Deer Poaching

old'un

We have often found dead and discarded Roe which have obviously been poached on land we have the sole rights to shoot over, regardless of sex or seasons. Amongst others, I have photo's of a young buck with all four limbs missing, clearly removed with a sharp tool. We never could think of a reason why. I know some folk use to use the lower legs to turn into riding crops etc, but why leave all that meat? Others we've found just shot and abandoned in woods. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

We have often found dead and discarded Roe which have obviously been poached on land we have the sole rights to shoot over, regardless of sex or seasons. Amongst others, I have photo's of a young buck with all four limbs missing, clearly removed with a sharp tool. We never could think of a reason why. I know some folk use to use the lower legs to turn into riding crops etc, but why leave all that meat? Others we've found just shot and abandoned in woods. 

The point is, if these are legally held guns what type of person/s are they, knowing the law and what the consequences would be if caught, if they are illegally held where the hell do they acquire such guns and ammo?

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

The point is, if these are legally held guns what type of person/s are they, knowing the law and what the consequences would be if caught, if they are illegally held where the hell do they acquire such guns and ammo?

It's easy to ascertain what type of person they are, regardless of whether any firearms used are legally held or not, but we don't know the circumstances. The gun(?) in the matter of your headline, could be legally held by an adjacent landowner who has taken matters into his own hands after repeated claims of damage to his trees, property whatever, has been ignored. They could have been shotgunned down a lamp. As you stated in your initial post, 'there are no reports as yet, what they were shot with'. No doubt time will tell, and those responsible will be known. 

I saw the video the blokes put on Facebook when they found them. They were rifle shot, although you can’t see it on many there are definite entry wounds on a couple that have a little bit of leakage but not enough to be an exit hole. I’d imagine it was something fast and punchy. 243 with ballistic tips maybe. They reckon they’ve retrieved bullets to do ballistic tests on but that could be a little bit of a white lie, and definitely will be a lie if it was ballistic tips because there isn’t a lot left of them to look at! My best guess is they’ve upset someone and they’ve gone and retaliated by shooting 15 deer, mainly female which will hurt the stalking there for a few years.

If of the 15, 10 were breeding females, that’s 10 fawns gone next season and that will grow exponentially. In perfect conditions with everything having a female fawn that’s 240 deer in 5 years which is fair old dent!

Its disgusting behaviour and I hope they’re caught. I’d be lucky to see 15 deer about here at the minute!

It definitely sounds like a grudge, if not you have to worry about what sort of person who owns a fire arms acts like that. 

On my permission We have had trouble with poachers which is why we try and keep hare numbers down. But even that is explainable . 

Slaughtering 15 deer is just bizarre .

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

I dont know of any Deer that stands around after 2 possibly 3 shots never mind 15 unless there a a couple of shooters maybe 3 or 4 guns night vision or not 

Rubbish when culling Fallow ( in season and daylight ) I've lost count the amount of times I've shot 6-7 best being 11 .

Appalling behaviour from whoever left those Deer

I was thinking more than one shooter, even then they have to be pretty smart, although nigh vision would help as the deer would not know where the danger lay if mods where also used.

Used to get a spate of deer poaching down near Hereford and probably still occurs but they took one at a time on our patch ...three vehicles ..spotter...shooter ...carcase collector.

Cheeky #####s gralloched one right in the farm drive one night. But this instance is weird.

There is no reason for that sort of behavior it just is nonsensical. The only answer is someone has a gun and a boat load of issues; entirely pointless unethical and a complete waste.

On a shoot i was on for a bit we used to find injured deer from someone poaching with a crossbow, and occasionally would find crossbow bolts in tree's.

I did some work experience down south in my teens on a shooting estate in Hampshire, the estate sold venison at a farm shop, and i helped butcher two of the deer, we picked out air rifle pellets from the spine and ribs of both deer that day; the keeper said the temptation was too much for some people, they could pull up near a clearing on one of the little estate roads and take pot shots, I presume they managed to drop one at some point and kept coming back to try.

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Rubbish when culling Fallow ( in season and daylight ) I've lost count the amount of times I've shot 6-7 best being 11 .

Appalling behaviour from whoever left those Deer

i have shot that many Deer i have forgot how many only in a Deer park will they stand around i have rifles with moderators on and they not as quiet as you think they are especially at night where there is no back ground noise 

36 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

i have shot that many Deer i have forgot how many only in a Deer park will they stand around i have rifles with moderators on and they not as quiet as you think they are especially at night where there is no back ground noise 

Was not an not looking for a Bun fight I'm better than you.

I've only been Stalking for 40+ years and the Fallow i shoot are all wild free ranging . Park culling Red which I've had to i found the opposite as they quickly wise up and bunch together. Also I'm fully aware how sound moderators work again using various calibre's Foxing at night.

13 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Was not an not looking for a Bun fight I'm better than you.

I've only been Stalking for 40+ years and the Fallow i shoot are all wild free ranging . Park culling Red which I've had to i found the opposite as they quickly wise up and bunch together. Also I'm fully aware how sound moderators work again using various calibre's Foxing at night.

only trying to make a point that i cant see a bunch of 15 Fallow waiting around after as you say you have shot up to 7 at one standing they will flee especially at night  

I've shot double figures of wild Fallow in one sitting on a couple of occasions, it's perfectly doable. 

Also it may have been more than one rifle.

Don't forget that at this time of year those fawns will have been glued to the does, they probably decked the adults then mopped up the young after. 

The heads, limbs and innards of three fallow deer have been found in a country lane about a mile away from the farmland near Kinlet, Bewdley, They were found on Monday morning by a local land tenant, all 15 deer were shot with a rifle/s and its believed to be the same gang of poachers.

I think that more than one person/rifle was involved/used and its possible they intended to remove the rest of the deer but were possibly disturbed and did not return for the remaining deer.