Lazy Sunday afternoon

motty

I headed out yesterday afternoon to look for some pigeons to shoot. I went to one farm in particular. I had four rape fields to choose from. I think I chose the right one, but who knows. I turned up at around midday. After putting well over 200 birds off the field and more from the surrounding trees, I wish I had been there sooner. Jules was invited, but didn't attend. I don't necessarily blame him, as it was hot again.

I phoned the farmer to ask a couple of questions. He told me that the field was cut at the beginning of the week and he was sure that no-one had shot there. Good enough for me.

I decided to set up in a little dry ditch on one side of the field. I had 360 degrees to shoot, which is how I like it. I started off with 30 static decoys and the magnet to my right. The pigeons didn't play ball to start with. I had a few decoy, which gave me the opportunity to put out and flapper and a few on bouncer cradles. This didn't appear to help too much, though. The birds were 100% set on the field, just not necessarily where I wanted them. They did lift off from their original positions and make their way back to me on several occasions. This was not normal behaviour.

I thought that 50 would be on the cards, but it livened up a bit as the afternoon wore on. I started getting a few youngsters visiting. They did decoy well and I decided not to spare them. If they had had accompanying adults, I might have felt differently.

I got a nice triple getting on for last orders. It was most welcome, as I had not had the chance for many doubles. Better still, a couple of minutes later, I had another three pigeons come in. Before I had decided which to shoot first, they had all landed, and all in the space of a 12" circle, 30 yards out. Guess what I did next...   Yep, I tried to shoot all of them with a single shot. I failed, but one flew off to be cut down with my second shot.

I decided to pack up not long after that, and considering my ice cold blackcurrant drink had now gone, I was fairly happy. The tally was 107.

WP_20180805_0011_zpsv8i4hxlz.jpg

WP_20180805_0031_zpsawjryhw9.jpg

WP_20180805_0041_zpshgf4nf2p.jpg

Great report and you stuck at it and reaped the benefits of good fieldcraft, when I was in the UK I would take the three flasks of coffee and a frozen two litres of squash and still run out. It's interesting that they would not decoy, was it the static decoys or the magnet? 

Also you need to get Jules to show you how to lay out the decoys as I could only count 106!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Great report and you stuck at it and reaped the benefits of good fieldcraft, when I was in the UK I would take the three flasks of coffee and a frozen two litres of squash and still run out. It's interesting that they would not decoy, was it the static decoys or the magnet? 

Also you need to get Jules to show you how to lay out the decoys as I could only count 106!!!!!!!

I don't know why they didn't decoy as I would have liked. I didn't tinker too much with the set up as I was getting enough sport to keep me busy, plus I couldn't be bothered to keep getting up.

Yes, I will make more effort to make the bag presentable next time!

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:55, pigeon controller said:

you still drink hot coffee in this weather