Is no news good news with SGC application?

11 hours ago, Jay1234 said:

Hey tomleecee, where abouts do you live? If your close by il come let you shoot, I'm in Turkey this week then at work the next but free for the week after that 

Hi Jay - that's very kind of you. I live just on the outskirts of Southampton, near to Nursling and Romsey. That anywhere near you? Thanks again - even if you're a million miles away that's a really cool thing to offer, appreciate it :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Tomleecee said:

Hi Jay - that's very kind of you. I live just on the outskirts of Southampton, near to Nursling and Romsey. That anywhere near you? Thanks again - even if you're a million miles away that's a really cool thing to offer, appreciate it

Ahh ok, I'm down in Dover so a bit far but if your ever down this was give us a shout, hope you get your cert soon buddy 

14 minutes ago, Jay1234 said:

Ahh ok, I'm down in Dover so a bit far but if your ever down this was give us a shout, hope you get your cert soon buddy 

Ah - no worries mate, yeah bit of a trek that haha! Still, I appreciate your offer. I should probably put my location in my profile :)

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistake

Post a topic in this section, seeking some clay shooting experience whilst waiting for your SGC

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/forum/38-shootingferretingbeating-wanted/

You may find someone to help and a future shooting partner

Edit - Don't forget to mention the area you are willing to travel

Edited by Newbie to this

I remember when I was a kid, we sent away for these little miniature Spitfire and Hurricane toys from Kellogg's Cornflakes. I think you had to get a certain number of vouchers off the back of the boxes and still pay about £3.99 or something. Anyway, after weeks of getting new boxes of cereal we had enough to send away for them, and every day after school me and my brother would get home to find...no toy planes. This went on for months if I recall. It was unbearable. However, one day after months of waiting, the toys turned up! The reason I bring this up, is that I feel the same way waiting to hear about my SGC now as a 36 year old, as I did as an 8 year old waiting for my toy Spitfire to rock up.

TL;DR - I'm still waiting to hear something.

PS - no idea what happened to those toy planes but apparently they're worth about £20 each on eBay these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, blackbird said:

I would definitely be on the phone to the firearms dep & ask them for a update.

I emailed them yesterday. Got the standard 'your application is with the management' reply. It's beyond the joke. I just wish they would tell me something - anything - about how much longer I'm expected to wait. I don't want to make a nuisance of myself because then I fear they'll just tell me 'no' and be done with it. But what else can I do but wait? I'm not joining BASC before I have an SGC because if I get turned down I'll have paid a membership fee for nothing. It's a pretty rotten situation, almost wish I'd never bothered applying now.

My Autistic son (has Aspergers) has been waiting since 2006!!!

First application in 2006 withdrawn because of an incorrect doctors letter saying he was violent & aggressive, took over 3 years to get a full consultant psychiatrists report saying he wasn't anything of the sort.

Re-applied in 2012, dragged on for months, in 2013 had a 50min interview with a chief inspector who questioned him, couldn't find a fault with his answers but said if he pushed it he'd refuse it because of "adaptive reasoning", couldn't say what that meant but somebody had read the psychiatrists report and thought it might be a problem, no idea who it was, asked if they out-ranked a consultant psychiatrist and couldn't get an answer.  On the way out of the "interview" I asked if he knew there were at least 3 FAC holders I knew who were Autistic?, his reply was "Ah yes, I know who you mean but one of them has a job and another is married"!!!.  Application withdrawn again to prevent him getting a refusal.

Rang them at the beginning of the year, spoke to the ***. manager who said it'd all changed now, things were much better, put it in and she'd sort it out. Applied again in February and Provided a doctors letter, waited 3 months and was then asked for full medical history, they wanted him to pay for it even though the doctors letter clearly says there are no issues.  Took  5 months to eventually get an interview, Risk Manager came out with the FEO, would he like to see some nurses?, should be 2-3 weeks, 2 months later nothing.  Rang the ***. manager over a week ago and she's looking into it.  I've also spoken to another forces firearms department who said they have no problem with Autistic shooters, they do as they are told!!.

