Old (non high vis) blank pistols

Lloyd90

Up my mates house this evening and he goes “I’ve an old blank firing pistol you could use” and goes off to his shed to produce a 22 blank revolver that’s all black. 

Now he bought it in 1980 so believe he is fine to keep it, although I told him I’m not sure if legal or not. 

Also would it be legal for me to use for training my dog or not? 

I’m not buying it as he wants it back when dogs past the blank firer stage. 

12 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Up my mates house this evening and he goes “I’ve an old blank firing pistol you could use” and goes off to his shed to produce a 22 blank revolver that’s all black. 

Now he bought it in 1980 so believe he is fine to keep it, although I told him I’m not sure if legal or not. 

Also would it be legal for me to use for training my dog or not? 

I’m not buying it as he wants it back when dogs past the blank firer stage. 

New blank firers are painted Orange. I think it's okay for you to use it though, as it's an 'old' model. You could ask your FEO just to make sure though.

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Be mindful that the starter pistol even using  .22 short blanks is a loud bang don't be in a hurry to introduce the pup to it. Some people even use long blanks but there's no point stick with the shorts 

I’m not planning on using it for absolute ages mate, just my mate remembered he had one as I’ve got a pup recently. 

Atm all I’m doing is clapping my hands etc 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Seems to quote only for sales... no mention of lending one ? one could assume that means it’s ok lol 

That's the "make available" bit, I believe. It doesn't appear that the defences include use for dog training, so you might be on slightly iffy ground there.

VCRA is a horrible mess of legislation, with which I have to deal when loaning out stage weaponry. My FEO wasn't much help when I asked, as it isn't strictly firearms law.

Edited by CaptainBeaky
Spelling

1 hour ago, CaptainBeaky said:

That's the "make available" bit, I believe. It doesn't appear that the defences include use for dog training, so you might be on slightly iffy ground there.

VCRA is a horrible mess of legislation, with which I have to deal when loaning out stage weaponry. My FEO wasn't much help when I asked, as it isn't strictly firearms law.

I might just spray the bloody think orange just to be safe. 

26 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Just make sure it's not an olympic 22 starter pistol as these are banned.

It was the Olympic .380 that was banned, I handed in two of them. They were deemed to be too easy to convert. I replaced them with a legal, orange, Olympic. 22