sanding belt cleaning

ditchman

i use my Linisher quite a bit....and the belts are quite expensive..........before i present the metal to the belt i blind the grit with french chalk.............but eventually after brushing and rubbing the belt with a rubber and cloth....they have had enuff..............

so i thought HHmmmmmmm:hmm:...what if i spray the belt with "Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner"..........so i spayed it up in the sink (just the grit side) left it for 20 mins then lightly scrubbed the belt with a nail brush............washed the belt down with warm water...then out to dry in the sun for half an hour

jobs a gooden..:yahoo:

some before and after shots...................

revamp 005tn_.JPG

revamp 001tn_.JPG

revamp 002tn_.JPG

revamp 003tn_.JPG

revamp 004tn_.JPG

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You clever old sod! Well done, good to see you using it again.:good:

never stop using it.................when i start making Harnsers knife in the autumn ...i have a very abrasive ceramic belt for cutting off lots of metal quickly.....then when the shape is there i change over to a 180 grit..........which are the belts in the pic........................but to finish before emery paper and polish i really need something smoother....which are difficult to come by...

BBUUUTTT.....................a clean worn 180 grit is just the job....for that last grind............i was quite surprised what a good job it made....

57 minutes ago, figgy said:

Be careful the Mr Muscle chemicals won't rot or damage the belts integrity and strength. Can be nasty when a belt lets go under pressure.

aye ......am aware of that......there is very little stretch in these belts...so they dont go silly when it breaks.....in the early days when i didnt know what i was doing ...i tightened a belt up tooooo tight......christ it didnt alf go BANG.......damn near emptied my bottom.....no harm done......

being such large rollers ..i dont need to do them too tight....so we will see if any damage is done by the oven cleaner...

22 minutes ago, la bala said:

I bet he swills his sugar basin out with tea. :lol::lol::lol:

are you suggesting im a tight ole ***.............(cant understand why gee...eye.... teee..........is a swear word)

Edited by ditchman

13 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Simon , i tried an old bit of hose on my belt sander , but think your idea looks loads better . Will you be doing a TV advert soon ?

what size belt have you  ?

3 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Aye, and with a boxing glove on!

love it :lol:

10 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Think they are 4x36 inch Simon, not bought any in a while .

yup ...bout' the same as mine..........think these ones are called "Deerfoss"....just did another 4 this morning...they will be just right for final cut...

Edited by ditchman

I have a 12 inch disc sander and cheap belt sander and in both cases find buying decent quality belts is well worth while - when you buy such tools they always come with a belt that seems to have about five minutes in it, i don't know if its the abrasive or the glue attaching it to the fabric but they do seem to last longer - I'm a fan of "klingspor"

( if you dont have a seriously solid bit of kit like ditchmans's and have a cheap belt sender  in the shed and want more oomph out of it for instance for grinding knives, stick a big fly wheel on it where there might normally be a grinding wheel or what have you on the other side - i made one out of some MDF laminated up together and it stopped the motor stalling out under heavy use. I had this thing sitting about for ages, a friend wanted to use the workshop to make a knife and the piddly thing was not up to the job, modified it with an angle adjustable table and a big fly wheel which meant it would run flat out at its highest RPM and not stall under load; making the fly wheel is as simple as drawing round a dinner plate onto some thick ply or MDF and drilling a center hole and mounting it in place of a grinding wheel. Just thought it might help someone!  )

what i purposly did was to go for a big high touque motor...then slowed the belt down by changing the pulleys......then use mid range belts for general sanding...and expensive ceramic belts for stock removal................at slower speeds there is less heat produced  ...and it tends to cut rather than abrade....and it is easier to keep an eye on the fine cuts at a slow speed

(im bricking myself when it comes to Harnsers knife in the autumn...:lol:..)

like the idea of upgunning a budget belt sander...:good:

1 minute ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Ditchy there are loads of 4 X 36 belts on the bay from 80 through to 2000 grit, l'm sure you will find something to suit your need prior to starting Harnser's knife, and all of them for not a lot of beer tokens.

Heaven forbid man 

are you suggesting that ditch spends some actual money ??

if he can’t fix these belts I can see him using dried dogfish skins before he parts with cold  cash ??

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Heaven forbid man 

are you suggesting that ditch spends some actual money ??

if he can’t fix these belts I can see him using dried dogfish skins before he parts with cold  cash ??

Sorry my mistake, maybe a Facespace/Pinterface fundraising plea amongst the members along the lines of Old Engineer Requires Funds To Carry With Hobbies would suffice.

l'll put in 10 pence.?

2 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Sorry my mistake, maybe a Facespace/Pinterface fundraising plea amongst the members along the lines of Old Engineer Requires Funds To Carry With Hobbies would suffice.

l'll put in 10 pence.?

10 pence ????

far to much he would waste 4 pence on a session with big Mary 

think we had better just send him some old worn sanding belts or a pot of glue and a few road planings so he can make his own ?