Iconic fowling guns.

holloway

On 06/08/2018 at 18:45, panoma1 said:

1880/90's, J&W Tolley, 8 bore, double hammer gun, 34" laminated steel barrels, 3 1/4" chambers, 14 1/2lbs, Jones u/l...now eats 2 1/2ozs of Bismuth and/or 2 1/4ozs of ITM....iconic foreshore goose gun!

Fan , I had a Tolley 8 bore bought it in Perth 1982 from Mallochs , paid the enormous sum of £1050 for it . Sold it to my old mate from Northumberland ( he’s 82 now and still fowls ) he called me 7 weeks ago “ wanna buy the 8 back “ ..... deal is done for exactly what I paid for it plus £150 for 30 loaded brass cases ....... now that’s a friend ....... and a very true story . ( he’s up on the first shooting inland with me ) 

2 hours ago, Salmo said:

Fan , I had a Tolley 8 bore bought it in Perth 1982 from Mallochs , paid the enormous sum of £1050 for it . Sold it to my old mate from Northumberland ( he’s 82 now and still fowls ) he called me 7 weeks ago “ wanna buy the 8 back “ ..... deal is done for exactly what I paid for it plus £150 for 30 loaded brass cases ....... now that’s a friend ....... and a very true story . ( he’s up on the first shooting inland with me ) 

A true friend, they are rare !

On 11/08/2018 at 09:59, holloway said:

Any modern semis getting to icon standard apart from the oldies we have heard about ?

When we get too modern the thin line between competent and iconic starts to get blurred, i do feel  the SBE 1s are starting to gain a little ground in this respect but in semis the Ithaca Mag ten from the 1970s and the Remington SP10 derivative have maintained a constant folowing and with Remington discontinuing the SP10 its steadily growing in status as we speak. Put it this way the slowing down of some spares availability for SP10 has not taken the edge of prices one bit. So i think the SP10 as to be considered.

Another semi auto that is unique and i think will grow in popularity with time is the Masberg 935 the fact it has a ten bore barrel is taking back boring that little bit further and any advantages it may or not have aside , it is different and this might just help it gain a toe hold in the history books at some point.

In bang up to date semis the Remington versamax might gain some ground eventualy its versa port system is unique in civilan hunting gun circles and although its not set the world on fire with sales its different and works and this is where i think the future icons could come from myself  Just my opinion  of course.   

11 minutes ago, Fen tiger said:

When we get too modern the thin line between competent and iconic starts to get blurred, i do feel  the SBE 1s are starting to gain a little ground in this respect but in semis the Ithaca Mag ten from the 1970s and the Remington SP10 derivative have maintained a constant folowing and with Remington discontinuing the SP10 its steadily growing in status as we speak. Put it this way the slowing down of some spares availability for SP10 has not taken the edge of prices one bit. So i think the SP10 as to be considered.

Another semi auto that is unique and i think will grow in popularity with time is the Masberg 935 the fact it has a ten bore barrel is taking back boring that little bit further and any advantages it may or not have aside , it is different and this might just help it gain a toe hold in the history books at some point.

In bang up to date semis the Remington versamax might gain some ground eventualy its versa port system is unique in civilan hunting gun circles and although its not set the world on fire with sales its different and works and this is where i think the future icons could come from myself  Just my opinion  of course.   

I’d have said the xtrema 2 has a fairly cult following but I’d never put any of these modern semi autos in the same bracket as some of the classic guns on here.

On 10/08/2018 at 21:00, moongeese said:

8- Bore  Double Barrel by J.&.W. Tolley, 36" barrels  4.1/4" chambers , weight 16lbs., shoots a full 3 oz load, but does well with 2.1/2 oz no 1.  

Can I ask what you put trough it when you’re not using lead? I’d love to have a go at some geese with an 8 bore some day, purely for nostalgia.

many years go a friend from the midlands had a single eight with a four bore barrel took it to Scotland could not remember what he loaded in the four bore brass  cases and being a brick outhouse I volunteered to carry it as he was getting on a bit     got to said spot he then did not want to shoot it so he had my 12 bore 3.5"  and when the geese came  I let rip he said my shoulder blades touched and with four pinks in the bag I was 6" 3 before and  after the shot 5" 9 dam I have shot many things in my life but have never been kicked so hard lol 

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:59, wildfowler.250 said:

I’d have said the xtrema 2 has a fairly cult following but I’d never put any of these modern semi autos in the same bracket as some of the classic guns on here.

Can I ask what you put trough it when you’re not using lead? I’d love to have a go at some geese with an 8 bore some day, purely for nostalgia.

When not using lead, I use ITM.

On 11/08/2018 at 06:20, Salmo said:

A friend here was recently given a Tolly sbs 8 bore, a rusty attic find, to be scrapped,  he has just had it restored, looking forward to handling it,  and hoping to be of help with re-loading tips, [i re-load for my 10g sbs]

Been using a Browning B425 Special Waterfowl for the last 10 years, bought s/h for £600 in vgc, it's in "well used" condition now!. Used it for everything from clays to pigeon to walked-up game, fresh marsh flighting, and geese and ducks beyond the sea wall. Never had a misfire or any other problems, only criticism is the blueing on the barrels (mine's the non-camo version) only have to get a breath of salt air to start rusting. 

Iconic? Perhaps time will tell. Seems to have held it's value, if not increased in value looking at recent prices.

Because of the surface rusting problem was using WD40 to protect before setting out, but my local gun dealer said not to use as penetrates into the brazing holding barrel parts together, he'd just had a Perazzi in which had separated along the rib, and he'd seen other problems had attributed to use of the stuff . I suppose it is a "penetrating oil", he wasn't just trying to flog me an expensive alternative (I don't think!).

Edited by Diabolo
grammer

22 hours ago, islandgun said:

A friend here was recently given a Tolly sbs 8 bore, a rusty attic find, to be scrapped,  he has just had it restored, looking forward to handling it,  and hoping to be of help with re-loading tips, [i re-load for my 10g sbs]

Saw this gun before he picked it up, superb hammerless double Tolley. I loaded the cartridges for him, and hope he keeps me informed how it shoots.

32 minutes ago, moongeese said:

Saw this gun before he picked it up, superb hammerless double Tolley. I loaded the cartridges for him, and hope he keeps me informed how it shoots.

Ive yet to see it, just photos, looks fantastic, I will go up next week for some ammo and check it out..

10 minutes ago, Charlie Anderson said:

Having tried a Winchester pump, mossberg 935 semi, a Lincoln o/u and various hatsan the most realiable I have found despite its price was a hatsan. Hardly an icon but then I want something I can shower down and use the next day regardless of whether I fell in the mud like a muppet.

I rate the Hatsans.

I think it’s like bad whisky the more you consume the better it gets. 

Being able to strip the thing down to its bare bones and clean them properly I think helps but I would love a Benelli but for 5 days a year it’s a lot of gun sitting in the cabinet. I appreciate I could take it pigeon shooting but budgets  don’t allow for it.