Is no news good news with SGC application?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Not sure if BASC will take up the case if the application was started before you became a member. I'm sure someone else will know for definite.

Don't know for sure, but I would argue that the certificate had/has not been refused prior to the OP's membership application to join BASC! ............So no decision has yet been made on grant or refusal...the application is pending!

20 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Nothing 'expires' when it come to firearms.
Everything you have ever been arrested, charged , cautioned or convicted of will be considered.

Sorry should have clarified, the offence has expired under the rehabilitation act, but yes, you still have to declare it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed again this morning after another week of hearing nothing. Still with the management team, still waiting a decision. It's been nearly 17 weeks now. Should I ring them or will that just rile them up? I just want some indication as to how long I'll be waiting is all.

7 minutes ago, Tomleecee said:

I emailed again this morning after another week of hearing nothing. Still with the management team, still waiting a decision. It's been nearly 17 weeks now. Should I ring them or will that just rile them up? I just want some indication as to how long I'll be waiting is all.

Sit back, relax, wait for it to come.
If there was a problem Im sure you would have heard by now.
Many people have waited far longer, constantly emailing them will definitely not hurry it up.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Sit back, relax, wait for it to come.
If there was a problem Im sure you would have heard by now.
Many people have waited far longer, constantly emailing them will definitely not hurry it up.

Fair one

I sent my application off mid August and the cert arrived 4th week of September. Admittedly, i’d had a SGC a couple of years ago, but still.

Couldn’t be happier with the service i’ve received up here, both with the local police and firearms dept.

Hope you get yours sorted soon!

Edited by humperdingle

21 hours ago, point and shoot said:

Write to the Police and crime commissioner for your area voicing your concerns and disappointment. Should get a result!

Les

After 4 months ?
Its on the FLMs desk, if hes snowed under theres absolutely nothing can be done, he has the final rubber stamp on an app.

The only thing a complaint is going to achieve, is annoy said FLM and cast an impatient tone to the process.

47 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

After 4 months ?
Its on the FLMs desk, if hes snowed under theres absolutely nothing can be done, he has the final rubber stamp on an app.

The only thing a complaint is going to achieve, is annoy said FLM and cast an impatient tone to the process.

Disagree, if your a member of BASC give them a ring and they will give you emails for the complaints procedure,  many don't complain because they are worried  the police may hinder the process further. If not a member of BASC look it up on your police areas website. They are providing a service and the more complaints they get maybe they will do something about it. This worked for me anyhow

4 minutes ago, Redgum said:

Disagree, if your a member of BASC give them a ring and they will give you emails for the complaints procedure,  many don't complain because they are worried  the police may hinder the process further. If not a member of BASC look it up on your police areas website. They are providing a service and the more complaints they get maybe they will do something about it. This worked for me anyhow

The point is , is 4 months an excessive time to wait ?
Many wait far longer.
Plus Im not sure the police are that scared of BASC to move a members app to the top of the pile ?

53 minutes ago, Redgum said:

Exactly this ^^^^^ It's a service you have paid for so expect service. I would ring and tell them you have paid and expect the service to be delivered. They are there to serve. Annoys me no end when we agree to buy at a price and then they do not deliver. Their work load should not be your problem. Last time they delayed me i offered to go in and help out, paper work was turned round within the day. Sure i am down for their next random inspection though :lol:

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

Exactly this ^^^^^ It's a service you have paid for so expect service. I would ring and tell them you have paid and expect the service to be delivered. They are there to serve. Annoys me no end when we agree to buy at a price and then they do not deliver. Their work load should not be your problem. Last time they delayed me i offered to go in and help out, paper work was turned round within the day. Sure i am down for their next random inspection though 

You pay for the police,fire and ambulance service too, if they dont turn up quick enough do you complain to your MP ,who you pay for, and say its not good enough ?
Stood in a queue at the supermarket?  Not good enough , I shop here all the time, get me to the front NOW !

Are you seriously expecting BASC to rush you through the process, because its not as fast as you would like ?

Besides the fact the OP isnt even in BASC anyway, its not really going to help by putting in complaints at 4 months, there may be an issue with the app.
At 6 months I would be getting my bum into gear, but given times are around avg 6 months anyway.

On 25/09/2018 at 18:16, wyn said:

This study from BASC last year shows Hampshire take an average of 183 days (6 months) to grant a SGC.

55 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You pay for the police,fire and ambulance service too, if they dont turn up quick enough do you complain to your MP ,who you pay for, and say its not good enough ?
Stood in a queue at the supermarket?  Not good enough , I shop here all the time, get me to the front NOW !

Are you seriously expecting BASC to rush you through the process, because its not as fast as you would like ?

Besides the fact the OP isnt even in BASC anyway, its not really going to help by putting in complaints at 4 months, there may be an issue with the app.
At 6 months I would be getting my bum into gear, but given times are around avg 6 months anyway.

I don't pay directly for the other services you mention other than through general taxation. I do pay a fee directly to the police for the processing of my application. 

I was referring to the complaints element of the response rather than the BASC part. 

Edited by oowee

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I don't pay directly for the other services you mention other than through general taxation. I do pay a fee directly to the police for the processing of my application. 

I was referring to the complaints element of the response rather than the BASC part. 

I appreciate that, but in the absence of a time frame for app turnaround, what is there to complain about ?

If FL gave an estimate of turnaround of 3 months and it's now 4, perhaps you would have call to complain ?

My area is a slow turnaround due to low staffing, and you are told straight not to expect a grant back for 3 months , possibly longer. Once all checks ect are done ,it's all down to the FLM who will work through the 'pile' and no amount of complaining is going to make that pile smaller. 

Does the Firearms licensing have to be done by the police ? Should the government look at a cheaper more affordable way of licensing gun ownership every FLO I have dealt with has been a retired police officer who is on a bloody good pension from the police & has gone back part time & belive me the money is good. Maybe it’s time to get a private company to run it more affordabley/efficiently.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Does the Firearms licensing have to be done by the police ? Should the government look at a cheaper more affordable way of licensing gun ownership every FLO I have dealt with has been a retired police officer who is on a bloody good pension from the police & has gone back part time & belive me the money is good. Maybe it’s time to get a private company to run it more affordabley/efficiently.

Lincolnshire tried that, now we've got g4s running it. 

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Yep! I can see the empire building CC's/PCC's loosening their grip on a lucrative revenue stream, and giving up control of a department, which it appears is accountable to no one? Makes up its own rules, as it goes along, and draws in the same amount of cash irrespective of the standard and quality of service it provides.............and which, as a bonus, creates lucrative, post retirement jobs for ex employees!

Cynical? You bet I am!

I think many of us forget as priorities for Chief Constables and Crime Commisioners our certificate applicatIons are right down the list.  It’s not going to get better, and will probably get worse. Even a massive cash injection into Policing, which isn’t going to happen, wouldn’t change things. The system does need changing, but we have to work with what we have at the moment.  My own opinion is that no news in this case, is good news.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm not going to complain - I know the police are stretched and they have much better things to be doing than sorting out my SGC. Plus, the administrator I spoke with via email was courteous and I know they're snowed under/under staffed. Was just venting is all. Just got to sit it out I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard from the police this morning. Apparently it'll be at least another month before my application is even looked at. On the one hand at least that gives some sort of time frame (though, I'll eat my hat if I hear anything within another 6 months).

On the other, perhaps I should look at other hobbies to get involved with and give up on the clay shooting for now. Having instruction is so expensive it's not really viable as a regular pastime. Really, I'm not surprised so few people bother trying to get into shooting when there's such a huge obstacle in the way.