In Transit

Longbower

Why would free floating barrels prevent this? Surely a supported barrel is far less likely to move when bumped around in a bag or the boot of your car - bit like saying that I can hold my fishing rod more rigid with one hand than with two? Free floating barrels have never been promoted as being more robust as far as I can recall.

Yes they are  .its exactly because they are only suppprted very strongly at one end instead of weakly at 2 points that the barrel flexes  slightly and returns to exactly the same position every time ..

For example air arms s410 will a 11 mm  barrel  is very well known for being bumped off zero as the front support shifts and holds the barrel in the wrong place .

2 hours ago, Longbower said:

Do  any of you have  rifles that wonder off zero , when you carry them in a gun slip or case , in a vehicle?

see what you've started ??

I've had trouble years ago when going on a push bike, what scope and gun are you having bother with?

I'm always careful that my gun is perfectly flat in the boot, and its a floating barrel ? 

I must have 2 unique S410's then cos neither has shifted zero (apart from when changing scopes!) since I've owned them - had the odd occasion where I thought zero had shifted but back home on a soft rest and bang on. As for the front support shifting, as long as the screws are tight then you would need considerable force to twist the barrel - not a design fault but surely a lack of care or brain cells. The BSA barrel is held in place by 2 tiny grub screws, same as the AA, the only difference is the larger dia of the barrel - but you then have to bring the quality of manufacture into the equation to ascertain which is most firmly held - both are also fitted into an alloy body I believe - hardly a recipe for robust construction. Anyhow - next time I go sea fishing I will bow to my superiors and hold the rod, one handed, just behind the reel. Free floating a barrel is all about harmonics and preventing anything touching the barrel and thus affecting it in any way and not to do with strength. Let's run a simple experiment - you clamp your BSA to a workmate, or similar, and fire a shot downrange - note it's position then hang a 3kg weight off the end of your barrel and fire another - I will do likewise with  my S410, then lets see who's point of impact drops the most.

Edited by bruno22rf

I will hold up my hand to  being cack handed and short of a few brain cells occasionally, as I have clonked the gun slip and knocked the barrel off true. Accidents happen.

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Anyhow - next time I go sea fishing I will bow to my superiors and hold the rod, one handed, just behind the reel. Free floating a barrel is all about harmonics and preventing anything touching the barrel and thus affecting it in any way and not to do with strength.

?

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just don't abuse your guns is the answer.  Mine ride around in a 30yr old Landy over some crazy ground but I always make sure they are safe and fully supported. Never had a problem

It is normally ME that shifts zero with my shaky old hands and buck fever

I was hoping to get over the buck fever with time ☹️

8 hours ago, Longbower said:

Do  any of you have  rifles that wonder off zero , when you carry them in a gun slip or case , in a vehicle?

Simply? No. The only time zero shifts on any of mine is when I catch the turrets putting them in or taking them out of the slips. I5 helps if you have full length zips on your slips and lower the rifle in from the top rather than shoving it in an open ended slip. 

Have never had a zero shift on any of the PCP's I have owned, including the S410.

But I seen it in 3 air rifles I was asked to ' sort out ! '

2 had cheap knackered scopes with broken innards.

The third was good but had a parallex setting not appropriate to the range an air rifle is used, I think it was about 100y to infinity. 

Thus at 35y, with slight head movement on the stock you could see the crosswire moving off the target.

Edited by Robertt

If a decent scope is fitted correctly using quality mounts (and creep stopper if a springer) correctly tightened the poi zero at a given distance should never change. Problems arise when parts loosen or are of poor quality. Any scope is only as good as its mount and not all mounts are equal.

If transporting them in a vehicle do as I do and either lie them on a padded surface (rear seat works) in their slips or in the boot on some old pillows.

Never pick up a rifle by its scope either which I have seen many do.

23 minutes ago, jantar said:

Never pick up a rifle by its scope either which I have seen many do.

There is a bit of a fashion for this amongst some HFTers which I'm pretty sure didn't help my scope woes earlier in the year. 

It's something I make a point of not doing now. 

Its far easier to use a sling, the best in my opinion being a tactical type neck loop with a single snapclip to clip to the rifle (mine goes on the trigger guard safely keeping the muzzle pointed downwards) and keeps my arms and hands free for other uses such as gates and obstacles. All rifles have trigger guards so 1 sling fits all.

Hope that helps.