He's been shooting since 2006, has held an NRA Shooters Certification Card for about 8 years and is a member of 3 clubs.  All of his clubs provided letters of support for his application, that's 3 people with a combined 100+ years of experience training and monitoring shooters, every one said they had no reservations with him at all.

So, 12 years and still waiting 😞

38 minutes ago, phaedra1106 said:

First application in 2006 withdrawn because of an incorrect doctors letter saying he was violent & aggressive, took over 3 years to get a full consultant psychiatrists report saying he wasn't anything of the sort.

Re-applied in 2012, dragged on for months, in 2013 had a 50min interview with a chief inspector who questioned him, couldn't find a fault with his answers but said if he pushed it he'd refuse it because of "adaptive reasoning", couldn't say what that meant but somebody had read the psychiatrists report and thought it might be a problem, no idea who it was, asked if they out-ranked a consultant psychiatrist and couldn't get an answer.  On the way out of the "interview" I asked if he knew there were at least 3 FAC holders I knew who were Autistic?, his reply was "Ah yes, I know who you mean but one of them has a job and another is married"!!!.  Application withdrawn again to prevent him getting a refusal.

Rang them at the beginning of the year, spoke to the ***. manager who said it'd all changed now, things were much better, put it in and she'd sort it out. Applied again in February and Provided a doctors letter, waited 3 months and was then asked for full medical history, they wanted him to pay for it even though the doctors letter clearly says there are no issues.  Took  5 months to eventually get an interview, Risk Manager came out with the FEO, would he like to see some nurses?, should be 2-3 weeks, 2 months later nothing.  Rang the ***. manager over a week ago and she's looking into it.  I've also spoken to another forces firearms department who said they have no problem with Autistic shooters, they do as they are told!!.

He's been shooting since 2006, has held an NRA Shooters Certification Card for about 8 years and is a member of 3 clubs.  All of his clubs provided letters of support for his application, that's 3 people with a combined 100+ years of experience training and monitoring shooters, every one said they had no reservations with him at all.

Wow, that's really terrible. I can't say I've experienced anything anywhere near as bad as this. I hope there's some resolution some time soon.

2 hours ago, Tomleecee said:

I emailed them yesterday. Got the standard 'your application is with the management' reply. It's beyond the joke. I just wish they would tell me something - anything - about how much longer I'm expected to wait. I don't want to make a nuisance of myself because then I fear they'll just tell me 'no' and be done with it. But what else can I do but wait? I'm not joining BASC before I have an SGC because if I get turned down I'll have paid a membership fee for nothing. It's a pretty rotten situation, almost wish I'd never bothered applying now.

BASC will fight, in court if neccesary, refusal of a certificate by plod, it's part of their insurance package for its members! Unless you are a prohibited person or of "dubious character" of course!

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

BASC will fight, in court if neccesary, refusal of a certificate by plod, it's part of their insurance package for its members! Unless you are a prohibited person or of "dubious character" of course!

I guess I'll find out if I'm prohibited and/or dubious in due course! It was always my intention to join BASC after I got my SGC, but I may look at joining beforehand in any case.

3 hours ago, phaedra1106 said:

Local press?

As said above, unless the caution was for something serious, it will have expired now, off the top of my head, any jail terrm less thna 3 years and suspended sentence for non serious crimes expire after 3 or 5 years under the offenders rehabilitation act, so long as youve notified thwem about it, which you have, just sit tight and wait, it will happed. think mine took 12-14 weeks.....

24 minutes ago, lloydi73 said:

As said above, unless the caution was for something serious, it will have expired now, off the top of my head, any jail terrm less thna 3 years and suspended sentence for non serious crimes expire after 3 or 5 years under the offenders rehabilitation act, so long as youve notified thwem about it, which you have, just sit tight and wait, it will happed. think mine took 12-14 weeks.....

Nothing 'expires' when it come to firearms.
Everything you have ever been arrested, charged , cautioned or convicted of will be considered.