Fishing Knife

stut4

Quick question about knife laws. 

i've historically kept a 4.25" hunting knife at the bottom of my fishing tackle box for dealing with preparing with mackerel when fishing.

i also have a small 2" lock knife for other small jobs.

i'm about to go to france in 2 weeks and wondered what the score was. will be fishing on the west coast. will i get into trouble if its found, or as its a tool for use in hunting/fishing, will that fit the exemption? it would stay in the tackle box until needed. am i best just to take the small knife and take a kitchen knife from the french house to the beach when i need it?

How attached are you to this particular knife? If it's a well loved item that you'd be sad to lose, I'd say it's not worth it, even if legal. All it would take is one overzealous guard and you've lost it. If it were me, I'd take the smaller one, then buy a cheap filleting knife over there if you can't get one from the kitchen.

Just now, chrisjpainter said:

How attached are you to this particular knife? If it's a well loved item that you'd be sad to lose, I'd say it's not worth it, even if legal. All it would take is one overzealous guard and you've lost it. If it were me, I'd take the smaller one, then buy a cheap filleting knife over there if you can't get one from the kitchen.

thats what i though. not particulary attached to it, but didn't want the hassle of dealing with a security person, even though it would deep in my roofbox with the rest of the fishing kit.

i'll give it a miss and just take the little one, and will take (buy) a kitchen knife to the beach when i get there. its just easier to clean them with a bigger knife - thats the only reason for thinking of taking it.

Just now, wymberley said:

Quick question which might provide some help.

Where are Opinel knives made? You should blend in nicely with the locals.

looking good. might need to pick me up a souvenier. would be a shame to get fish guts over one of those though.