More problems for wildfowlers in Scotland

Moderators hope this is permitted. This is the latest challenge to those of us wildfowl in Scotland. Since this hit our doormats we have been working With BASC to challenge this decision. All who can support our case to overturn these proposals should write to SNH or Natural Scotland as they now call themselves to voice their opposition. The more noise that is created the greater our chance of success. I will email the full details to anyone who pms their email address. BASC press announcement is: 

BASC statement on wildfowling at Caerlaverock

On the 6 August 201, BASC was informed by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) that they have decided to make significant changes to the way the wildfowling permit system on this famous reserve on the Solway estuary is to be administered. This notification comes just three weeks before the start of the wildfowling season on the 1 September.

The email we received, which has subsequently been sent to all who have had wildfowling permits in previous seasons, refers to the challenge faced by SNH given the decline in their budget and how best to run a financially sustainable scheme at Caerlaverock.

While we were aware of the SNH concerns, and have participated in meetings with them and others earlier this year, we had also offered to help in recent weeks by explaining how BASC, throughout the UK, assists with wildfowling management at other sites. This offer had not been accepted.

The SNH proposals are (“subject to the resources being found and the risks adequately addressed”):

• The permit scheme will not start until mid-October – six weeks after the start of the season
  • There will be no wildfowling for two weeks at Christmas – traditionally a favoured time for local and visiting wildfowlers
  • No shooting to take place on Fridays and Saturdays – normally the only time local wildfowlers can enjoy their sport
  • Changes in boundary that restricts shooting area
  • A reduction in the number of permits issued, from 188 last season to a maximum of 90
  • A bag limit of four birds
  • No shooting of any ducks – “this is because the numbers of ducks was (sic) extremely low last year”
  • No punt-gunning permits

Dr Colin Shedden, BASC director Scotland said: “These restrictions not only decrease levels of participation in wildfowling, for locals and visitors alike, but reduce the area available to wildfowlers and the quarry that could legally be shot.

“There are no documented or justifiable reasons of safety or shooting behaviour to support these proposals and instead of producing long-term data on overwintering duck populations, as one would expect from a statutory conservation body, reference is just made to a subjective comment on low duck numbers.

“In addition to the impact on wildfowlers themselves, SNH must consider the knock-on financial effect to the many hotels and holiday cottages that visiting wildfowlers use, as well as many other local businesses.

“While we were unable to discuss these suggested proposals with SNH area staff on the 7 August we have spoken with senior SNH staff.  It was agreed that it would clearly be in everyone’s interest to meet as soon as possible and seek to resolve both the concerns of SNH, that appear to be resource-focussed, and those of local and visiting wildfowling interests.  BASC Scotland hope to attend such a meeting with SNH, Caerlaverock and District Wildfowlers and Scottish Solway Wildfowlers Association.”

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

+1 I don't get the connection between declining budgets and these proposals?

Surely with declining budgets you would not decrease the permits as they equate to paying into the local economy in many ways overnight stays being one example.

I hope some common sense will come but I sadly doubt it.Further restrictions could follow over the next few years.

First NRW then NE now SNH........all attacking coastal wildfowling with un-scientific restrictions, arbitrarily introduced and enforced by regulation!

Cowardly, underhand, bullying attack on a minority sport by government official "regulators".....because they can!

In answer to some of your comments permits at Caerlaverock have always been free of charge. The declining budgets are used as the reason for the lack of wardening. The answer is to cut the shooting to the number of days they can afford to put wardens out. Beggars belief and indicates a thorough misunderstanding of how wildfowling works. Worse still it has no regard for the economic benefits brought to the area by visiting Fowler’s. This will massively impact the community I represent and the decision must be reversed and proper consultation undertaken with all stakeholders including my Communiy Association which represents individuals and businesses alike.

The offers to assist by local wildfowlers and clubs has simply been disregarded!

On seeing this yesterday I felt a few questions should be asked.

The foreshore belongs to the queen, if you were to shoot in a permitted area without a permit which law do you break?

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for shooting Crown foreshore in Scotland below TAHWM in an area where permits are in use?

I reckon with a good lawyer if it ever came to court you could not be prosecuted after all you can't be prosecuted for a law that is given by Her Majesty?

Permits were originally only used to monitor the number of birds being shot for research purposes and also to identify vehicles parked in obscure places at weird times and also to help that person if they were not to return.

They were never about the right to shoot as that is already quite clear in law!

19 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

On seeing this yesterday I felt a few questions should be asked.

The foreshore belongs to the queen, if you were to shoot in a permitted area without a permit which law do you break?

Often, a local by-law is created to introduce the permit system.   Shoot without a permit, you break the local by-law, and therefore carry out an offence that can be prosecuted in court.  Not sure which courts can prosecute.

The Caerlaverock merse belongs to the Duke of Norfolk's estate.

The outer sand/mud is owned by the Crown Estate (not by the Queen). Reserve bye-laws "permit activities which would otherwise be illegal".

It was the first such reserve with controlled wildfowling to be set up and was regarded as a model for later projects such as Aberlady Bay, Bridgewater Bay and Lindisfarne. The reserve, with its human activities such as shore shooting, wildfowling and haaf-netting has run successfully since 1957 and last summer there was a celebration of it held in the hall at Glencaple. There was no hint then of any change in the management.

my correspondence with the local head honcho for SNH some years ago left me in absolutely NO doubt that he was anti-shooting and in bed with the azoles at RSPB...probably also + WWT....and they were obviously attempting to direct local authority policy towards their ends.

If you want to lodge objections I suggest you direct them at Dumfries&Galloway local authority - indicating your interest, AND your proposed expenditure into the local economy.

Good Luck.

Dave, you know that by now you have the support of wildfowlers all around the UK. I have some good friends in the area and although it's a few years since I last went afloat down the Nith I have sent a (I hope) strongly argued if not strongly worded letter to the SNH folk. I am sure many others will do the same rather than just sounding off online.

Remember the old WAGBI motto "Non sibi cunctis" - not for one but for all.

6 hours ago, Piebob said:

Good luck Dave.  I left BASC on the back of the Findhorn fiasco, and I'm not even a wildfowler! 

What was that then?

I’ve no doubt the BASC legal team are working late into the night preparing a challenge for this situation ... 

right after they get done with their expense claims and proposals for their salaries no doubt ... ?