Filling holes in a brick wall

Zapp

I'm after some advice please.

We are having some work done at home which will leave us with a couple of holes in an external wall.  One will be from the flue vent of an old gas heater and the other from the removal of an old soil standpipe, so we are talking 8 to 10 inches in diameter.

What would be the best way to fill these?  Is it having new brickwork put in, or is there another way?

Many thanks in advance.

You need to cut the hole out to full bricks to allow for the replacements. Use a small cold chisel (or plugger) take your time and don't just try to smash out with a lump hammer as depending on the type of brick you could end up damaging more than necessary. ? 

25 minutes ago, Zapp said:

No, red brick

If you're stuck for a brick match, there's a very good reclamation yard in Wellingborough on the Finedon Road (Reddings or something like that) that has a large selection of used bricks. About 200 yards out of W'Boro over the railway bridge on the left hand side.

Not cheap and "customer service" is yet to arrive but well worth a visit.

ATB

10 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

If you're stuck for a brick match, there's a very good reclamation yard in Wellingborough on the Finedon Road (Reddings or something like that) that has a large selection of used bricks. About 200 yards out of W'Boro over the railway bridge on the left hand side.

Not cheap and "customer service" is yet to arrive but well worth a visit.

ATB

Great, I'll have a look, thanks.

If you are going to the reclamation yard zapp take the rest of the brick out to the cement line and take the piece of brick with you to try to match it up whenputting back in take out any bricks that are cut for the vent and just relay new bricks I know all the bricklayers on the forum will say get one in to Do a proper job but you are only replacing a few it's not that difficult just have a go you will be pleased with yourself if it turns out looking good 

13 hours ago, Zapp said:

That's the other option, but I'm not sure I want 2 vents in the room.

Perhaps we are saying the same thing but just fill the holes as best as possible externally, and then screw vent covers over the filled holes to disguise them!

Failing that you will need a decent bricklayer, it isn't generally easy to do a near invisible job!

Edited by Dekers

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Are you in flinty country ?  If so make a feature of them and put flints in ...used to know the old term for it, no doubt some good old Southener will come up with the term.

Is flint knapping the term you`re thinking of ? It applies to wall building as well as cutting flints for flintlocks.

OB