More problems for wildfowlers in Scotland

There are a number of misconceptions on this thread - probably by Englishmen. ?

The Crown "owns" very little Scottish foreshore. The point is that, in Scotland, the Crown holds in trust for the public, a right to resort to the foreshore for recreational purposes, including wildfowling, irrespective of who owns it. That is why we can go wildfowling on foreshore that is owned by the RSPB - such as on the north shore of the Tay estuary and at Skinflatts on the Forth estuary. On LNRs and NNRs, that right is taken away by the reserve byelaws and the managing agency can issue permits to do things (like shooting) which are banned in the byelaws.

If SNH lack the resources to adequately manage the reserve, they should pass over the job to an agency that can do it properly. How about a consortium of local wildfowling and conservation clubs and societies?

BASC must be given wholehearted support to fight this impending injustice. In-fighting between BASC members and BASC detractors will merely hasten the demise of wildfowling.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo57 said:

The Crown "owns" very little Scottish foreshore. The point is that, in Scotland, the Crown holds in trust for the public, a right to resort to the foreshore for recreational purposes, including wildfowling, irrespective of who owns it. That is why we can go wildfowling on foreshore that is owned by the RSPB - such as on the north shore of the Tay estuary and at Skinflatts on the Forth estuary. On LNRs and NNRs, that right is taken away by the reserve byelaws and the managing agency can issue permits to do things (like shooting) which are banned in the byelaws.

If SNH lack the resources to adequately manage the reserve, they should pass over the job to an agency that can do it properly. How about a consortium of local wildfowling and conservation clubs and societies?

BASC must be given wholehearted support to fight this impending injustice. In-fighting between BASC members and BASC detractors will merely hasten the demise of wildfowling.

As an "englishman" I did not know this so learnt something.. I agree with younlast points, work together rather than in fight would be a good direction to go in. 

53 minutes ago, Jimbo57 said:

I learnt something too. If the local wildfowling groups could get together then hopefully BASC can match there contribution if required for the benefit of retaining the shooting. 

Everyone needs to email the SNH reserve managers asking for an explanation and ask why if SNH are struggling with resources don't they  the wildfowling scheme to BASC or local wildfowlers  to manage. Copy in SNH chief executive.

The reserve manager is Suzanne McIntyre and her details are on the NNR website. 

The more email enquiries and formal complaints the better . 

Unfortunately i couldn't get to the basc rep in the wildfowling tent as there was a que and i got lured into the weekend away raffle then dragged away by my screaming 3year old! I hope others have better luck and this gets challanged at a serious level by people with more policical knowledge in this area

26 minutes ago, greenshank1 said:

Everyone needs to email the SNH reserve managers asking for an explanation and ask why if SNH are struggling with resources don't they  the wildfowling scheme to BASC or local wildfowlers  to manage. Copy in SNH chief executive.

The reserve manager is Suzanne McIntyre and her details are on the NNR website. 

The more email enquiries and formal complaints the better . 

I’ll try and do this this week. Unlikely to ever shoot there but I don’t like the way things are heading. Findhorn was a bad enough mess!

8 hours ago, Jimbo57 said:

In Scotland, the Crown holds in trust for the public, a right to resort to the foreshore for recreational purposes, including wildfowling, irrespective of who owns it. That is why we can go wildfowling on foreshore that is owned by the RSPB 

I don’t really understand this bit,(the part about LNR’s and bylaws makes sense). How does RSPB ownership,(or anyone else’s for that matter) not remove our right to wildfowl? Otherwise what’s the point in them owning it at all? I’ve always understood it as the crown owning everything below mean high water mark.

From a dumb Scot :lol:

Having a quick look and Scottish by-laws copy the policy below.

To me it says that management can be used and if this is not adhered to then a by-law can be granted but it doesn't seem a straight forward process and one the council needs to write!

Up in Moray the council made it perfectly clear they had no desire to write by-laws,.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-government-legislation-byelaws