Is no news good news with SGC application?

Hi all, I'm currently well into the process of applying for my first SGC for clay shooting. Done a fair bit of shooting but decided I want my own gun instead of using the ones from the ranges. Anyway, I've had an interview with the FEO and had the cabinet inspected etc. That was a couple of weeks ago now. I know all about waiting times and I'm not impatient (I realise it takes time), but here's my question - if I was to be refused for whatever reason (I do have a caution from 2001, which I was open about) would the police still make me wait months before telling me my application was unsuccessful? Or would they just straight up tell me it was a 'no'? I can't imagine it would be in anyone's best interest to drag out an application process; do all the checks etc. and have an applicant wait for months if they knew they were going to just turn them down. Hopefully my question that makes sense! Any thoughts or personal experiences welcome. Thanks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think unless you declared a jail term for armed robbery or your caution was for bomb making or similar, they just go in a pile with the rest and you wait your turn. That's what I've been led to believe anyhow. 

I'm assuming you accepted the caution, but I wouldn't worry unduly. There are some on here with worse than a caution. 

Cheers both for your replies. Yes, the caution was something ridiculous (kicked a coke machine because it took my money and got caught on camera doing it, so I couldn't really deny it. I felt justified as a poor student - could've used that 50p on some instant noodles instead of a luxury like a can of coke). No bomb making or armed robbery or anything that exotic, fortunately! However, if the can machine incident denies me a SGC, I will consider myself a hardened criminal and get several tattoos to prove it XD

If memory serves me right I think it has to be a custodial sentence over a certain time period. It is always wise to inform them of any convictions including speeding . It can take a bit of time after the inspection for the paperwork to catch up.

Thanks for your reply Esca

As a follow up question to the original, if I am successful, what happens next? Does the certificate literally just show up in the post in an envelope, or is there another action I need to take? Thanks again for any replies.

I would wait another week or two - I think six weeks is the norm to process a shotgun application for most forces - and then I would phone your local Firearms Licencing office. In my experience they're generally friendly and keen to help. You could explain that you've been offered a gun and so need to know if your certificate is going to be granted and when.

48 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Mine just came through the post, but I have had friends have them hand delivered by the FEO because he was in the area.

Sounds like you have nothing to worry about. I take it your caution wasn't discussed during the interview?

Newbie to this - yes we discussed it in the interview and the FEO basically smirked when I explained what had happened.

Thanks panoma1 and Jimiles for your replies.

5 minutes ago, Tomleecee said:

Newbie to this - yes we discussed it in the interview and the FEO basically smirked when I explained what had happened.

Thanks panoma1 and Jimiles for your replies.

I'd say if there was a problem he would have said there and then. :good:

Mine took about 4 weeks to come through the post.

8 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I'd say if there was a problem he would have said there and then. :good:

Mine took about 4 weeks to come through the post.

Cheers, fingers crossed it turns up soon then and the money burning a hole in my pocket can go on a shiny gun!

If it doesnt come after 4-6 weeks a polite phone call may help

Mine too about 6 months after the interview (i was too polite to just phone up and ask) and when i did it turned out the FEO was still waiting for the doctors to send the form 

When i heard that i wished i had phoned months earlier !!! it was sorted sonn after that

So you attacked and innocent coke machine eh ????, all I can say is that it's a shame that we've done away with hanging ?.

Everyone worries that they'll be refused , I still worry with each renewal lol, your ticket will be here soon enough and it'll feel like you've just passed your driving test and won the lottery ?.

Haha - yes mel b3, that machine had it coming! In other news, I emailed the firearms dept. yesterday and they said it probably won't be with me within 12 weeks. Quite disappointing as I thought it'd be good to do some shooting while the nice weather lasts...but what can you do eh? Cheers all.

1 hour ago, Tomleecee said:

Haha - yes mel b3, that machine had it coming! In other news, I emailed the firearms dept. yesterday and they said it probably won't be with me within 12 weeks. Quite disappointing as I thought it'd be good to do some shooting while the nice weather lasts...but what can you do eh? Cheers all.

Do you not have someone who could take you out for a day or two on the clays. As long as the ground are informed and agree I can't see a problem. My local ground allow people without SGC to shoot when accompanied by someone who does.

16 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Do you not have someone who could take you out for a day or two on the clays. As long as the ground are informed and agree I can't see a problem. My local ground allow people without SGC to shoot when accompanied by someone who does.

Most clay grounds have a dispensation to allow accompanied shooters without a SGC to shoot (is it called section 11?)

Thanks for the information. I don't really know many people where I live to be honest, let alone somebody with an SGC. I usually go on my own and have been paying to have lessons with an instructor but it gets expensive when you add up the costs. I'll put an advert in the back of the paper: "Seeking a friend. Must have a valid SGC" haha!

6 hours ago, Tomleecee said:

Thanks for the information. I don't really know many people where I live to be honest, let alone somebody with an SGC. I usually go on my own and have been paying to have lessons with an instructor but it gets expensive when you add up the costs. I'll put an advert in the back of the paper: "Seeking a friend. Must have a valid SGC" haha!

No paper needed place your add here https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/forum/38-shootingferretingbeating-wanted/

Edited by martyn2233

1 hour ago, Tomleecee said:

Getting home from work and eagerly looking in the post box to find nothing is starting to grate...!

I've been there, these past 2 months have felt like the longest of my life!

My fac turned up on Saturday along with sgc renewal and my European fac. I gave them a call last Thursday to check progress and low and behold it arrived 2 days later. Perhaps the squeaky wheel gets the oil, perhaps a call may get your paperwork shuffled to the top of the pile? Either way, you will feel like you are doing something constructive.

1 hour ago, Sussex gardener said:

I've been there, these past 2 months have felt like the longest of my life!

My fac turned up on Saturday along with sgc renewal and my European fac. I gave them a call last Thursday to check progress and low and behold it arrived 2 days later. Perhaps the squeaky wheel gets the oil, perhaps a call may get your paperwork shuffled to the top of the pile? Either way, you will feel like you are doing something constructive.

That's good to hear Sussex gardener - glad you got it sorted. I try to forget about it, but every few days I get impatient again. I've emailed a few times but they just say they've got a lot on, which I don't doubt. Was just grumbling out loud...