Shooting game with open chokes

chrisp

Ive seen a gun localy ,A very nice looking winchester grand european ,the only problem i can see is it is choked skeet + skeet

The gun would be used for game (nothing too high or too challenging) and the odd day on sporting clays

I realy like the gun and they dont come up very often local and at this price and i can see me keeping it long term

So my question is would the gun be suitable with those chokes ? perhaps if i found the right cartridge

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use cylinder and 3/8s (beretta light modified) in my game gun so no reason why you cannot shoot game with it.

Indeed make sure you use a load that is quick enough to have enough terminal energy when you hit your quarry (as the pattern will be wider) and know your limitations when selecting which birds to leave and which to take. 

Other than that, if it’s gun you enjoy owning and can shoot with, there is no reason why it cannot be a very successful game gun. 

IMHO

oh and BTW those early Wnchesters were as a sweet as..... I had a 101 and loved it! 

Edited by The Burpster
Forgot a bit

40 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

32g of 6's will give you a great pattern, and you'll be surprised how much stuff you fold up stone dead.

....and this. A friend of mine has an old battered 101 choked skeet and skeet; he uses it throughout the game season and has done so for as long as I've known him. He doesn't shoot anything he can't eat, and not much gets away. 

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

32g of 6's will give you a great pattern, and you'll be surprised how much stuff you fold up stone dead.

Yep, plus many - if not all -  of the other posts. However, even if your particul;ar barrels don't quite perform as anticipated in the quoted or  those other posts, it's odds on that the reason is the lack of patten density and not lack of energy, so dropping down to the good old 6&1/2 shot (2.5mm in funny money) will correct that.

My ancient Army and Navy hammer gun is devoid of any degree of choke.    It is my gun of choice for walked up game and  pigeon decoying and I never shoot anything heavier than 28g. Not only does that load do the job for me but I am always happy to take birds I have shot myself knowing they will not be destroyed and inedible through being overshot with tight chokes and heavy loads.

Blackpowder 

I have shot cylinder and cylinder for 40 years through my SxS  - driven, walked up, duck flighting, pigeon shooting all to great effect.

Just go and shoot with it, try and forget all about choke. I find it incredible the amount of people who get hung up on the choke issue.

You may have to experiment with cartridges to find the one that your gun likes  - mines likes Eley VIPs 28g 6 Fibres.

in short absolutely nothing to worry about going skeet and skeet

I often shoot Improved and quarter ....... because that is what my gun has - and I don't (in normal 'farm' shoot circumstances) want for choke.  I am quite happy with open chokes, but my shooting is at very 'normal' ranges.  Tight chokes are not needed at these ranges.

Edited by JohnfromUK

8 minutes ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Improved and Quarter for me too, although I'm considering changing to Cylinder and Improved for next season, I used 30gm 7's or 6's last year, Essex Pheasants aren't the mosting testing and I like to give myself as much chance as possible.

If you're all at 6s and 7s, try 6&1/2s. :innocent::good:

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

i seem to remember there was a 6 & 1/2 cartridge  in the 1970/80s ????

They're still out there, but many are described as 7s. You may well be thinking of the Rottweil range and in particular the Game 32 or the Specials. If I was the age now as I was back then I'd still be using them but I'm afraid now I need something lighter in the 6 lb + a tad gun.

I regularly shoot with percussion guns and hammer guns with no choke and with good quality loads/cartridges kill at sensible ranges no problem. My daughter shoots a silver pigeon with cylinder in both and also kills no problem. I would not be put off if you like the gun and it fits.

Pattern test it with different cartridges and see what gives best result. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

They're still out there, but many are described as 7s. You may well be thinking of the Rottweil range and in particular the Game 32 or the Specials. If I was the age now as I was back then I'd still be using them but I'm afraid now I need something lighter in the 6 lb + a tad gun.

hello, i am sure it was Sellier and Bellot