Shooting game with open chokes

chrisp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:39, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am sure it was Sellier and Bellot

Was that the 'Practice load' it was in a dark burgundy paper case with a rolled turnover? I shot 2 woodcock with those, it would have been a left & right, but the gun left my shoulder and had just ejected the right barrel before closing the gun ( with only a cartridge in the left barrel ) and dropped the second bird. That is the only time I my life that 2 woodcock came out close enough for a left & right. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was using my Arthur Howell 25" bored Improved Cylinder and 1/4. That was nearly 30 years ago!

10 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Was that the 'Practice load' it was in a dark burgundy paper case with a rolled turnover? I shot 2 woodcock with those, it would have been a left & right, but the gun left my shoulder and had just ejected the right barrel before closing the gun ( with only a cartridge in the left barrel ) and dropped the second bird. That is the only time I my life that 2 woodcock came out close enough for a left & right. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was using my Arthur Howell 25" bored Improved Cylinder and 1/4. That was nearly 30 years ago!

hello, sorry i cannot remember, it was around the time that Oxford still had a gun shop called Venables, the gunsmith  Hans was from Czechoslovakia, and there was a clay pigeon club so i used S and B and baikels for any shooting, i fact we all used these cheap foreigners

Guest cookoff013
On 06/08/2018 at 10:33, chrisp said:

Ive seen a gun localy ,A very nice looking winchester grand european ,the only problem i can see is it is choked skeet + skeet

The gun would be used for game (nothing too high or too challenging) and the odd day on sporting clays

I realy like the gun and they dont come up very often local and at this price and i can see me keeping it long term

So my question is would the gun be suitable with those chokes ? perhaps if i found the right cartridge

Thanks

is it fixed choke? skeet gun?
saying that, the tinyest amount of choke can do wonders, (meaning a good pattern increase, from minimal choking).

common sense says to just pattern in with a couple of cartridges. then go do whatever you want / whats best.

in my experience with making subsonics / gameshells where shotsize is increased to improve terminal peformance of slow loads , choking does nothing. i got full patterns out of every choke.

-what i`m trying to tell you, buy and test nice shell that is suitable.

Its a fixed choke skeet gun with 28" barrels

I asked the question as the gun isnt cheap but im looking to spend money on a gun to keep long term possibly for life and dont want to buy it only to find its not suitable and have to sell it

I'm pretty sure that Gunman's post was, shall we say, light hearted.

From what you're saying, any concerns about choke would be at the bottom of my priorities. Condition, fit - or the ability to be economically fitted, sufficient availabl;e working knowledge for any repair work borne out of its heritage and, quite simply, does one like it (must say that to me it sounds that this is very much the case here) rate far more highly. If all those points come up to scratch, then I'd go for it. However, I'd do things a little differently. As virtually everyone has said what choke you've got is good for the uses you describe. But you've got a gun which may not suit everything that you mighht like to do. There is of course no such gun but you can come close and I'm sure you've heard about the man who only has one gun. If it were me - and I've recently put my money........... - and all as above is well, I'd speak to Teague and have two chokes pemanently fitted. Fortunately, as the way things are going this is increasingly heading in the direction that you wish to go. Historically, more often than not cartridges were tested so that the Gun could get the tightest pattern he could from the choke the gun was fitted with. Currently, this is getting more and more difficult to achieve; the opposite and that which you require is getting easier. Consequently I'd have some tighter chokes fitted for use when required - longer range clays or stretching after pigeon perhaps - and then simply -  easily now - find the cartridge that suit your needs as described. I've been doing it this way for over 50 years and it's only just recently that attempting to tighten up has become a problem.

Shot for many years with a true skeet over and under. 

Never had any problems on pheasants, partridge, ducks, geese or just about anything I else that went over it. 

Dont let the chokes put you off buying the gun, if it fits you will get in fine. 

If you do buy it please update the thread later in the season and dispel any myths about chokes! 

Went up to edinburgh last night to view the gun ,it was even better in the flesh than in pics so safe to say i cam home with it

The guy ed i bought it from is an rfd and hes opening a shop very shortly ,check out his website  (edinburgh rifles and sporting goods)

014-1-300x225.jpg

015-1-300x225.jpg

017-1-300x225.jpg

016-1-300x225.jpg

IMG-20180806-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180806-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180806-WA0014.jpg

On 16/08/2018 at 10:19, chrisp said:

Went up to edinburgh last night to view the gun ,it was even better in the flesh than in pics so safe to say i cam home with it

The guy ed i bought it from is an rfd and hes opening a shop very shortly ,check out his website  (edinburgh rifles and sporting goods)

014-1-300x225.jpg

015-1-300x225.jpg

017-1-300x225.jpg

016-1-300x225.jpg

IMG-20180806-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180806-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180806-WA0014.jpg

That is lush:good: