opt out organ donation

oowee

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, wascal said:

I don't  like the family veto .

I have always carried a donor card , opted in and made it very clear to my family  that the doctors can take anything they want.

But My sister and her partner have some hippy/religous objections .

I too carry a donor card, many years before Wales became the first to introduce the 'opt out' policy, and all my family know of my wishes. I'm certain that they would not go against them.

just renewed my driving licence online, asked during the process if I wanted to opt in - fine - a perfectly reasonable time to ask, once in ten years on licence renewal. I declined for the moment. Then at the end of the process I was asked again - clearly my choice was not at all respected. That to me is hard sell and I do not like hard sell on principle, it tends to put me off - I suspect that the presumed auto opt in will backfire and many folk who feel the same as I do about choice will opt out which will not achieve the increase in donors that they are looking for. 

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

just renewed my driving licence online, asked during the process if I wanted to opt in - fine - a perfectly reasonable time to ask, once in ten years on licence renewal. I declined for the moment. Then at the end of the process I was asked again - clearly my choice was not at all respected. That to me is hard sell and I do not like hard sell on principle, it tends to put me off - I suspect that the presumed auto opt in will backfire and many folk who feel the same as I do about choice will opt out which will not achieve the increase in donors that they are looking for. 

Exactly, it really is a cheek and unfortunately it will be the little man that looses out.

On 05/08/2018 at 18:52, oowee said:

Everyone in unless you opt out.

Looks like this is heading our way. About time too. 

Quite right IMHO. 

If you've taken the time to fill in and carry a card no one should get a veto over your wishes. Also if you haven't taken a few minutes out of your busy day to opt out that's your fault. I'm sure there will be a well publicised period of it being in operation before its set in stone. If you don't want to share that's fine, but do your bit and opt out. 

I have absolutely no beef with anyone who wants to opt out - whatever the reason is of no concern, it's an individuals choice and that, at the end of the day, is the one thing that no one should take away. But when you die it's over - I cannot understand why people would resist the chance to save some one else's life - it's not going to hurt or make you less of a loss to those that loved you and you will certainly not be treated like a scrap car and simply stripped of your parts - more likely you will be remembered with more respect than by more than those  close to you - the individuals whose life you dramatically change will remember and be grateful to you for the rest of their days - you will become their saviour and they will be reminded of this fact every day that they wake up and enjoy a relatively normal life. No matter which side of the fence you find more attractive I believe that the greatest decider should be, as already mentioned countless times, if you can honestly say that you would refuse a Donor organ if your life depended on it - try 3 years of gradual Kidney failure before you answer , try being scared witless every time you pass blood, try explaining that you cannot take your kids to school or watch them on sports day like their friends dads can - and then explain to them that the future only holds more pain and emotional torture for the whole family. Then decide on your choice.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

I have absolutely no beef with anyone who wants to opt out - whatever the reason is of no concern, it's an individuals choice and that, at the end of the day, is the one thing that no one should take away. But when you die it's over - I cannot understand why people would resist the chance to save some one else's life - it's not going to hurt or make you less of a loss to those that loved you and you will certainly not be treated like a scrap car and simply stripped of your parts - more likely you will be remembered with more respect than by more than those  close to you - the individuals whose life you dramatically change will remember and be grateful to you for the rest of their days - you will become their saviour and they will be reminded of this fact every day that they wake up and enjoy a relatively normal life. No matter which side of the fence you find more attractive I believe that the greatest decider should be, as already mentioned countless times, if you can honestly say that you would refuse a Donor organ if your life depended on it - try 3 years of gradual Kidney failure before you answer , try being scared witless every time you pass blood, try explaining that you cannot take your kids to school or watch them on sports day like their friends dads can - and then explain to them that the future only holds more pain and emotional torture for the whole family. Then decide on your choice.

If you sincerely believe your first sentence then the rest is redundant.

don't have a problem opting out same as opting in you just got to do it      if you pay your car tax direct debit every month it rolls on year after year until you opt out same with all direct debits ets  and yes a lot of people say they would donate organs something comes up and they never get round to it    but if you don't want to donate you will opt out there and then so I fail to see the problem     if any of my organs are good and can help someone they can have them and I can understand others who don't want to donate as its their choice and I don't have a problem either way 

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Not in the slightest Velocette - I have the greatest respect for your good self regardless of our difference of opinion. I honestly believe, however, that if you were in my shoes you would be happy to donate. You would be most welcome to any part of me if you ever needed it.

lol do you have a 12" pecker 3" diameter could I have it as mine is only  2 1/2 " lol?

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Not in the slightest Velocette - I have the greatest respect for your good self regardless of our difference of opinion. I honestly believe, however, that if you were in my shoes you would be happy to donate. You would be most welcome to any part of me if you ever needed it.

Your answer encapsulates exactly some of the variants of choice this issue has raised. Thanks for expressing it so clearly and honestly.