or opt out if you like.

It should be a mandatory question on all official applications like registering at a doctors, passport, driving licence, etc.

My wife has an inherited kidney disease.

Her mother and eldest sister died from it. Her elder brother and sister have had transplants, one living donor and one post-mortem donor, and both are living full lives.

When the time comes I shall put myself forward for testing as a living donor for her.

However, as part of my work in the forces I became irradiated 3 times. Some of my comrades involved in the same work have already died from radiation linked cancers. Because of the half-life of the contamination then, as it was back in the seventies, the longer I go on then the lower the risk from it.

While I'm in the position, as a living donor, to advise any medical team that they should check for any potential problems then I will.

I also contracted Leptospirosis last year which should be clear this September.

I very much doubt if radioactive contamination would be part of any checks carried out post-mortem if my organs were routinely harvested and I do wonder what checks will be carried out  if everyone is considered as a potential donor.

The imported blood from American prisoners which has given HIV to hundreds of Haemophiliacs which the government has failed to address properly for decades makes me wonder what real safeguards will be in place.

31 minutes ago, KFC said:

The imported blood from American prisoners which has given HIV to hundreds of Haemophiliacs which the government has failed to address properly for decades makes me wonder what real safeguards will be in place.

I didn't know that!!

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I regret not giving consent for my daughters organs, at the time I was too distraught to think, since, i would have liked part of her to live on

I think that would be every parents worse nightmare, i can understand you wanting to help others but fully understand your head would be in bits.

On 07/08/2018 at 19:51, Scully said:

Amazing to see how even someone’s freedom of the right to choose attracts a backlash! ?Unbelievable! 

Totally agree with that.  Velocette simply aired his opinion and all of a sudden he's responsible for the impending deaths of anyone who doesn't receive his organs!  Hats off to those of you that choose to donate, but shame on those who try to emotionally blackmail the people who opt not to donate.  That sort of rhetoric is the thin end of an ugly wedge.

1 hour ago, KB1 said:

Totally agree with that.  Velocette simply aired his opinion and all of a sudden he's responsible for the impending deaths of anyone who doesn't receive his organs!  Hats off to those of you that choose to donate, but shame on those who try to emotionally blackmail the people who opt not to donate.  That sort of rhetoric is the thin end of an ugly wedge.

+1

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

With the shortage of suitable donations then if anything, a mailshot campaign would at least prove how useless paper media is these days.

We’ve a DIY forum? Tell Lloyd to take his sewer talk elsewhere then ?

Did my SLF this morning, will repeat it all again tomorrow depending on the cancellation we might get from the impending storm here in Amsterdam 

Agreed it's a problem, but in my opinion, doesn't excuse the fact the government is taking the right of choice away from people, which I beleive is wrong on many levels.

Sounds good but does it actually work. 

Evidence Does Not Back Up Claims that Opt-Out Organ Donation ...

The Welsh Government published its two-year evaluation of presumed consent on 30 November and the report reveals that presumed consent has not had the desired outcome.

Far from increasing donors by the projected 25 to 30%, the donation rate of resident Welsh donors has actually fallen. The report states that “among Welsh resident donors, the respective quarterly mean averages are 14.6 for the period before the change in the law and 13.4 for the time since then.”

Edited by ordnance

11 hours ago, KB1 said:

And therein lies the rub. To actively disagree with the officially quoted mantra now seems to attract an air that the dissenting individual is somehow flawed and unsound?

2 minutes ago, toontastic said:

I watched an episode of the one show and they were interviewing people about opt out in Wales. One man said he was totally against donating as he didn't believe in it but said if he needed a transplant he would accept a donated organ 

Wonderful double standards!

So a famous football player is in need of a new liver (probably drank too much alcohol) probably high on the list for a transplant would you be happy with him having your partners or siblings ? 

Would the famous footballer apriciate the new life he’s been given and change his lifestyle? 

Or carry on and be dead in a year or two 

The nhs cannot afford the treatment for patients at the moment where will the money and skills come from for more transplant surgery 

20 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

So a famous football player is in need of a new liver (probably drank too much alcohol) probably high on the list for a transplant would you be happy with him having your partners or siblings ? 

Would the famous footballer apriciate the new life he’s been given and change his lifestyle? 

Or carry on and be dead in a year or two 

The nhs cannot afford the treatment for patients at the moment where will the money and skills come from for more transplant surgery 

The NHS are there to make the decisions about who should benefit from any transplant. I would expect them to make that decision.

I would be happy for them to decide what should go and to whom. 

Quality adjusted life years.